TN: 2006 Château Haut-Batailley (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac)

Otto Nieminen

TN: 2006 Château Haut-Batailley (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac)

Post by Otto Nieminen »

• 2006 Château Haut-Batailley - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (8/13/2009)
    13% abv; an absurd 40€ in our monopoly, Alko. A deep red, no purplosity here. The scent is rich and loamy with dark fruit. It is delightfully savoury. Oak is noticeable but it isn't obfuscating so I guess it will sort itself out with age. With air, the scent even becomes slightly vegetal - and I found this an absolutely delightful addition to the ripe, but restrained dark fruit. Deliciously palate-cleansing with its elegant but ripe fruit, strong but ripe tannins, moderate acidity and relatively light body. Lively and crisp, it leaves a clean and refreshing taste in my mouth rather than coating it with oak and fruit as too many Bordeaux do: it seems like a classically styled Pauillac (though, to be honest, I'm not sure any such really exist any more...). I enjoyed this despite its youth. A pity our monopoly has such an absurd price for this as I wouldn't mind a couple in my cellar.
Posted from CellarTracker
Previously known as Geshtin.
William P

Re: TN: 2006 Château Haut-Batailley (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac)

Post by William P »

Thanks for the note Otto. 40 Euros for a HB is rather pricey. Too rich for my blood.
Chasse-Spleen

Re: TN: 2006 Château Haut-Batailley (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac)

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Thanks for the note on this wine, one I really like. It used to be a steal. I haven't had one since the 2000, which was excellent. The price has definitely gone up. I guess they realized it was undervalued.
-Chasse