Some Random Excellent Wines: Germany, Oregon, & Spain

Blanquito

Some Random Excellent Wines: Germany, Oregon, & Spain

Post by Blanquito »

Donnhoff Schlossbockelheimer Kerpfergrube Spatlese 2002
Nice, subtle nose of minerals, lime, honey. Great palate intensity, on the sweet side at present. Terrific attack of green apple, some honey, with great concentration and length. Overall, more sweet than acidic, probably much better in 10-15 yrs as it seems a bit disjointed now. Nevertheless, 93 points today.

Domaine Serene Two Barns Willamette Pinot Noir 2005
Starts off with a big, big nose of cinnamon, bing cherry, and distant smoky notes. It tastes very sweet, but there's plenty of balancing acidity-- ripe and tart at once, cherry-medicinal. While lighter-bodied, there's terrific favor intensity with rosemary, creosote and menthol on the tongue, this hides its alcohol nicely (14.1%). This is a very New World Pinot Noir, lovely but unsubtle. No need to hold. Really good. 93 points.

Roda I Reserva Rioja 1995
Here's a beautiful, classic Rioja, with a quintessential bouquet of sweet, gentle oak, and cherry fruit. On the palate, it harkens to a Priorat with its concentrated, seriously minerally fruit. There's flavors of iodine, BBQ spices, black cherry and slate. Full-bodied, with fully resolved tannins that are silky smooth, with an explosive finish. I loved this. 94 points.
stefan

Re: Some Random Excellent Wines: Germany, Oregon, & Spain

Post by stefan »

Patrick, has Domaine Serene gone more CA in style recently? From your note it sounds like it.

stefan
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I dunno, Stefan. This was my first Domaine Serene, but this particular vintage-and-cuvee were definitely more in the Cali style (unlike, say, Hammacher's PN). I didn't find it over-the-top though like some Cali pinot noir.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

I concur with the Rado 1. Had it for the first time in Florida this winter and thought that it was stellar. Can't remember the vintage in Florida but this Spring at our local Vintages tasting they had the 2004 for tasting and it was great. picked up a 6 pack for future use. This is not the typical earthy Rioja but a supercharged starlet. Couldn't believe this was Tempranillo. More New world Priorat meets Rioja but in a good way. Great stuff and recommended. those Spaniards are making some great wines these days.

Danny
Danny