Deals Thread

stefan

Re: Deals Thread

Post by stefan »

Strange thing about the Creme de Tete is that they did not age nearly as well as the typical Filhot. The last ones we drank were very dark and not so appealing.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I have one bottle of the regular 1990 Filhot, I'm guessing it's past its prime.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Vickers Wine On-Line has about ten (!) cases of 1992 Mondavi Reserve Cabernet selling for $78/bottle. I haven't tried any yet so I can't testify as to condition, but I ordered two bottles and will let folks know how it looks when I get it. In my experience those 1990s Mondavi Reserve Cabs are excellent when well stored.

Their shipping is kind of steep for small numbers of bottles, but you can't have everything.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Central Wine Merchants in New Jersey have the 2015 Felsona Fontalloro for $39.98/btl on a case purchase which brings it down to cost.
Claret

Post by Claret »

92 is under rated in Napa
Glenn
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Agreed, 92 is overshadowed by 91 and 94 in Napa but it’s on a similar level and some say Mondavi's 92s were as good or better. The first half of the 90s were golden years for Mondavi Reserve. Even the 93 was excellent. Well-stored bottles of the 92 should be outstanding.
jal

Post by jal »

A 12 bottle vin garde valise from Amazon is discounted to $209.
Best

Jacques
AKR

Post by AKR »

Winex is having a 1 day sale (Dec 25) on everything on their site, with no exclusions, at least according to the email.

Promo code is WINEXMAS to get 10% off

Examples of net prices include

2014 Clinet $51
2010 or 2015 La Grave a Pomerol $45
2012 Haut Batailley $33

Lots of other stuff. It's a good store, I get maybe a box or two a year from them.

They keep it on the down low, but they will hold til ship for me.

If you can get shipping from them, worth watching the emails.

However, inventory whatever you get promptly upon arrival.
jal

Post by jal »

2013 Oddero Barolo $35.00 at 67 Wine and liquors in Manhattan 68 and Columbus next to my new digs. I got a six pack.
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

How long you in town for?
AKR

Post by AKR »

Some of you might find 2015 Tourelles de Longueville [Pauillac] in your local Costco for $20

I can't remember exactly what its relation to Pichon Baron is, but it seemed like it was worth a flyer.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I believe Tourelles is like a 6th label, although the owners assert it is a "separate vineyard."
jal

Post by jal »

JimHow wrote:How long you in town for?
Back in Sarasota this morning I had a crazy week in NYC. Daughter came over, saw friends I havent seen in two years. Went to my old office.

I will be back soon. I will let you now

BTW, we're thinking of going to Orlando for a few days next week, will you be there?
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

No, my schedule is insanity.
I'm in South Beach tonight we are going to hang out here til next Sunday the 6th, then we'll be in NYC jan 6th-9th, then I'm scheduled to pick 5 juries (it'll end up being one or two) on Jan. 10th, then I'm book in trial through most of January in Maine, then I have an insane trial schedule involving a rape case and a manslaughter case in February but I'm nonetheless hoping to break things up in the early part of the month and coming back down to Florida. So, my schedule is a bit fluid right now, depending on which cases go to trial, which cases settle, etc., etc.
jal

Post by jal »

JimHow wrote:No, my schedule is insanity.
I'm in South Beach tonight we are going to hang out here til next Sunday the 6th, then we'll be in NYC jan 6th-9th, then I'm scheduled to pick 5 juries (it'll end up being one or two) on Jan. 10th, then I'm book in trial through most of January in Maine, then I have an insane trial schedule involving a rape case and a manslaughter case in February but I'm nonetheless hoping to break things up in the early part of the month and coming back down to Florida. So, my schedule is a bit flid right now, depending on which cases go to trial, which cases settle, etc., etc.
Jeez, man!
Ok I'll let you know when I'm next in NYC. May not be for a few months though.
Best

Jacques
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

On all "Under $30 Red Bordeaux" Calvert-Woodley is offering 10% off 6-11 bottles and 20% off 12 or more. Some attractive options but they won't ship to me.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Honestly, I don't feel like there are a lot of real deals out there right now, once you get past the consistent bargain price stuff like Lanessan. It feels like there's been a major run up in wine prices over the last 12-18 months, with Burgundy of course leading the charge but Bordeaux prices getting boosted somewhat as well. The 2014 release prices are just a fond memory.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Tom In DC wrote:On all "Under $30 Red Bordeaux" Calvert-Woodley is offering 10% off 6-11 bottles and 20% off 12 or more. Some attractive options but they won't ship to me.
Man that newsprint-style ad is a blast from the past. CW, Plain Old Pearson's, Magruders, there was another joint on Wisconsin near Tenley Circle, and of course Bassin's.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

