Rioja producer - what's your favorite (if any)?

Ramon_NYC

Rioja producer - what's your favorite (if any)?

Post by Ramon_NYC »

A nice write-up on a personal favorite Rioja producer, Lopez de Heredia, in the NY Times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/12/dinin ... ref=dining

I like the fact that they only release their best wines after 10+ years of botlle aging, in addition to 6 years in the casks. I've recently enjoyed the 1987 Gran Reservas, both Bosconia and Tondonia.
Blanquito

Re: Rioja producer - what's your favorite (if any)?

Post by Blanquito »

Hi Ramon,
I used to drink lots of Rioja, partially for its value but also for its classic, food-friendly style. Things have changed a lot since the 1990's in Rioja and through Spain, arguably more there than anywhere else.

I consider Muga a great producer and this Bodega is my go-to Rioja. Remelluri is excellent (though recent vintages have been a little soft), and I often enjoy Finca Allende as a middle-of-the-road producer stylistically. Lopez de Heredia is terrific too, but I haven't had many of their wines. I wonder why the Wine Advocate has stopped rating their wines?

Monticello used to be great, but they utterly fell from grace in the 1990's.
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

Lopez de Heredia, Alion, Serria Cantabria, Muga Prado Ena ( Torre Muga too modern for me with the flashy oak), Remelluri. There is btl variation on older Tondonia and Bosconia, I've drunk them back to the 1970 vintage and when they are on they are wonderful. Similar to great aged Burgundy.
Otto Nieminen

Post by Otto Nieminen »

I like the Castillo Ygay late releases I have tried - also very traditional style but they really need lots of age: the 1970 seemed a bit too primary still last year; the '59 was drinking well, but no hurry there either!

The LdH whites can be utterly amazing though in a rather unique style that many (most?) people find difficult. Any other fans here?
Previously known as Geshtin.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Blanquito wrote:Hi Ramon,
Lopez de Heredia is terrific too, but I haven't had many of their wines. I wonder why the Wine Advocate has stopped rating their wines?
Don't know why the WA has stopped rating them, but I can gladly offer up a couple of different Lopez de Heredia to share on your next trip here to NYC.

BTW, I've also had some good experiences with a couple of vintages of the Gran Reservas 904 from La Rioja Alta. I thought that those were well-made wines, especially when properly aged.