Wine Cabinet suggestions

brodway

Wine Cabinet suggestions

Post by brodway »

Perhaps this subject had been discussed in the past, but i couldn't locate anything recent.
I'd like to add a new 300-400 bottle cabinet to store newly acquired wines and have not shopped for one in over 10 years.
Not sure if there is anything new on the market that BWE'ers are purchasing these days. Would love to hear suggestions.
DavidG

Re: Wine Cabinet suggestions

Post by DavidG »

I like Le Cache for the individual double-deep racking as opposed to roll-out shelves, but that's personal preference. And you have to consider whether there is enough space on top of the racking for all your mags and fat-bottomed Champagnes like Krug and Comtes that won't fit in the racks.

I also like the reliability and wide availability of the CellarPro cooling units they use.

It's not the least expensive option but I think they cost less than Eurocaves.

If I had my druthers I'd prefer a walk-in.
brodway

Post by brodway »

David

i've always considered the walk in option but when i translate the cost into wine bottles, i'm torn and wind up spending the money on the wine....

i will investigate the suggestions on the stand alone units
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

You might consider looking at Artevino by Eurocave. They have 200 and 400 bottle models. I don't have any experience with it, but when I was doing some research into units last year, I came across this and the reviews seem really favorable. And the price is good compared to other brands. It is manufactured in France and the only place I've seen it available here is Costco, though there may be other options.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Last I Iooked, the walk-in kits that come with walls, a chiller, and a zillion pieces to screw together for racking were less $/bottle than the Le Cache units, but maybe more than the less expensive fridges.
brodway

Post by brodway »

David

I don't particularly have a closed off area where i would be able to install the walk in kit. It would require some construction work and insulation which i would rather not get involved with
brodway

Post by brodway »

JC

the Artevino is not a bad option actually...and upon further investigation Costco seems to carry the brand at a reasonable price.....Costco's return policy is excellent and they offer free delivery and white glove service with this item....
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Emily, the walk-in do require an inordinate amount of space. Peggy wouldn't go for one even in our unfinished basement. So I pine and try to convince others of their merits.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Thread drift, but I’m here to report that after 3 months of usage the Coolbot rocks. I bought a $300 window unit AC and a $350 Coolbot (which would cost $25 if mass produced, it’s just some wires, plastics, a thermometer and a microchip). The Coolbot tricks the AC unit into cooling the space to 55F (or whatever temp you set the Coolbot to) but has a sensor to turn it off before the fins freeze up on the AC unit.

It works as advertised.

I went with this method instead of a $2000-$2500 Cellarpro chiller after reading too many horror stories about the Cellarpro dying 2 months after the 5 year warranty ended. If my AC unit dies, I’m out $300. The only downside I can see to my setup is the noise — window AC units are pretty loud (though mine only runs for about $25 mins a day so far); Cellarpros are much quieter.