marcs wrote:Honestly, I don't feel like there are a lot of real deals out there right now, once you get past the consistent bargain price stuff like Lanessan. It feels like there's been a major run up in wine prices over the last 12-18 months, with Burgundy of course leading the charge but Bordeaux prices getting boosted somewhat as well. The 2014 release prices are just a fond memory.
If you don't think there are any deals out there, you should consider today's prices from the perspective of the long time collector. What happened to cases on 1982 Talbot in stock for $129? :cry: :cry: :cry:
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Tom In DC wrote:
marcs wrote:Honestly, I don't feel like there are a lot of real deals out there right now, once you get past the consistent bargain price stuff like Lanessan. It feels like there's been a major run up in wine prices over the last 12-18 months, with Burgundy of course leading the charge but Bordeaux prices getting boosted somewhat as well. The 2014 release prices are just a fond memory.
If you don't think there are any deals out there, you should consider today's prices from the perspective of the long time collector. What happened to cases on 1982 Talbot in stock for $129? :cry: :cry: :cry:
Not fair, Tom. Really not fair at all.

At first glance, I thought you said bottles of the 82 Talbot for $129! And I was like, Where?!?!
jckba

Post by jckba »

Zachys is running a winter bin end clearance and I spotted the 2015 Haut Bailly for $99.99/btl but it is listed as a future arrival (scratching my head emoji) but the price sharp and less than what I paid for the 6er I snagged last spring and 20% under WS lows, and if that’s not a good deal then I don’t know what is!
jal

Post by jal »

Seagrape Wine Company in Sarasota opened a few weeks ago and have a couple of cases of 2015 Faury St Joseph VV for $35/per.
They get a lot of goodies at sometimes killer prices but few Bordeaux. They don't have a web inventory and the website sgwineco.com is brand new but they do send out a list on request.
Best

Jacques
AKR

Post by AKR »

This might explain some of the wide disparity in deals out there

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-surpri ... listb_pos7
Claret

Post by Claret »

Some of you may know I wholesaled wine in NJ for 6 years. The NJ info rings true. There are deep blind deals(registered with the ABC but not published in price books) for the big guys. Paying frontline is the worst pricing on 1 case.

Rip's are legal kickbacks on some brands and hard to compete against with smaller usually higher quality brands. There were even rip trips to Spain I had to compete against. I remember asking Gary V at wine library for more business and he said he will be doing LESS business with me because I did not have enough big deals.

Then there are the retailers with their hands out to receive illegal cash kickbacks from the salespeople, mostly on spirits...
Glenn
jal

Post by jal »

Thanks for the link Arv. Glenn, my buddy who just opened a retail operation was telling me also how broken the whole system is.
The part left out of the article is how the entire tiered system was a state by state series of back room brokered deals between religious extremist prohibitionists and the gangsters rum running illegally.
Southern Wine & Spirits, largest distributor of alcohol in the world, was started by 5 men, one of whom was one of Meyer Lansky’s associates.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB938998156171122649
Best

Jacques
AKR

Post by AKR »

For those with Amex cards, you might want to check the website to see if you have any targeted Total Wine Amex Offers attached to your card. Folks on other sites are reporting offers like $50 off $250 purchase etc. One nice thing about these is that this discount 'stacks' on top of any other TW promotion that you might be using. These good offers generally only come from Amex issued cards, not Amex payment network cards issued by other banks.

Sadly, after Costco broke up with Amex, I did too -- so these juicy offers are beyond my ken.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Wally’s currently has the 2014 Giscours for $39/per 750ml marked down fe $59.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

When are the 2016s going to hit the shelves?
AKR

Post by AKR »

Here's a weird one from JJB. 1995 Boyd Cantenac for $189/cs. Seems to have some issues, which they warn people about.

I expect to see a lot of this floating around (eventually) in the restaurant trade, since people are shy about returning/rejecting bottles.

Not for me, but maybe some of you out there can share a case among friends and see what happens.

=============

1995 Chateau Boyd-Cantenac (Margaux)

That price is not a typo! This is classified growth Bordeaux from a strong vintage at ideal maturity that came to us Bordeaux-direct with perfect provenance and it’s available for under $20 per bottle. Current releases are going for $50+ and good vintages with some age go for even more, so even at $30-$50 per bottle this would be a great deal, but $15 and change is insane!

Wait. There’s got to be a catch.

You’re right; there is. We’ve opened cases of this wine (not bottles, cases) at our offices in the US and in Bordeaux and we’ve dealt with a high level of bottle variation. On the plus side, many bottles have shown what we would expect from a mature Classified Margaux. Some have even exceeded expectations. But it’s the surprisingly high number of sub-par bottles that have given us great pause and have led us to price things accordingly, as those bottles are good enough for drinking.

