TN: 2015 Haut Bergey, Pessac-Leognan, Bordeaux

KWP

TN: 2015 Haut Bergey, Pessac-Leognan, Bordeaux

Post by KWP »

Tasting thru some 2015s trying to figure out some wines for my kiddos cousin so they both have some wine later in life. Always liked this producer, even with some mixed 2015 reviews.

Black cherry, red plum, with notes of spice and purple flowers. Palate is open and smooth after a 3 hour decant. Red and black fruits with moderate acidity and some barrel spice. Overall, I don't think this has long term potential outside of 2025 to 2030. Missing the structure and depth to be great. Will buy some for mid term consumption though as it is a nice wine.
DavidG

Re: TN: 2015 Haut Bergey, Pessac-Leognan, Bordeaux

Post by DavidG »

I have the 09 and 10 which I’m holding as I think they’re built for a longer haul than your note suggests for the 15. At my age, though, your note tempts me to pick up a few of the 15. Except for that moratorium thing...
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

I haven't anything past the 05 from HB. I found it a little heavy handed with the toasted oak for my taste and I thought it would start to integrate but it hasn't so far. This is what I had expected from the early reports of the 03s and not sure if this is unique to the 05 HB but I haven't found any love in the bottles so far and still half a case to go.Has the style changed since the 05 or are they still over oaking the wine??
Danny
AKR

Post by AKR »

We had the 2012 last year with BillP - I'd consider this to be in the modern camp - showing oak in its youth.

It's there but not crazy.
KWP

Post by KWP »

This was far from over-oaked or extracted. It was polished and glossy though. Tough to beat for $23 as a cellar defender and 3 to 6 year window.
marcs

Post by marcs »

The 2000 Haut Bergey is terrific and drinking at peak right now IMO. So that aged well

I got a whole case of the 2005 Haut Bergey and in retrospect that may have been a mistake -- agree with dstgolf that it's not integrating. I mean, it's not a bad wine, it has a lot of depth and substance and drinks smoothly, but it's just not doing anything interesting besides being fruity. I suspect the 2005s may be shut down now though so I'm just going to sit on it for another five years and see what happens.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The 2005 Haut Bergey is not a significant wine.
2012 is better.
Haut Bergey should be consumed upon release, certainly within its first ten years.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

From the Garcin stable I have always been more impressed with BH than HB.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I like the 2005 Haut Bergey. I bought two cases at a good price (under $30 for sure) and have not regretted the purchase. When I drink it I just pretend that it is a CA Cab.

I am not sure about the 2010 Haut Bergey. Lucie hates it and I no longer eat chocolate pancakes with maple syrup, so I don't know what to do with it.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Both Barde Haut and Haut Bergey are on the ripe/polished/modern side and need some time to integrate their oak. I slightly prefer the Graves-y stony notes in the Haut Bergey. I'm waiting on the 2010 and hope with time it shows better than Stefan's experience would suggest. Tried a bottle of the 2009 and liked it. Not a knock your socks off wine but worth the $30 tariff.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I just checked, and I have 6 bottles of the 2005 Haut Bergey which I purchased as futures (who knows what I was thinking doing that) for $27/each.

I have 6 bottles of the 2009 Barde Haut (which I am nervous to try given the uber ripe vintage), 2 of the 2006, and 11 (!) of the 2005 which cost $34 back in the day.

Looks like a Garcin stable check-in is in order.
marcs

Post by marcs »

JimHow wrote:The 2005 Haut Bergey is not a significant wine.
2012 is better.
Haut Bergey should be consumed upon release, certainly within its first ten years.
This is fake news, guys.

Haut Bergey ages fine, the 2000 is drinking extremely well now. Unfortunately the price has spiked to $75, not sure it's worth it at that, but back when it was $45 it was.

The 2005 Haut Bergey is definitely not a bad wine, it is rich, smooth, has good mid-palate depth, and is reasonably well balanced too. It just has not evolved yet to become interesting beyond that. I have hope that in five years it will though, I don't think the 2005s are generally in a very good place now. Jim's comment that the 2005 is not a "significant" wine is true at this point, but it might not be true in the future if it gains more interest.
Ognik

Post by Ognik »

Liked 09. Easy drinking wine. Nice value.