TN: A few wines after golf

Gerry M.

TN: A few wines after golf

Post by Gerry M. »

Michael Malinoski and I hit the links yesterday. It was hot as heck but retired to my house afterwards to cool off in the pool and have a couple of bottles along with some rib cap steaks. Just a great day that we don't get to do often enough.
  • 1978 Château Talbot - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (8/31/2018)
    From a 375ml. What a shocker! Very earthy with a full bodied texture, nothing "thin" here. Had no expectations at all for this being an odd bottle in an auction lot. I'd love to have more of this but realize it's only good bottles at this point, not wines (92 pts.)
  • 1998 Château Monbousquet - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (8/31/2018)
    From a friends cellar. Very nice after a short decant. Black fruited, rich and viscous feel on the palate. Well balanced wine with no rough edges. It's not a blockbuster but quite enjoyable at this point in its life. (92 pts.)
  • 2001 Château Pape Clément - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (8/31/2018)
    Still rather primary but opened up over 3 hours. Has a very distinctive menthol, minty note to it. I'm not sure how well this will hold up over time. My plan is to drink 2nd bottle at the 10 year mark in 2021 (89 pts.)
  • NV Taittinger Champagne Brut Réserve / La Française - France, Champagne (8/31/2018)
    Drank from a 375ml. Very enjoyable everyday Champ. Slightly sweet but good lift to it. After a hot day on the golf course this was very nice sitting in the pool to cool off. (89 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
dstgolf

Re: TN: A few wines after golf

Post by dstgolf »

Gerry,

Any day on the links followed by pool/BBQ and a few good bottles with friends sounds spectacular and right in my wheelhouse. Those older Talbots have surprised me over and over. I must say that I have not had anything from the 90s on and have no idea how they are doing now with the intro of modern wine making.

The 98 Monbousquet was my first intro to this wine and probably HOW'd the bottles that I had too young. I haven't dipped into any from 2005 onwards trying to restrain myself but that 98 was a new world feminine very enjoyable wine.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful day.
Danny
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

dstgolf wrote:
Those older Talbots have surprised me over and over.
My friend that got me hooked on Bordeaux just stopped by my shop today.
He said he bought a bunch of double mags of 1974 Ch. Talbot for like $60 a case, and they've been very pleasurable as party wine.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Wow nice to hear the Monbousquet is still doing well.

I liked their chubby wines from this era.
BordeauxNut

Post by BordeauxNut »

The recent notes on the 2001 Pape Clement are interesting. I remember that wine being a big oak bomb on release. Sounds like it never really came together.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

interesting. I remember at the BWE convention in Chicago in '04 we went to Binny's (I think that's what it's called).
I remember buying a bottle of the 2001 Pape off the shelf and bringing it back to the room.
I remember drinking it with DavidG. My recollection is that we liked it.
I recall liking the 2001 d'Issan and Smith Haut Lafitte as well.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

Cordier Talbot drinks well for a very long time. We had a double magnum of 1967 Talbot in 2002 that showed extremely well and was enjoyed by a wide audience.

SF Ed
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I remember tha 2001 Pape Jim. We did like it. And right off the boat.

I also enjoyed a number of 1998 Monbousquet over the years. Very similar to Gerry's note.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The 1999-2000 Monbos are one of my “guilty” wine pleasures, threatening my AFWE cred. Glad the 98 is still kicking.