1970 Chateau La Gaffeliere

stefan

1970 Chateau La Gaffeliere

Post by stefan »

With left over grilled quail, Israeli cous-cous, mozzarella on tomatoes we drank

1970 La Gaffeliere. I guess it is decadent to drink with left overs a 39 year old 1er Grand Cru St Emilion in the kitchen, wearing a dirty undershirt, but that is my life...

The La Gaffeliere is very nice, with sweet cherries and cranberries. Not surprisingly, the tannins are resolved. Surprisingly, the flavors are mostly primary, with only a trace of tobacco developing with air time. This wine is not at all fragile; it is an old wine that benefits from swirling. stefan 92. Lucie 92. (Thank you, HWSNHBN, for rating this 86! :lol: )
sdr

Re: 1970 Chateau La Gaffeliere

Post by sdr »

Nice note, stefan.

I am a fan of the '70 vintage. Many seem old-fashioned now because of high acidity and modest fruit, but they make up for it in complexity and food friendliness, although your La Gaffeliere does not seem to fit my stereotype.

~stuart
stefan

Post by stefan »

Nor mine, Stuart. Maybe it was a fake. ;)

stefan
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

My luck with old La Gaffelière has not been good either...

In fact, the declassifation (since overruled by the courts) of the other de Malet-Roquefort great growth, Tertre Daugay, was wideley seen as a warning shot with regard to La Gaffelière.
I believe that the message has been received loud and clear, and that major efforts are under way to improve quality.

The man to ask about this, of course, is François who, alas, no longer posts here. He had lunch at the château with vintages going back God-knows-when.

Best regards,
Alex R.
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
My luck with old La Gaffelière has not been good either...
>>

OK, but what do you mean by "either", Alex? The '70 was really nice.

stefan