Poll: What is your SECOND favorite red wine region....

After Bordeaux, what is your SECOND favorite red wine region?

Australia
No votes
Burgundy
41%
California
11%
Italy
22%
Oregon
4%
Rhone Valley
15%
South America
No votes
Spain
4%
Other
4%

Total votes: 27
JimHow

Poll: What is your SECOND favorite red wine region....

Post by JimHow »

After Bordeaux, what is your SECOND favorite red wine region?
Nicklasss

Re: Poll: What is your SECOND favorite red wine region....

Post by Nicklasss »

Italy is a bit wide for answer. I like Rhône Valley Côte Rôtie, but in the south i'm not a big fan of Chateauneuf.

I have to say Bourgogne is my second favorite, as I like Chablis, Chambolle, Gevrey, Savigny, Nuits St- Georges, Beaujolais. So it makes sense.

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

in the south i'm not a big fan of Chateauneuf.
Interesting. I voted Rhone because I consistently enjoy Chateauneuf du Pape... there, I said it... yes, damn it... better than Burgundy... I'm disappointed LESS OFTEN by CdP than I am by "Bourgogne." Indeed, I am ALMOST ALWAYS NEVER disappointed by Southern Rhone, like I am CONSISTENTLY DISAPPOINTED by "Bourgogne," like we saw in DC just two months ago.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Don't get me wrong Jim. I like specific CdP like Beaucastel and some high grenache wines like Rayas, Charvin, Chapoutier, but generally the high alcohol low acidity turn me down.

I would say the same from California, that i like Ridge and a few others.

In Bourgogne, yes there are some deceptions, but the wines generally are very drinkable.

I would like to get all your Bourgogne rating vs CdP. I think you would like to prefer the later, but you could be surprise as you like the former. After all, 2005 Bourgogne are a BWE WOTY...

Nic
Last edited by Nicklasss on Wed May 02, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Flawed poll. My second favorite region isn't listed - Napa Valley.
William P

Post by William P »

I'm outraged. When is California a wine region? Despite the obvious troll, Burgundy is number two. I'm not even sure that Napa is my third. ;)

Bill
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Indeed, Bill, we've been "trolling" here on BWE since Day One.
I've heard this allegation from you before, WilliamP, that I "troll" here.
It's one of the things that has made BWE so successful, the willingness to challenge the accepted order.
"Trolling?" Let me tell you about some early "trolls," their names went by Whuzzup, Setab, Jackdaw, JScott, and, indeed, even CabFan and JimHow.
If asking what your second favorite wine region is is "trolling," then I say you are easily offended.
If that be "trolling," give me more, I say....
William P

Post by William P »

James, all benevolent dictators need a sense of humor and to appreciate one. I think you realize that I'm joking. There is nothing in the wine world that outrages me. And yes I have used the word troll before to describe your comments and if troll isn't the proper, maybe hyperbole. I understand why as I have a Page of my own that I shepherd. So take no offense, it's all in good fun.

Pax

Bill
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I like all of the wine regions in Italy. The Piedmont would hold the same spot there as Bordeaux does in France.
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

I voted Burgundy but drink a lot of Italian wine. Another interesting poll would be to vote on the top three grapes.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Assuming Bordeaux first it has to be red burgundy second.

Then Piedmont, Northern Rhône and Tuscany in that order.
jal

Post by jal »

What Ian said
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha you are right WilliamP.
I voted Rhône but probably should have picked Burgundy.
Antoine

Post by Antoine »

My preferred region is Burgundy while Bordeaux is only second...so, how do I respond?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That is blasphemy Antoine! It's blasphemy!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Bordeaux
Rhône N and S
Napa
Champagne
Mosel
Ribera del Duero
Porto
Piedmont
Burgundy (would rank much higher if whites didn’t premox)
AKR

Post by AKR »

I voted for the Rhone. New purchases are generally from that area.

