Poll: Is Jim How good or bad for Bordeaux?

Is Jim How good or bad for Bordeaux?

Good
89%
Bad
11%

Total votes: 9
DavidG

Poll: Is Jim How good or bad for Bordeaux?

Post by DavidG »

stefan wrote:If I knew how to create a poll, the question would be

Is Jim How good or bad for Bordeaux?

On the plus side, the BD created an outstanding internet wine site that has introduced people to Bordeaux and has led to many friendship. He pointed out the greatness of left bank 1996 and 2002 Bordeaux. Many people panned the 2002s, and some were unenthusiastic about the 1996s.

OTOH, he singly handed priced Lynch-Bages out of the range of most of us (especially the 1989), then laughed at people who bought recent vintages of L-B that did not measure up. He has encouraged followers to consume Bordeaux when they are jail bait! Even worse, he has persuaded some Bordeaux wine makers to produce wines that are attractive when they are young. He promotes the heresy that the right bank is not part of Bordeaux.

What say you, BWEers?
This is an easy "good" for me.

He’s made Bordeaux much more enjoyable by introducing me to a bunch of like-minded BWEs.
Racer Chris

Re: Poll: Is Jim How good or bad for Bordeaux?

Post by Racer Chris »

stefan wrote: Is Jim How good or bad for Bordeaux?
Yes, yes he is.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha ha I've been in trial and away, my subjects have been naughty while your kind and benevolent dictator has been gone.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jim needs some credit not only for his promotion of Bordeaux but through this site tremendous friendships have been made.

Jim's palate is surprising at times having a passion for young wines which isn't for everyone but he sure has given a heads up to many paying attention to the site regarding up and comers along with the tried and true. Yes he ruined the Lynch Bages market for himself and others especially driving the 89 prices northward. He promoted Pontet Canet while it was still reasonably priced and we'll see what happens with Tour Saint Christophe. The annual convention and off-lines around the world for many wouldn't have been possible without the enabling JimHow and for myself I say there is no doubt in my mind that he has been fabulous for Bordeaux and more.
Danny
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

Here is all I will say

My buddy is in St. Emilion...he texts me and says,
"Hey, this is an up and coming Bordeaux"
and sends a pic...the pic?

Tour Saint Christophe
Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Very bad indeed! While some blame Robert Parker, I think Jim drove the Bordeaux bull market which curtailed my ability to satisfy my sins...
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

JimHow impact on Bordeaux is highly positive. I guess that the forum he created is also positive.

Saying "things like they are" like Jim, can just help Bordeaux to figure out how good some wines are, and what other wines need to check what to change/improve to get the extra quality/enjoyment/fruit/complexity that all Bordeaux lovers look for.

It is important to have an unbiased taster like Jim, to understand what red Bordeaux is about, and navigate threw all the stormy or irrealistic comments from other board tasters, and find out where are the real excellent wines.

Nic