Two cases of 2015 Chateau Canon

JimHow

Two cases of 2015 Chateau Canon

Post by JimHow »

Agent How reporting from undisclosed location in New Hampshire.
Just secured two cases of 2015 Canon at $96 per bottle on sale at 15% discount.
Will report later with pictures and more details.
Over.
Attachments
IMG_0460.jpg
IMG_0460.jpg (99.57 KiB) Viewed 3779 times
jckba

Re: Two cases of 2015 Chateau Canon

Post by jckba »

That might just be one of the deals of the year! Btw I see a couple of cases in other stores in Hampton and Hooksett, any chance I can’t sway you to make a trip there?
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

jckba wrote:That might just be one of the deals of the year! Btw I see a couple of cases in other stores in Hampton and Hooksett, any chance I can’t sway you to make a trip there?
I was calling the stores yesterday to try and hold some before making the drive there and unfortunately someone beat me to the punch on all the bottles at the two Hooksett stores. The wine manager at the Nashua store was able to get the lone case at the other Hampton store transferred for me to pick locally, Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the case doesn't get hijacked on the way.

Nice score Jim!!
Frederico

Post by Frederico »

How come these are selling at such a good price? Its price has jumped 2 to 3 times since release and no where can be found in here.

I'm really envied . Sigh.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

That's because NH doesn't pay attention to current market pricing, they work on a fixed markup percentage, Many times that goes against them and hurts sales when the rest of the market is cheaper. Other times though you can occasionally find a steal, like in this case. I've has this conversation with the wine program manager for the State. He acknowledged it begrudgingly but said it was the state liquor commission that establishes the pricing policy.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

:D WIth one of the cases open, I predict only 18 bottles make it back to Maine.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Just arrived at Chateau How in Lewiston, cargo has arrived safely.
Will report more later, gotta get to court!
Frederico

Post by Frederico »

Gerry M. wrote:That's because NH doesn't pay attention to current market pricing, they work on a fixed markup percentage, Many times that goes against them and hurts sales when the rest of the market is cheaper. Other times though you can occasionally find a steal, like in this case. I've has this conversation with the wine program manager for the State. He acknowledged it begrudgingly but said it was the state liquor commission that establishes the pricing policy.
Nothing against free market economy, but sometimes I like government monopoly. 2014 Smith Haut Lafitte is still available for $120 Cdn but 2015 is asking for $200!#x?
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Heck, even at full retail their price is less than half that of the next available location within 200 miles of me in CT.
marcs

Post by marcs »

LOL I was just about to post about this deal, saw on Winesearcher this morning that the Canon was still available for $100 in NH and figured one of you New England based scoundrels would want to snap it up. I think there were six or seven cases in the whole state.

It's three hundred dollars a bottle everywhere else...rare case of Parker-era price dynamics being triggered by critical raves on a young wine. I wonder how the feeding frenzy got started.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I got the tip yesterday from Gerry.
I called the Hampton North store.
The inventory said 23 bottles, but the clerk, Debbie, couldn’t find them on the shelves.
She was closing up shop at 9pm, I told her that I really wanted every bottle they had in stock, whether it was 1 or 23.
I told her I could be there at 8am (I had to be back in Lewiston for court at 10:30am.)
She couldn’t find the wines on the shelf but that she would look out back for me.
I told her to call me anytime before midnight.
She called me at 10:27pm last night and said she found two full cases — 24 bottles — on a palette out back that had just been delivered. OWC, one of the cases was opened, one sealed.
They were waiting for me at the front counter this morning as I arrived right at 8am.
The transaction took less than five minutes, and I was back on the road to Maine.
Gerry has indeed explained the NH policy.
This is one of my best heists ever, second only to the legendary 1995 Petrus for $275 transaction, although even that was in an entirely different era.
Thanks again Gerry!!!!
Frederico

Post by Frederico »

JimHow wrote:I got the tip yesterday from Gerry.
I called the Hampton North store.
The inventory said 23 bottles, but the clerk, Debbie, couldn’t find them on the shelves.
She was closing up shop at 9pm, I told her that I really wanted every bottle they had in stock, whether it was 1 or 23.
I told her I could be there at 8am (I had to be back in Lewiston for court at 10:30am.)
She couldn’t find the wines on the shelf but that she would look out back for me.
I told her to call me anytime before midnight.
She called me at 10:27pm last night and said she found two full cases — 24 bottles — on a palette out back that had just been delivered. OWC, one of the cases was opened, one sealed.
They were waiting for me at the front counter this morning as I arrived right at 8am.
The transaction took less than five minutes, and I was back on the road to Maine.
Gerry has indeed explained the NH policy.
This is one of my best heists ever, second only to the legendary 1995 Petrus for $275 transaction, although even that was in an entirely different era.
Thanks again Gerry!!!!
Persistence wins
AKR

Post by AKR »

That is an unbelievable score, like finding $5000 on the sidewalk.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The stash has been delivered to the How cellar....
Attachments
IMG_0461.jpg
IMG_0461.jpg (104.55 KiB) Viewed 3656 times
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Well scored Jim! You made out like a bandit on that...here it is upwards of $250 a bottle.

