TN: 70 Conseillante

Michael-P

TN: 70 Conseillante

Post by Michael-P »

70 Conseillante (22 January 09 in New York) - medium red with touches of brown tints, clear. Wow, a nose that jumps over 1m away with tons of blackberry and blueberry. Big, rich, classic pencil lead, very blueberry fruity, smooth, very spicy, smoke, pear, apple, cherry, chocolate, nice complementary complexities, good balance except for a soft and somewhat watery and fading finish. Elegant. 93
Nicklasss

Re: TN: 70 Conseillante

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks Michael.

I had a pour of that wine at the 09 convention and found it great too, as was the 82. I think i have a soft spot for La Conseillante.

Nic
sdr

Post by sdr »

LC ages better than one might expect from its relatively light body and fruit-forward style.

Still, I wouln't expect the '70 to be showing even this well. Interesting TN. Michael.

~stuart
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

As the saying goes “there are only good bottles”.

The 70 Conseillante that I brought to dinner in NY on 22 Jan 09 (along with the 59 Magdelaine and 89 Conseillante) was definitively better IMHO than the 70 I brought to the BWE Annual in DC in April. Both had wonderful finesse and complexities but the NY bottle was fresher and richer. And both were from the same case.

One of my friends at the NY dinner, a CalCab fan, remarked how amazing the 70 was as it changed so much (all good ways) with every taste. “Welcome to Bordeaux!” I responded.

And yes, I too have a soft spot for Pomerols (recall the preliminary banter for BWE Annual 07?).
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Thanks for all the notes, Michael! I think you drink as well as anyone here, despite your time in a sand-locked land...
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Yes, thanks for the notes, Michael. I think I have a bottle of 1970 Conseillante around here somewhere. I hope my bottle is in as good shape as yours have been!

Chris Bublitz