I really should be trying to get more Chianti/Tuscan wines, as well as Rioja.

They are such flexible wines, even if they might not live as long as Bdx.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

My order of preference is same that of Comte, with the exception of leaving out Tuscany in the lineup. Although it's a minefield to navigate Burgundy, that's my second favorite and voted for it. However, Piedmont is virtually at the same level as Burgundy for me. I still can't get over my epiphany Burgundy wine, d'Angerville Champans...
Last edited by Chateau Vin on Wed May 02, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

CV there a pretty big gap between my fourth preference of Northern Rhône and my fifth, Tuscany.

My opinion of Tuscan wines has, however, gone up a lot in the last two years having tasted some excellent 2010 and 2012 Brunellos, and my favourite supertuscan by far, and the original - Tignanello.

Tignanello has always been good. Yesterday in London there was a big auction with a lot of Tuscan wines. I managed to get some 1985 and 1993 Tignanello, outstanding and very good vintages respectively.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

When ready or mature, I love, love barolo and Barbaresco and even the occasional barbera, but I the aging curve of Nebbiolo continues to confound.

Traditional Rioja (along with some wine from the Ribera de Duero like Vega Sicilia) are up there with the world’s finest, but traditional producers in rioja are an endangered species and you have to be at least tolerant of some American oak.

Northern Rhône is a magical wine region, but pricing and scarcity have made it much harder work of late (but I still buy). My tastes have largely left the southern Rhône behind.

“California” has enormous potential and I am a big fan of many wines being made there, but I’ve largely gravitated to their Rhône varietals as Cali Cab is either too expensive or too souless to bother (especially 1997-present).

Tuscany is a bit like California, but there are so many great wines there and Sangiovese is one of the world’s most flexible varietals and it blends so well with Cabernet in the right hands. Chianti is probably the world’s best wine region for value.
Ognik

Post by Ognik »

Piedmont. No- fake wines.
William P

Post by William P »

1. Bordeaux
2. Burgundy (I only do reds)
3. Willamette Valley
4. North and South Rhone.
5. Napa
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

I may have been too quick to pull the trigger before putting some thought into the question. My go to region for value and ready drinkers and/or short term aging is without a question Spain. I buy almost exclusive Spanish wines from restaurant wine list when they aren't BYOB and apart from Bordeaux it's what we drink second most frequently. Seldom do these reach the highs of Bordeaux or Burgundy but there are exceptions like the Vega Sicilia stable that have rivalled some of the best that I've drank but they seldom disappoint.

Burgundy I agree has my heart when it comes to white wine and more often disappoints with their reds than has the exceptional highs that I expect from Bordeaux in a similar price point. I must qualify my statement regarding reds because some of my most wonderful memories have been a few exceptional reds whose numbers pale by comparison to the disappointments unfortunately.

Champagne is always a treat but we still typically relegate it to a celebration wine and don't drink it as often as we'd like. I also love Sauterne but again it's rarely drank without a red or white with a meal and usually requires a group of friends to gather to share a bottle.

I haven't had a bottle of Australian/Chilean/Argentinian wine in years and Californian wines usually do little for us. Italian wines now reserved to pizza and spaghetti with a few chiatini's and just recently picked up a couple of Brunello's just because. We don't have access to much from Oregon so I can't commit. I haven't had a RHONE WINE IN 5 + years mostly put off by brett. The LaLas though are outstanding and rarely disappoint.

A great wine from wherever though is always a pleasure and I'm certainly open to try. What I don't like is when someone tries to convince you how good a wine is trying to gain your approval just because they paid a lot of money or the wine has been rated highly by someone and its just not to your taste.
Danny
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

dstgolf wrote: with a few chiatini's
Is that an itialian aperitif or cocktail?
:mrgreen:
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

RC

Even I got a chucle from that misprint. Thanks for catching it and the idea doesn't sound half bad with a splash of vermouth!!
Danny
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Very nice summary Danny.

