Rimmerman on Recent Bordeaux Vintages

AKR

Rimmerman on Recent Bordeaux Vintages

Post by AKR »

I didn't include his offer, but here's his blather on recent vintages

=====================

It’s a Whole New World: Bordeaux

Dear Friends,

I have volumes to report with my recent escapade to Bordeaux but I will surmise a few highlights below including one of the top buys of the 2016 vintage that you may want to jump on sooner rather than later. My goal was to re-taste the 2016 vintage (now finished and in bottle) plus a re-taste of the 2017s, 2015’s, 2014’s and the new 2018 grapes and “just off the vine” fermentations that should give a very good read on what’s to come for the 2018 vintage. I also participated in a few fantastic vertical tastings that I will write-up soon enough.

There’s too much to report for one missive today but stay tuned to this page for updates that are sure to intrigue ;)

In addition, you can follow our Instagram page for even more “of the moment” photos/videos and quips on what is going on with the Bordelaise firmament: https://www.instagram.com/garagiste_wine/

In a nutshell (without any “retailer” bias but tasting and reporting as a consumer first, which is still what I consider myself):

• 2017 is FAR better than people think. The vintage had the unfortunate problem of following 2015/2016 but, ten years from now, the vintage will rank as one of the better second tier vintages of the last 20 years and I predict it will be among the most popular drinking vintages around age 12-15+. That does not mean you should scramble to secure futures of the 2017s but up and down, far and wide some of the best wines I tasted this week were 2017s – many are lovely wines with a classic tone but even more fruit than the 2014’s. Think of 2017 as a better 2014 or (gulp that I’m saying this) a new-era 2001 and you know how well the 2001’s have aged – arguably better than the 2000’s. if you see 2017’s at low $’s, do not hesitate.

• 2016 is currently a rangy, occasionally severe and pent-up vintage that’s full of whirlwind energy and an endless horizon to dream of. Many properties produced some of the most electric red fruit and mineral material Bordeaux has ever witnessed and there really is no other “modern day” vintage that compares to 2016. In general, the vintage is currently closed and unformed from recent bottling (and should not be shown for another 3-4 months or the wines may be grossly misread because they do not possess the overt gras of a vintage like 2015). For the most part, 2016 is a vintage for the patient – it’s a long-term aging year that (at its heights) has a chance to be one of the first modern-day “centenary” vintages – with bottles that will last for more than 100 years (a la 1900). There are a few wines that are so special, I nearly cried after tasting them this week (2016 Calon Segur and, I’m happy to report, 2016 Canon – a wine I had severe doubts about for the past 1.5 years but it is now even better than the flame-throwing 15.0-15.5% alcohol 100pt 2015 Canon, which I tasted side by side with the 2016 and the 2005 at the Chateau this week). As a broad statement on the vintage (both Right and Left bank), it will be interesting to see if the new generation of “me, me, now now” consumers around the globe has the patience to wait on the 2016s or will they find them mostly annoying following such a plush and high alcohol year like 2015? Regardless, the “vin de garde” 2016 vintage has a chance to be one of the all time greats of the region and every serious Bordeaux collector should invest in the year...heavily.

• 2015, by contrast, is currently showing its showmanship style. Like any great stage actor, the 2015's gave a tremendous performance for the full two acts of the show but now the curtain has closed and the actors have gone home for the night and the theater seems a bit, well, lacking in excitement. Unlike a year ago, the principle ingredient that resonates with the majority of 2015’s tasted this week is...alcohol (and lots of it). In certain vintages, high alcohol is not a concern because of extractive balance and elevated harmony among all elements but many of the 2015’s lack that sort of balance and they seem somewhat blowsy and simply too plush at this stage to eventually swallow their alcohol. To be sure, they are not 2003 or 2009 but they are a sort of a “grown up” 2003 or 2009 with enough breed and structure to set them apart as wiser offspring but the family lineage of 2003/2009 is tough to escape. We’ll see, but the 2015 vintage is not what I would call “classic” in any way shape or form and some of the best 2015’s reside from areas initially though to be also-rans in the year (i.e. Saint-Estephe). The silly part for this scribe is the nearly undeniable fact that the 2015’s will always retain value and ascend in worth (regardless of quality) because their initial ratings were so high. I also predict a possible scarcity of 2015’s as we move 20-30+ years on from the vintage date due to so many 2015’s consumed at a very young age. For the long-term investor, that’s a very good thing.

