Re: This has never happened to me!

Post by jal »

At least he didn't complain! LOL!
Best

Jacques
jckba

Post by jckba »

jal wrote:At least he didn't complain! LOL!
Ha! I could just imagine it, ‘Excusez-moi waiter ... I had ordered a left bank Cabernet blended Merlot and you served me a right bank straight Merlot, the nerve!’

This story seems a little too good to be true and I question if this was not some sort of calculated marketing ploy to pat themselves on the back and make them look good.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I brought a 1982 Haut Brion to a restaurant once that was served to another table.
jckba

Post by jckba »

DavidG wrote:I brought a 1982 Haut Brion to a restaurant once that was served to another table.
Ouch!
AKR

Post by AKR »

I'm surprised that they didn't have the normal wine service procedure of presenting the bottle at the table, opening in front of the patron, checking for taint, and then if needed decanting at the waiter station.

That protects all parties from situations like this.
Bordhead2000

Post by Bordhead2000 »

The response from the restaurant was pretty cool. They have a great attitude.
sdr

Post by sdr »

AKR wrote:I'm surprised that they didn't have the normal wine service procedure of presenting the bottle at the table, opening in front of the patron, checking for taint, and then if needed decanting at the waiter station.

That protects all parties from situations like this.
If the restaurant had done that and the patrons nodded their approval, would they the be obligated to pay for the Le Pin?

You would think so, but could they argue they requested the Pichon and weren’t familiar with the label, saw the capitol “P” when they glanced at it and were satisfied they were served the correct wine? Is there a foolproof way to prevent this kind of misunderstanding?

Seems more like a deliberate publicity stunt.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Stuart,

Most people ordering wine in high end restaurants haven't got a clue! They see the price range to impress a client etc but I doubt very much the 99% would even know or ever heard of le Pin. Even if you know your wines some times the sommelier decants the wine drops the cork in front of you and gives you a small pour to taste but how many times have I not paid attention to the bottle. If it tastes good and as what you expect then carry on. To me the onus is entirely on the establishment to ensure what you get. Personally I look at the bottles all the time but friends never do and haven't got a clue.
Danny