Getting crocked at lunch

AlexR

Getting crocked at lunch

Post by AlexR »

Thirty-two-hectare Château Le Crock, a Saint-Estèphe cru bourgeois, is one of those timeless, reliable, good-value wines that rarely disappoint, even if it does not vie with the Médoc’s finest. It seems to be not often cited in the media.

It has belonged to the Cuvelier family of Léoville-Poyferré for over a century.

The château itself is quite impressive, as is the view from the back overlooking beautiful countryside, a pond with swans, and Cos d’Estournel.

With roast chicken, I thought I would open my one and only bottle of the 2005 Le Crock.

I find descriptions of wine color often pointless, but this Le Crock had a tremendously dark, just about opaque hue, with only a touch of brown on the thin rim. My spouse, whom I sadistically subject to blind tasting, thought it much, much younger – as I would have if I didn’t know what it was.

The nose we redolent of forest floor as well as pure, sweet, fresh black fruit and liquorice. It was more promising than developed.

The wine was round and voluptuous to start with, but showed the rigor of Médoc Cabernet on the aftertaste. At first, I thought that this is the type of wine one could enjoy (relatively) young, because of its intense fruit, or else hold for more complexity. However, the more I thought about it, I must admit that this is one for the long haul and if I had another bottle I would hang onto it for some time. Typicity? Pretty much so, with a broad, rich flavor profile that shines at table.

Best regards,
Alex R.
AKR

Re: Getting crocked at lunch

Post by AKR »

I had a really good 2003 Le Crock quite some time ago. It doesn't make it our corner of the world much.

===============

A name change would make it an easier sell. To wit:

I saw the Dillon family changed Tertre Daugay to Quintus/Dragon de Quintus.

So modern sounding!

And they added a $1 to the old price, so rather than $40 its now $140.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

As a cru bourgeois, I thought of opening 09 version of it last week. But looks like I should wait a bit...
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I drank a few of the 2009 Ch. le Crock shortly after release. The wine was thrilling but filled with raisiny flavors and other non-Bordeauxishness. Be interesting to see how it's maturing.
jal

Post by jal »

AKR wrote: And they added a $1 to the old price, so rather than $40 its now $140.
LOL, Arv.
AlexR wrote: Typicity? Pretty much so, with a broad, rich flavor profile that shines at table.
Alex, do you mean typical for the vintage or the appellation? From your note, you sounded surprised by the concentration.
Best

Jacques