wine of the year ideas

rjsussex

wine of the year ideas

Post by rjsussex »

Bit early but my preliminary thoughts are that left bank 04s deserve reward. The last decently priced vintage (or it was!) and very BWE-style,dry and stylish middle-weights with (at their best) appetising freshness and plenty of fruit.

My candidates for value as well as quality (at their opening prices) would include GPL, Soc Mallet, Brane, Langoa, Lagrange, Durfort. Gun to my head I'd choose Soc Mallet.

Richard
Winesense

Re: wine of the year ideas

Post by Winesense »

On 2004 best value? Some ideas from a blind tasting 2007. The only premier Cru missing was Lafite, competition was tough.
On top was Domaine de Chevalier. Elegant as always, but more powerful than ever. Red Cherries and velvet. Unbelievable value.I recently retasted this wine and it is shut down now. :cry:

Other suggestions are La Fleur (St, Emilion) and Petit Gravet Aine (St, Emilion), Phelan Segur. (A jury member thought it would be Mouton, I admit I thought the same.)
rjsussex

Re: wine of the year ideas

Post by rjsussex »

Thanks, Winesense. I too like the Dom de Chevalier 04 and nearly put it in the list of best values - but the first two bottles from my case have had a rather strange green vegetably twang behind the quality fruit - perhaps your point about it actually being shut down is the explanation.

Best

Richard