New baby in Bordeaux - my take on 2018 vintage

greatbxfreak

New baby in Bordeaux - my take on 2018 vintage

Post by greatbxfreak »

BORDEAUX IS WELL ON THE WAY TO HAVE A POSSIBLE VINTAGE OF THE CENTURY!

Incredible things happen and it seems Bordeaux will enjoy a fifth succesful vintage in row. 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018!! It's never happened before like that and 2018 is according to several chateau owners better than gloriously distinguished 2016 vintage and among the three best vintages they've ever made.

It was a year of two extremes - a lot of rain in the spring causing quite many outbreaks of mildew, which mostly attacked Merlot and a glorious summer durings months of July, August and September. All these three months were particulary dry and created fundament for great quality.

Water from the spring showers was well stored in limestone/clay based soils, allowing vine roots to "drink" it when they needed to. Mildew cut production at some chateaux by app. 50%. Grapes from vines on gravelly soils saw pretty small to me.

Warm days and cool nights did once again preserve aromas and freshness.

With long term forecasts promising perfect weather during harvest, there was no need to rush it but you could risk high alcohol levels if you waited too long. Harvest in two colors started at normal time in Bordeaux, white finished by mid September while red finished more or less on Right Bank by 5th October while late ripening soils (f.i. around St.Etienne de Lise) have more or less finished by mid-October. Haut Medoc should also be over harvest by mid-October.

Sauternes & Barsac I think is still waiting for great attack of botrytis.

Yields will be normal in 2018, except chateaux who suffered from mildew. One hallmark of 2018 which is very difficult to avoid to mention, is the color of the mousse (foam). Pink-red color witnessed huge fatness and big concentration. Last vintage, I saw this color in was 2000! The other things were red stilks many places and also red seeds inside grapes, which witnessed big, big ripeness inside and outside grape skins. Those skins were thick as well!

Dry whites will not be close to quality of reds in 2018, mainly due to lack of acidity and concentration.

I've tasted a big number of 2018 samples directly from the vats before and after the alcoholic fermentation. Fantastic sweetness and concentration.

Yes, we have something extraordinary here but it will be confirmed 100%, when malolactic fermentation is over and when big tastings during primeur next year will be staged! For sure, nothing can go wrong. :D
Last edited by greatbxfreak on Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Re: New baby in Bordeaux - my take on 2018 vintage

Post by JimHow »

Wow! Thanks for the update GBF, this is crazy!
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Speaking of the "vintage of the century" (which century?) may indeed be justified, but it is the sort of expression that unfortunately fuels anti-Bordeaux sentiment, which is still out there.

Izak, in saying that, I'm not criticizing your analysis or disagreeing with you, just opining that such a characterization could be perceived as "the boy who cried wolf" by people disposed to denigrating Bordeaux and who have, it must be said, heard this sort of statement before, and condemn the hype.

All the best,
Alex
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Alex,

I know that I'm early bird but it's not new. I have done it for many years and almost always my predictions are correct. :D

I've seen/experienced 18 different harvests. :ugeek:

I don't really care about armchair wine writers and what they may think about my predictions. I just follow my instinct. 8-)
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Whenever I taste a Bordeaux I really like,
those with that classic nuanced claret style,
the alc. level is generally low...this vintage in 2018 is marked by high alc. levels...so not sure it's for guys like me.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Is that the word on 2018, Bobby, that the alcohol levels are high?
So much for our theory that the end of Parkerism brought back a return to normalcy.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

How would anyone know alcohol levels and balance in 2018 Bordeaux?
Have the wines finished fermenting yet?
Or is the alcohol comment a prediction based on ripeness/brix at harvest?
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

I hope you're right Izak.

Alex
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Here's an article from Decanter - does look like potential for high alcohols in the 2018s:
https://www.decanter.com/wine-news/bord ... els-403007

A little early to pass judgment, though.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I don't knowif I should laugh or if I should cry.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

You can laugh or you can cry.
As long as Bordeaux you buy, buy, buy.
Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Sauternes still on the vines... vintage of the century... Has judgment be made on 2020 yet? Vintage of the 3rd millenium no doubt... in terms of unit price per bottle...Anyway, I am too old...