2016s revisied

stefan

Re: 2016s revisied

Post by stefan »

I mentioned above that the 2000 La Lagune had come around. I opened a bottle a week ago. It was good and much better than I expected it to become when I tried it early on, but still below what one would expect from La Lagune in 2000. Lucie was not drinking, so I Repoured and fridged the bottle. This week it is "amazingly good" according to Lucie, and I concur. It has a concentrated licorice & chocolate taste that goes on and on. In flavor it is more Graves-like than Margaux-like, but the bouquet has Margaux floral scents. I think I'll Blanquito my remaining bottles.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I’m here to help, Bill.

I had the 85 Lagune a year ago served double blind, and I swore it was a very high end Graves before the reveal.
stefan

Post by stefan »

We drank through three cases of the '85, Patrick. Sometimes we thought Graves, other times Margaux, but mostly it was just L-L. IIRC, the last case I purchased for $25/bottle, which was higher than the previous ones. I kicked myself later for not buying the other case the store had. The '85 was excellent early, middle, and late, like the '96. Glad to hear that it is still going strong.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Any relatively recent notes/thoughts on the 89 Lagune? I see I have a few in the cellar.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Why not try it at BWE-Denver, Patrick? I have not drunk the '89 for a few years and have no more.
Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Ian
Had a look at 2016 left bank and while Barton Poyferre and GPL cost about the same, Beychevelle, a lesser cru is significantly more expensive. Any explanation?
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I think they used to be similar prices Antoine in the U.K. but now the Beychevelle seems to have moved higher. They are all good wines but Beychevelle is the pick of those four.

If I buy any more 2016s top of my list would be GPL then Montrose, which is a lot more expensive.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Beychevelle has an Asian bid. Apparently it is called Dragonboat there.