My feelings about Burgundy mirror yours. The reds are too hard to navigate, even though a few have been among my all-time favorite wine experiences. Too low a percentage. I love(d) white Burgs and was really into aging them before premox hit. Even though young white Burgs can be great, I’m both disappointed in not being able to age them and angry at the region for not fixing it after 20-some years. So Burgundy gets demoted in my book.

I’m not averse to a little barnyard in my wines and am a big fan of the Rhône. N. Rhône has gotten pricey but I love them. S. Rhône requires more selectivity as I’ve fallen out of love with really ripe sweet Grenache. Cotes du Rhône is my go-to QPR and is often my restaurant list pick when it’s just Peggy and me. Similar to your use of Spain.

I have no problem with ripe Cabernet and oak, and Napa is still pretty high on my list. Prices are an issue and I cut way back on purchases a few years ago while continuing to buy French and German wines. Napa just serves a different purpose than Bordeaux or Rhône. Not really for aging so no need to cellar a ton of it. And more for a before or after dinner drink. Less alcohol than a cocktail. And even though they’re not primarily food wines with our decreased consumption of beef, a bold Napa Cabernet is still a good match with a hunka- hunka- grillin' beef.

Champagne is not just for celebration in our house. Peggy and I both love it and it’s one of our go-to white wines.

Our other go-to white has become German Riesling. Takes a bit of care and aging to avoid excessive sweetness but the complexity is great and the low alcohol levels are a benefit as well.

Bordeaux, Rhône, Champagne, Napa and Germany probably make up 90% of what we drink.
sdr

Post by sdr »

DavidG wrote:Very nice summary Danny.

My feelings about Burgundy mirror yours. The reds are too hard to navigate, even though a few have been among my all-time favorite wine experiences. Too low a percentage. I love(d) white Burgs and was really into aging them before premox hit. Even though young white Burgs can be great, I’m both disappointed in not being able to age them and angry at the region for not fixing it after 20-some years. So Burgundy gets demoted in my book.
Yeah, it’s true. Reds almost always disappoint, I sold almost all of mine.

I went cold turkey on the whites some years ago when the pox hit but got the shakes and relapsed badly. I drink them young now, still delicious and feed the jones in a way Cal Chard does not.

My second favorite red is now Brunello. Much different from Bordeaux, ages quicker but has the complexity I yearn for.

Stu
Claret

Post by Claret »

I voted Oregon, not just PN but also Chardonnay. Germany is a close contender.
Glenn
stefan

Post by stefan »

I put Burgundy second even if these days Lucie and I drink more Oregon PN than red Burgundy. We also drink northern Rhones and some CdP, Brunellos and Barolos, Ridge Zin Blends, and, very occasionally, CA cabs and Riojas. As for whites, we drink Champagne, white Burgundy, Oregon Chardonnay, Pinot Blanc & Pinot Gris, Alsatian Riesling, and, of course, Sauternes. In Israel we most often drink Israeli Bordeaux blends. Everything else is at the noise level.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I voted Italy given the scale. But if it was based more on subregions, I’d vote for northern Rhône. I’ve always liked these, but in the last 5 years or so they’re really become wines that speak to me. The style and profile there are less diverse than Bordeaux, which makes sense as the northern Rhône is 99% one grape and Bordeaux is usually 2-5 varietals, but they have the advantage of maturing much faster than claret.
jal

Post by jal »

Burgundy for me obviously, I encounter very few minefields especially since I now only buy producers that I know produce wines I love; Angerville Volnay, Mugnier NSG or Chambolles, Bachelet Gevrey, Fourrier, and a few more. I enjoy White Burgundies more than any other white wines; Niellon Chassagne, Carillon and Pernot in Puligny, but I am almost never disappointed by young white burgs.
After that, Piedmont, Northern Rhônes, and way behind, a bunch of other regions; Tuscany, Oregon, Sonoma, Rioja and Ribeira.
Best

Jacques