I tried it in February at a tasting. Magnificent.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That might just be one of the deals of the year! Btw I see a couple of cases in other stores in Hampton and Hooksett, any chance I can’t sway you to make a trip there?
Just saw your note, JC. It's my understanding that all of the other cases are being held for customers.
I really lucked out this morning.
Frederico

Post by Frederico »

JimHow wrote:The stash has been delivered to the How cellar....
I saw the case underneath. Tell me about it. Had opened any bottle yet? Any tasting note?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

JimHow wrote: This is one of my best heists ever, second only to the legendary 1995 Petrus for $275 transaction, although even that was in an entirely different era.
Thanks again Gerry!!!!
Aye, me hearties, the pirate How has made off with 2 chests full of precious booty! Discovered yesterday, on Talk Like a Pirate Day no less! Aaaarrrrgh, my Canon cost me an arm and a leg! Took too long to light 'er fuse methinks. I thank me bones for me hook and wooden leg. Now be a good pirate, How, and bury them in yer cellar like the treasure they are!

And as for legendary heists, don’t forget MacArthur's 2 BWE DCs ago.
BordeauxNut

Post by BordeauxNut »

Well done, sir. Well done indeed.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Will you share some of those with us at BWE-2035?
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

stefan wrote:Will you share some of those with us at BWE-2035?
They will all be gone by next presidential election, 2020... :(
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha I will use the same strategy with these cases that I am employing with my case of Lafite: I'll drink them (with BWEers) in my old age. If for some reason I need to sell them, I don't expect they'll decline in value.

Man, I'm beat, been up since 5:30am, I felt like I put in a full day before court started for me at 10:30, was in court most of the rest of the day.

I'm excited about this purchase! But, no, there will be no young consumption of these puppies. If there were an odd number in that opened case -- like a total of 23 for example, which is what I originally thought was what was available -- then that case would probably be gone by 2020. But since they are a numerically significant full two cases of 24 bottles, I will hold them til well into my seventies.... Thank goodness there were the full 24 bottles instead of 23!
Frederico

Post by Frederico »

So, you haven't opened the '96 Lafite yet?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha that is actually a mixed case of Lafite, Jean-Fred, I think there are 7 bottles of the '96 still in there.

I wish I had bought more at the $180 I paid back in 2000 in western Mass. They had like 20 cases sitting there, I bought like a case and I remember bringing 3 bottles to JScott at BWE Chicago '01. I recall drinking 2 bottles since then, both times with BWEers who have visited me. I think that leaves 7. The other 5 bottles I think are from 1998, 2001, and 2004.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Good shot Jim for the 2015 Canon. Did I ever told you you're my favorite BD?

A great wine that Canon. You'll be very happy in the future to enjoy them. I think this wine might be your next "1989 Lynch Bages".

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It's been a really good week, my cadiac cath went beautifully yesterday, no blockages, all my organs, kidneys, liver, etc., in good shape, cholesterol still too high but we're gonna add another drug to the mix. A huge relief on the cardiac issue, we thought we had some concerns there. We are flying off to Paris on Monday for 6 nights, including hopefully a surgical strike into Bordeaux for a few hours next Friday night (the significant other does not really drink but fortunately she is a good sport and will probably -- though not guaranteed -- allow me a 12 hour excursion into Bordeaux for what is shaping up into possibly an epic event). I still can't guarantee my attendance at this point Timmy et al, it is a fluid situation, but I may be able to steal away if I can get out of Bordeaux first thing Saturday morning. We are booked for a fancy dinner for my 60th birthday in the shadow of La tour Eiffel. My doctor told me, through his surgical mask, and I quote: "You can have all the wine and cheese you want in Paris."

Life, as they say, is good.....
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks for the note, Nicola, as your favorite benevolent dictator I look forward to seeing you next week in Bordeaux!
marcs

Post by marcs »

Come on Jim, you have 24 bottles, you have to crack a bottle and give us a TN! See if it's even better than Brane Cantenac.