• 2018 – at this grossly general stage that can only include overtly ridiculous statements (the “vintage” is not fully in the tank yet) I’m afraid to report (from a 2nd/3rd mortgage or home equity line standpoint) that we may have another incredible year on our hands. Those that survived the massive winter/spring rains, endless clouds and cold and resulting downy mildew in the late spring have seen nothing but hot, dry sunshine for months on end. If you are a property with old vines (ample root depth) and lots of clay/limestone soil, this may be the vintage to bring you glory. If you have young vines on some of the more costly gravel soils of the region, I will cross my fingers for you. Gravel tends to drain water away and down into the depths of the soil and young vines do not have the root length to benefit. To put the vintage into perspective, more than a few winemakers wanted to rename Bordeaux “Beziers” due to the Languedoc-like conditions this summer but...I tasted more than my fair share of grapes and pressed juice across the region this week (Right and Left Bank) and what’s already in the tank tells a tale that may end up as a stunner. There will be variation to be sure and the berries are often tiny with very little juice but the bubbling cauldron that is 2018 has a chance to be another special year. More on the style of the vintage as the Cabernets (Franc and Sauvignon) are picked and pressed but we will not see the 2018’s for another 2-3 years so let’s go back to the vintage currently set to tantalize our palates for the better part of several generations...

The Cru Bourgeois debut of bottled 2016's was held this week and it was a much anticipated debut, arguably the most anticipated since...the 2015’s. I was among a group to taste the wines first before the room was overrun so I had a leisurely pace that paid dividends (I was able to taste and retaste as the bottles gained oxygen). As noted above, many 2016’s have closed in on themselves (from recent bottling) but I am fortunate to have a wide card catalog of interaction with the vintage and I’ve tasted many of the wines 4-5 different times at this point. I will get into the confusing aspect of “Cru Bourgeois” in more detail another time but the consumer should note that a three-tier division of Cru Bourgeois is coming to help single out the upper-echelon from the merely average. Currently, no standard truly exists but that is about to change.
BordeauxNut

Re: Rimmerman on Recent BDC Vintages

Post by BordeauxNut »

Captain hyperbole.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

I've to agree with him on 2017 and 2016. However, I still think 2001 vintage isn't up to 2000 and that 2017 will fare better than 2001.

Disagree a little on 2015.

Will get my share of first juice 2018 during my coming trip to Bx but my sources in Bx raves about 2018 vintage. Five excellent to stunning vintages in the row - as French people say - "incroyable"!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I hope that 2015 Canon I just bought doesn’t turn into high-alcohol rocket fuel only fit to be sipped over ice like a cocktail.

Had to chuckle at this, coming from the huckster's huckster:
In a nutshell (without any “retailer” bias but tasting and reporting as a consumer first, which is still what I consider myself):
marcs

Post by marcs »

Not sure what to make of this as I feel like 2009 is turning out to be an excellent vintage, so comparing 2015 to 2009 as a way of disparaging it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. On the other hand I really don't like overly alcoholic wines and I'm open to the idea that 2015 is overdone.

And 2000 is clearly better than 2001 even though it's taking longer to come around.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

DavidG wrote:I hope that 2015 Canon I just bought doesn’t turn into high-alcohol rocket fuel only fit to be sipped over ice like a cocktail.
Just run it thru a still and call it cognac. Problem solved.
jckba

Post by jckba »

BordeauxNut wrote:Captain hyperbole.
What Jim said.

