1994 Gloria (St. Julien)

Elmo

1994 Gloria (St. Julien)

Post by Elmo »

As per the order of our benevolent dictator, I am posting this TN on a good wine that I've had recently. At this point, I must beg you all not to be too harsh on the below, it's one of the first TNs that I ever tried to write up...

To be precise, this wine was a (for me) rather old St. Julien; 1994 Ch. Gloria. I've had it three days ago, June 16, to celebrate the birth of my third child and first daughter: Lara. She rocks my world, so it's only fitting that we drink something special to herald her arrival.

Opening was simple pop&pour, eating was simple tournedos steak.

On the nose, I got a huge amount of blackberries and cassis. There seemed to be something else, but I still am unclear as how to identify it. It wasn't really chocolate, but it did really remind me of it. Maybe I just have a fixation for the stuff??

Anyway, when tasting, I was really impressed with how good everything came together. The tannins seemed well integrated, nothing sticking out. The cassis / blackberries ruled the pallet too, but there was a clear tone of woody vanilla there too. I think I also tasted a licorice-like component, especially on the after taste.

All in all, a great wine! (although it pales in greatness compared to the wonderful miracle that was bestowed on us when Lara was born).
stefan

Re: 1994 Gloria (St. Julien)

Post by stefan »

Congratulations on the birth of Lara, Elmo.

Always a good value and attractive young, Gloria ages surprisingly well.

stefan
JimHow

Re: 1994 Gloria (St. Julien)

Post by JimHow »

Great stuff, Elmo, thanks for sharing your note. Others here are more expert on gloria than I, but I wonder if that's about the time Gloria started improving in quality?

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter Lara!