TN: young and old BDX

AKR

TN: young and old BDX

Post by AKR »

WBP and I (and our spouses) got together last night and threw back quite a bit of wine. We started with a charcuterie & fish platter, and then segued into a caprese tomato salad, followed by turkey breast, corn pudding, and squash chips. Dessert was mini key lime pies.

I didn't take formal notes, so these are more my impressions.

12 Barde Haut [St Emilion] Decanted for a hour. Room temperature. 14% abv. Purple core, lots of sweet fruit, oak treatment. Modern style plummy St Em. Richens up over the night, which is a good sign. If I had to compare it to other recent vintages of B-H we've had I think the 2000 is a bit better, but its better than 1998 and 1999. Very likable wine, sexy coffee notes, and one to acquire. A- for me.

12 Haut Bergey rouge [Pessac Leognan] Decanted for an hour. Room temperature. 12.5% abv, which seems low for modern BDX. They make a blanc too, but I've never tried it. This had a bit more tannin than the Barde-Haut perhaps reflecting the difference in the cepage i.e. more cabernet. Very likable, but I preferred the Barde-Haut. I think both of these wines will get better, and my personal preference is a little more aging. Not sure I would buy this smoky wine personally though, I have a lot of stuff like it. B+

96 Leoville Poyferre [St Julien] Decanted for 3 hours, served cool. 13% abv. When the colors of this are compared to the younger wines, one can really see the age in the color. Its a rusty red with light edges and is mature now. However continue to get better as the night goes on, and its at no risk of tipping over. Classic notes of cedar, pencil, minerals. The tannins are resolved. Compared to the B-H it has a shade more concentration, depth of finish. I'm going off memory, but in this vintage I liked liked its neighbors LLC and L. Barton better, but its still an excellent wine. I'd consider this a traditional Medoc in this vintage. A- for me. It's nicer than the 96 Lagrange we had recently though.

86 Nairac [Barsac] Served chilled. 13.5% abv. fairly dark honey color for a sweet Bdx. Only medium bodied and shows a little cinnamon, ginger on the nose. It has lost whatever crisp edge it might have had, and doesn't have either the honeyed texture, or the laser acidity, that (I think) good Barsac/Sauternes typically show. I realize at age 30 there is quite a bit of bottle variation, so experiences vary, but I recommend drinking this up. Maybe a B-. Despite all that, this was drained very fast!

We also started with a superb St Joseph - Guigal's 2006 Lieu Dit rouge. Wow! That deserves a separate note.

This link might work

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP ... IzlDRoGF8f