But what made me laugh was how he pushed the 2015 Margaux in his NightLite #870 offering on the prior day, only to then go on the very next day and critique the alcohol levels in the 2015’s as he is now pushing a 2016, classic Rimmerman.
marcs

Post by marcs »

DavidG wrote:I hope that 2015 Canon I just bought doesn’t turn into high-alcohol rocket fuel only fit to be sipped over ice like a cocktail.
Well, if so you can always sell it for two or three times what you paid, not a bad exit strategy :-).

2015 Canon is listed at 14.5% alcohol but it is true labels can be deceptive.
DavidG

Re: Rimmerman on Recent Bordeaux Vintages

Post by DavidG »

The ability of experienced tasters and critics to predict the future development of such young wines is beyond me. Most of my Bdx purchases have been based on their recommendations. They’re right more often than not if you pay attention to their track record. Maybe I’d be able to do it myself if I regularly attended UGC barrel tastings. Rimmerman's vintage generalizations seem to be pretty accurate for a salesman, if not exactly breaking news. He does slant things to promote what he’s selling: 2015s are too alcoholic now but give 'em 20 years, except when he’s offering a specific 2015 as JC pointed out. I’m not really worried about the 2015s. I’m not overly sensitive to alcohol, tannin, or ripe fruit.

Different wines carry their alcohol differently, so there are always exceptions to the generalizations about ABV, just like there are exceptions to vintage generalizations. ABV is just a number on the bottle. Not even an exact number. It can give you an idea about what’s inside, but you gotta pop the cork if you wanna know how the wine tastes. And sometimes knowing the ABV while tasting can influence perception as much as the name of the wine. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. I prefer drinking to blind tasting most of the time.

PS changed the title to make the thread searchable down the road.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

In the last 2-3 years, i 've been introducing more and more scotch in my diet.

Maybe a link why i liked that much the 2015 Canon?

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

So what’s the magic number for you to start thinking too much alcohol?
Nic, based on that Scotch comment we know your number is at least 80 proof. :)
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Very expensive Scotch is cheaper than expensive wine.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Usually just buy a bottle at a time with Scotch, not multiples.
And you (hopefully) don’t finish a bottle in a day or two.
It’s easier to pull the trigger on a $200 bottle of Scotch than a $200 bottle of wine.
felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

wow, what nauseating drivel. It's actually quite hard to believe anyone would write such rubbish.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I stopped dealing with Garagiste years ago. Too many service issues and wines that did not live up to Rimmerman's OTT descriptors.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I delete without reading 90% of what I get from him.

However they do get some wines from the Rhone that are otherwise difficult to find.
AKR

Post by AKR »

A new missive from Rimmerman on 2016

=======================

The Time is Now: 2016 Bordeaux

Dear Friends,

I’ve been spouting niceties on the 2016 Bordeaux vintage since my first sniffs and sips post-pick (while the juice was still bubbling away in November of 2016) and the finished/bottled wines circa October 2018 have only enhanced the grand perception of this once-in-a-generation vintage combination of freshness, mineral tone, intensity and perfumed extractive might that is something to behold. I’ve heard comparisons to a modern, more beautiful 1986 but that does not hold water except for a few wines (Mouton being one – the 2016 is even better than Mouton’s 100pt 1986, likewise for Leoville Las Cases, my early favorite for Wine of the Vintage when the wine was first placed in tank/barrel and the finished wine has equalled the early promise – it’s a step up from the greatest Leoville’s - 1986 et al – it's a “must” purchase as a cornerstone of any long-term wine collection).

While both years are highly touted, the present situation with 2016 vs 2015 reminds me a tad of what occurred back in 2002 when I was pounding my chest that the 2001’s had the very real chance to eclipse the massively hyped 2000’s – a highly regarded and gorged on millennial remembrance that has aged in a less than stellar fashion. By contrast, many 2001’s are vastly superior to their 2000 counterparts today but they were not as delicious to taste in youth – slightly too elegant, classic and compact compared to the lip-smacking juice-fest and purple slather of 2000.

