TN: 2004 Ruffino Chianti Classico Riserva Ducale Oro

JimHow

TN: 2004 Ruffino Chianti Classico Riserva Ducale Oro

Post by JimHow »

• 2004 Ruffino Chianti Classico Riserva Ducale Oro - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico (6/9/2009)
    Nice effort. Tasty, enjoyable. Earthy, mushroomy. Tannins are smooth, acidity in check. 13.5%. This is probably the best vintage I've had of this wine. Worth the $27 price I paid in NH, but I wouldn't pay the $40 fee being asked in NYC. I'll pick up a few more bottles in NH this weekend for consumption over the next seven years or so. (90 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
Comte Flaneur

Re: TN: 2004 Ruffino Chianti Classico Riserva Ducale Oro

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Despite the chintzy label, this a very good wine Jim and should last 15+ years...for the price it is a steal...I have the 1997, which is drinking beautifully now, and even the 1990 is still drinking well
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks for the confirmations, Comte, there are over 400 bottles left in the NH system, perhaps I'll buy a case or two.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

In my experience, this wine can age and improve wonderfully. I recently had the 1985 and it was awesome.
jal

Post by jal »

I think the 2004 vintage in Tuscany in general and in Chianti in particular is very successful. I have had mixed results with 2005 Chiantis so far.
Best

Jacques
stefan

Post by stefan »

I have not drunk the '04 yet, Jim, but the label is very reliable. I wish I still had some from the 1990s.

stefan
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

Stefan/Bill

I suggest you put in a "Notify Me" on the 1990 Ruffino D'Oro. They will contac you via email when it is available either on Auction or retail. I tipped a friend to it being available on Wine Bid and he bought the 90 last Fall for $40 per btl. He got 3 btls in perfect shape.

PD/John
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'll pick up a bunch of '04s this weekend in case anyone wants any in the future. Otherwise I'll drink 'em over the next decade. I had another bottle last night to confirm whether I liked it as much as I thought I did, and it was consistently tasty as the first bottle.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Jim,

Smart purchase - 2004 is a great year for Chianti and Ruffino Oro is very reliable.

Chris Bublitz
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You guys are enabling me big time here. There are some 430 bottles remaining in the NH system as of this evening.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Jim you can't go wrong with the Ducale Gold.
Ian, I'm a big fan of the '97 as well. BJ's wholesale club in Salem, NH sold them for $25. a pop several years ago, case after case which my friends and I hoarded. They are a great pleasure to drink now.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

SteveH wrote:Jim you can't go wrong with the Ducale Gold.
Ian, I'm a big fan of the '97 as well. BJ's wholesale club in Salem, NH sold them for $25. a pop several years ago, case after case which my friends and I hoarded. They are a great pleasure to drink now.
Wos! I have a bottle of this that I've been saving because it's one of the very rare times that my wife bought wine and she actually bought it at a BJ's Wholesale in NJ in the late 90's. It looks like it's time stored in my wine ref is due.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I bought a bunch in NH this afternoon on my way back from NYC, but a half dozen were consumed at my niece's debutante party late this afternoon (by the adults, of course). It was a delicious, crowd-pleasing drink!
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

As we all know, tomatoes are usually a wine killer. It remains a great mystery to me that aged Chianti such as Ducale Gold makes perfect harmony every time with a certain homemade tomatoe sauce. This sauce is made from, all things, canned tomatoes. Thay are called, "San Marzano, D.O.P." You may buy this in any Italian neighborhood grocery store. I am not the chef, but Susan will gladly share her recipe if anyone is interested. All foods can be nicely paired with the correct wine.