"Birthday" Wines in Fort Collins

Blanquito

"Birthday" Wines in Fort Collins

Post by Blanquito »

I had some of my Fort Collins wino buddies (who often "don't get" Bordeaux, something about tannins) over to my house to belatedly celebrate my birthday. We cooked up some meat and raided my cellar. All in all, lots of well-performing wines.

2001 Alfred Merkelbach Riesling Auslese Urziger Wurzgarten (Fuder Nr 16 / 01)
This is terrific, as expected for a 2001. It combines power and elegance, sweetness and stony minerality in an exhilarating fashion. Aromatic, pure, and long, it is young but open now. Much better balance than other Merkelbach’s I’ve had, which can veer too much towards the sweet-tropical side at the expense of zest and acidic verve for my tastes. 93 pts.

1986 Girard Napa Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve
Dry, old-school, austere, but long, dense and excellent. Nicely aromatic with some pleasant funk, mint, and iron. I picked this up for a song, and wished I’d bought more. The tannins were still evident and hard/iron-esque, but they soften with air. More Bordeaux than Napa, although it lacked the earthiness and leather of a true claret. 91 pts.

1998 Fontenil
I bought this on release, when it was all suave blueberry and herbs. It has aged nicely, with a balanced Bordeaux character, but it is a Michel Rolland merlot, so there’s chocolate and black cherry liqueur. While texturally soft, it still has a fair amount of tannin, which I like, but a few sissies complain about. A nice showing. From magnum. 90 pts.

1994 Anderson’s Conn Valley Napa Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Reserve
Wonderful Cali cab. One of my favorite producers, who combines the best of the old and the new. The bouquet is more old world, with some earthy notes to balance the lovely mint and cassis. On the palate, it is more Napa, with lots of black current and elderberry fruit; it is balanced, polished, long. There’s nice structure, but it plays a supporting role. I’ve had better bottles, this one might have been a bit heat damaged. Drink now or soon. 92 pts.

1988 Lafaurie-Peyraguey
Classic nose of burnt sugar, crème brûlée, Grand Marnier. Excellent body of full, sweet concentrated fruit, yet on the drier side. A little restrained. There’s a bitter, burnt note in the finish that is a slight flaw, but it’s otherwise an excellent sticky. Drink now or it will hold for decades more, probably. 93 pts.

2003 Grahams Vintage Port
Someone commented that aging port is a waste, so I cracked these two youngster. Well, this was totally primary, but wide open and awesome. Like a late-harvest Zinfandel, it is powerful and sweet, but with tons of licorice and minerally complexity. It is aromatic, powerful and simple, with brandy and black-black fruit. Really good. 92 pts.

2003 Croft Vintage Port
Very, very similar to the Grahams, just a notch down in complexity and approachability. Primary, but also wide open. Again, like a late-harvest Zinfandel, with uber-licorice and black spicy fruit. Personally, I still prefer aged, mature vintage port, but these were surprisingly enjoyable. 91 pts.
Last edited by Blanquito on Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AlexR

Re: "Birthday" Wines in Fort Collins

Post by AlexR »

Hmmm.

I see you're looking after yourself.

I trust you slept soundly after dinner? ;-).

What in the world are you doing drinking 2003 vintage Ports?! They should be for your children! ;-)))))))))))))))

Alex R.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Yes, it was quite the night. Somehow giving the keys to the cellar to imbibing friends results in a snowballing situation!

2003 vintage port, that's what I get amongst these philistines. Educational, but not something I recommend, although both bottles were 375ml.

P.S. I a determined to get to Bordeaux sooner than later, Alex. My evil plan is to shanghai Ian, Jim, and any other BWEers, to come along.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Blanquito wrote:P.S. I a determined to get to Bordeaux sooner than later, Alex. My evil plan is to shanghai Ian, Jim, and any other BWEers, to come along.
Sounds like a convention if you ask me! Gail and I are in...
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Blanquito wrote:Yes, it was quite the night. Somehow giving the keys to the cellar to imbibing friends results in a snowballing situation!

2003 vintage port, that's what I get amongst these philistines. Educational, but not something I recommend, although both bottles were 375ml.

P.S. I a determined to get to Bordeaux sooner than later, Alex. My evil plan is to shanghai Ian, Jim, and any other BWEers, to come along.
Shanghai is going to be The City of the 21st century...and the locals girls will gorge on a bit of Blanquito...one of the most exciting cities in the world...seeing is believing...we should organise a BWE tour there ITNOS...then HK, or before...
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Hmm, a trip to Shanghai and HK with someone who knows their way around sounds very appealing.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Hmm... BWE + China....

I like....
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

A BWE convention on the Great Wall...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Hmmm....
stefan

Post by stefan »

Happy birthday, Patrick. I have not noticed "a bitter, burnt note in the finish" of 1988 Lafaurie-Peyraguey. I'll look for it the next time I drink it.

stefan