This bottle got coveted triple-100s from Neil Martin, Antonio Galloni, and James Suckling. OK, Suckling is not a big achievement, but rare to get all three. You can't wait 20 years before testing your palate against the elite of critic-dom!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Marcs, believe me, Canon is better than the fabulous Brane. An astounishing Saint-Émilion. I would like to try Figeac to compare.

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You bastard. You bastard. Damn you.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:It's been a really good week, my cadiac cath went beautifully yesterday, no blockages, all my organs, kidneys, liver, etc., in good shape, cholesterol still too high but we're gonna add another drug to the mix. A huge relief on the cardiac issue, we thought we had some concerns there. We are flying off to Paris on Monday for 6 nights, including hopefully a surgical strike into Bordeaux for a few hours next Friday night (the significant other does not really drink but fortunately she is a good sport and will probably -- though not guaranteed -- allow me a 12 hour excursion into Bordeaux for what is shaping up into possibly an epic event). I still can't guarantee my attendance at this point Timmy et al, it is a fluid situation, but I may be able to steal away if I can get out of Bordeaux first thing Saturday morning. We are booked for a fancy dinner for my 60th birthday in the shadow of La tour Eiffel. My doctor told me, through his surgical mask, and I quote: "You can have all the wine and cheese you want in Paris."

Life, as they say, is good.....

Jim, you know there are real good reasons to crack open one and see how it is ITNOS....

First, you can compare this against Brane and feel good about the heist... :P

Second, after all, it's your 60th...It demands a 100 pointer for the celebration and Canon would be fitting in that category... :D

Third, maybe Canon will beat Brane to the punch for BWE Wine of the Year, and you would still have 23 left!!! ;)

Finally, your are a good BD, and everyone would benefit from the early experiment... :ugeek:

What ya say???
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Even Blanquito wouldn’t Blanquito a lone bottle of the 2015 Canon ITNOS, most especially wilth 23 more ready for 50-60 years of obsessive storage and patience. Come on, you can even point to the epic deal you secured as justification for a small reward for all your guile and foresight! You deserve such a reward - one, single, measily bottle. ITNOS, and as our fearless leader.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

If reverse psychology were deemed necessary and appropriate, I'm ready and willing. But I don't think it is.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

CANON! CANON! CANON! CANON! CANON!
stefan

Post by stefan »

Have a great time in Paris, Jim.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks Stefan, looking forward to a little break.
It's been an insane year.
We're gonna be there 6 nights.
It's my 60th birthday, Timmy's 50th birthday, and Alex is retiring.
That calls for a celebration!
Rumors have it that some guests from the UK and Canada are going to be in the area as well....
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jim,

Still waiting in CDG airport after missing this am flight to Bordeaux ruining the day of touring with Alex. Storms ripped through Ottawa last eve with tornado touching down and wiping out some homes/stores. My daughter moved into our house when power went out in the west end and telephone poles snapped everywhere didn't give her much hope power would be restored any time soon. Thought we were ahead of the storm flying out of Montreal but with Air France delay it caught up to us causing a further delay and here we still sit with 7 hr layover exhausted. Looking forward to the rest of the trip and hooking up with Alex in a few hrs. Should be a good two weeks and a bit if the rest starts to improve!! See you soon along with whatever mystery guests to show up at Tim's next weekend. Lots to celebrate!!
Danny
Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Congratulations! well done
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I’ll start this like a letter to Penthouse Forum:

I thought this kind of thing only happened to other people. Like rock stars and Benevolent Dictators. Never to me. But I just had to write about the experience I had today.

There’s a pretty nice wine store in the new shopping center we’ve been frequenting since our move. Very good selection of wines, excellent even for the area, and really deep on Scotch, Bourbon and some less-available beers. Prices are on the high side, ok when things are on sale. I browse more than I buy. Today they were having their 5th anniversary sale with 35% off select wines marked with a red dot. I did a much more careful inventory this time around.

Lo and behold, way up top in the back temp-controlled room where they keep the good stuff and the older vintages, not easy for me to see with my neck issues, there is a 2015 Canon with the red dot. Marked down from $140 to $91. I asked if they were sure this was supposed to be part of the sale. Yup, rung up at $91/btl. They have a case. I took 6 and left the rest for the next sharp-eyed BWE.

Picked up a few others at decent prices, which I’ll put in the bought lately thread.