2007 leitz dragonstone

William P

2007 leitz dragonstone

Post by William P »

I am just back from my annual vacation which means riesling. Since Hawaii is not known for its wine culture or shops, I had a case shipped from K&L. The best were the Leitz Drangonstone and Dragonstone Spatlese. Both these wines were incredible. Either is a case purchase. Both exhibit wonderful balance, zest and intense minerality. The Dragonstone regular does not approach the Spatlese sugar levels so it is perfect for those hot summer afternoons. A clean and tart finish - perfect. The spatlese is a round, sweeter and more intense wine. These are incredible value wines and I recommend that you give them a try if you see them.

On a down note, don't bother with Kalinda bottlings which is K&L's riesling line. Not a value, just cheap.
DavidG

Re: 2007 leitz dragonstone

Post by DavidG »

Bill, I've heard so many good things about this one... your note has pushed me over the edge and this is going on my "buy" list. We don't drink a lot of Riesling but I do like it. Is it something that will hold, or even improve, with time in the cellar, or is it a drink up in the next 2-3 years sort of wine?
William P

Post by William P »

David, I think both will last two or three years. The spatlese may last longer.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I bought a case of this wine for a few years starting in 2001. It was always a great wine for sipping on the deck in the heat of the summer. But I never finished my case during the summer and was not in the mood for it during the winter - I'm not a very regular consumer of Asian food. So come the next year, I'd buy another case and then try to finish off the prior year's bottles first. So then I never finished the new case. I finally stopped buying with the 2005 vintage, and still have the better part of a case left. I would agree it's best in it's release year, but still good during the second year. After that I think it may be a bit unpredictable.

Jon
Rieslingfan

Post by Rieslingfan »

I am still sitting on several bottles of both the 2001 and 2002. They are incredible now. Folks need to know that Dragonstone is spatlese quality juice before it gets lightly chaptalized for a little more oompf. It has predictable German Riesling longevity, as well as somewhat predictable German Riesling shut down periods.

I was not a fan of the 2003, 2005 or 2006, but the 2007 is as good as the 2002. No version has ever come close to the outrageously fantastic 2001 (then only known as Rudesheimer Drachenstein Riesling - pre-Dragonstone name).

The 2007 Leitz Rudesheimer Klosterlay Riesling Kabinett is notably superior to the 2007 Dragonstone, and I urge folks to pick up any they find still in the marketplace.
gmarie

Post by gmarie »

I love to drink Riesling in the summer - I've been looking for this wine in several wine stores in DC.
David, did you buy/find leitz dragonstone locally? Tom has been on the look out too.
gail
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Gail, I got some from Bin 604 in Baltimore. At $18/btl, it wasn't as cheap as a lot of other stores, but it wasn't worth buying elsewhere and paying for shipping.

I'll echo the comments above - really nice wine for summer.
gmarie

Post by gmarie »

Thanks David-
I was working in Balto. yesterday and stopped in Bin 604 - quite a store!! Gotta get Tom there to see it. Looking forward to trying the Leitz D.
Another good reisling we tried last weekend was Joh Jos Prum wehlener sonnenuhr kabinett 2007 - lots of crisp but smooth tropical fruits- very enjoyable to sip.