Sound familiar (2016 vs 2015)?

There is no question that 2015 will always be the more accessible and “oh just yum!” vintage compared to 2016. As I penned last month, the 2016’s are currently pent up, rangy and serious wines that are not meant for immediate consumption (and certainly not at the mid through highest end). On the other hand, the 2015’s have been a relative joy of deep and “fun” fruit since inception and they mostly remain so - over delivering on the promise of a “one wine to please the entire table” mantra that has carried the vintage forward (and will continue to do so for decades).

Let’s not kid ourselves, 2015 is a terrific year with broad shoulders and strong hands of intensity that touched many regions of Bordeaux – both Right and Left.

2016 does not have that luxury.

The taster cannot pick blindly among 2016s as the Right Bank is quite variable (although much better from bottle that I thought it was going to be) and the Left Bank has its share of peaky, acid-washed denim that is a bit of a travesty compared to what should have occurred (although, overall, Left is much better than Right in 2016). In general, the lower level and “village” wines are more uniform in 2015 but the heights of the lower level village wines in 2016 are much higher when they get it right (if that makes sense?). As a drinker/consumer first, my advice would be to pick 2015’s if you are out for dinner and avoid 2016s as they are apt to be closed and difficult for at least another 4-6 years and many (like the above mentioned Mouton and Leoville Las Cases) may require the better part of 20-30+ years to unfold. If you have a birth year to celebrate with 2016’s, consider your offspring (or the fortunate recipient of your good nature) to be VERY lucky indeed. 2016 should ultimately prove to be one of the longest lived Bordeaux vintages of the last century.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Flip-flop
BordeauxNut

Post by BordeauxNut »

I find him to be a fool herder.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I don’t get the comparison of 2015/2016 to 2000/2001. I especially don’t get the claim that a lot of 2001s are better than 2000s, at least other than Barsac and Sauternes.

If I were to compare 2015/2016 to another pair of vintages, they would be 2009/2010 or 1990/1989.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I just got my Fall shipment from them and have to unpack it.

Mostly BoJo and Rhones, maybe a couple of Bdx.

He seems to be direct importing the latter now.

I didn't really understand / grasp his last missive, and it does seem inconsistent with his prior ones.

Last week I had a no name 2010 Barbaresco he had brought in and it was very good over 3 days.

For some kinds of wines, his tastes seem to line up with mine.

Mostly his Euro DI's.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

AKR wrote:For some kinds of wines, his tastes seem to line up with mine.

Mostly his Euro DI's.
That’s really all that matters.

DI = direct import? That should keep prices reasonable.
marcs

Post by marcs »

DavidG wrote:I don’t get the comparison of 2015/2016 to 2000/2001. I especially don’t get the claim that a lot of 2001s are better than 2000s, at least other than Barsac and Sauternes.

If I were to compare 2015/2016 to another pair of vintages, they would be 2009/2010 or 1990/1989.
exactly what I was thinking. 89/90 and 09/10 are the classic examples of a great "solar" vintage next to a great "classical/tannic" vintage.

I would classify both 2000 and 2001 in the "classical/tannic" box, just that 2000 is a bigger and less streamlined than 2001.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Yes direct imports. I can't figure out if he has figured some way to bypass the courtier/negociant/3 layer system.

Unf, when he has a desirable BDX -- most of his are not -- it's going to be wildly oversubscribed and its unlikely one will get allocated any.

I think I heard somewhere his emails go out to like 80k buyers

He has been monetizing that list with some grocery store type of wines too, which I guess is to be expected given his overall hucksterism.

So to get the distinctive European wines, one suffers through the Meiomi (!) , Duckhorn, Sterling offers too.

After 3 years of getting shut out, I finally got one of the Belluard Savoyard wines in the new shipment

Never had one, but people rave about them.

Now I just need to whip up a fondue....