The bottle conditions and fill levels are excellent, and the storage conditions were ideal. Why there is such inconsistent quality, we aren’t sure. But if you aren’t averse to a little risk, then this may be just the deal for you. Chances are you’ll end up with enough bottles that drink as they should so that your per bottle average still puts you ahead.

If you’re still inclined to go big on this one, keep in mind that there are no guarantees and no returns with this offer. We encourage you to grab a case now, taste the wine and see what your results were, then check back for more if interested. Cheers!

JJ Buckley: "Dark red core leading to light magenta rim. Aromas of black cherries, blackberries, crème de cassis, currants, dried flowers, baking spices and vanilla emerge from the glass hinting at the wines complexity. On the palate this wine is medium bodied with piquant flavors of cherry and dark berry fruit, fine mature tannins and a long satisfying finish. This is a mature Bordeaux that is drinking well right now and will pair well with a variety of aged cheeses and grilled meats. Drink now."
- IN STOCK -

On Sale:
$189 per
12-bottle case
AKR

Post by AKR »

I'm not following deals that closely so most of what I mention is just what shows up in my inbox, which has also been purged on many vendors.

But K&L is offering 2015 Lespault Martillac rouge [Pessac Leognan] for $20.

They have lots.

It appears I purchased a bottle on pre arrival some years ago for $25.

Some relationship to Domaine de Chevalier I think.

Have not tried it yet.

=======

I had a very floral 2015 Dom. des Amphores 'les Ires' [VdP Collienes Rhodienes] syrah last night with short ribs in a creamy mushroom sauce (they came out undercooked from my InstaPot sadly, and overly fatty). The wife didn't like the bottle, but it was very much like a leaner St Joe. 12% abv, bio dynamic, organic, and I think no sulfur either. Nicklass would probably like it. Right next to the Barou estate. A $13 wine that is hard to find, so actually worth shipping. With the insanity in NoRho prices, these can offer up good midweek drinking.
AKR

Post by AKR »

The red Graves mentioned above has been price chopped this morning to $14, pretty crazy.

They tend to do dynamic pricing at K&L now, so I doubt that price will last.

The thing to watch for - if one gets their emails - is anything that is bold faced.

That means either a new SKU or a new price.
AKR

Post by AKR »

2015 Enclos Tourmaline [Pomerol] $100 @ K&L

That's about a 1/3 cheaper than where it was offered on futures.

Never seen nor tasted one.

They are a new estate/labeling, I think from the same people that JimHow saw up in Hahvahd.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

My Wine Deals has Paul Jaboulet Aîné
Hermitage La Chapelle 1995 for $125. Pre arrival "early June".
AKR

Post by AKR »

Ben at CellarRaiders just shared these. There are lots more, these just stuck out to me

Year Bordeaux Qty Price

1961 Ausone- low shoulder 1 $395
1970 Bel Air Saint Emilion 16 $39
1975 Beychevelle 3 liter 1 $395
1966 Cos Labory 1 $55
1970 Giscours- mid shoulder 7 $75
1970 Giscours- top shoulder 15 $109
1982 Leoville Barton 2 $245
1989 Leoville Barton 10 $175
1970 Pichon Baron- low to mid shoulder 6 $75
1970 Pichon Baron- top shoulder 12 $119
1982 Pichon Lalande- soiled labels 24 $625
1979 Trotanoy 1 $129
AKR

Post by AKR »

Ben at CellarRaiders with some more offers this morn, many more these just stuck out to me.

Some of them are the same prices that what I recall paying on/near release, in particular the Lafon Rochet & Roc de Cambes

Vintage Bordeaux Qty &Price

1990 Canon la Gaffeliere 2 $135
1990 Cos Labory 2 $39
1999 d'Aiguilhe 22 $15
1999 La Fleur de Boüard 12 $25
1990 Lafon Rochet 1 $35
1995 Les Fiefs de Lagrange 1 $25
1995 Roc de Cambes 2 $19
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

For you Cantemerle lovers:

Zachys has a 27 Liter bottle of the 2016 on sale for the low, low price of...

...$4,424.99! Reduced from $4,999.

Just the thing for the 2116 BWE Convention!
jckba

Post by jckba »

Astor Wines & Spirits in NYC has a 15% off Bordeaux sale going on today and the 2015 LLC for $182.72/per stuck out from their offerings.

https://www.astorwines.com/SearchResult ... e=Contains
AKR

Post by AKR »

K&L has 3 cases of the 2015 Valandraud [St Emilion] for $142, which seems to be a national low on WS.

I've never tried one and have always been curious about it.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

AKR wrote:K&L has 3 cases of the 2015 Valandraud [St Emilion] for $142, which seems to be a national low on WS.

I've never tried one and have always been curious about it.
A cry for enablement.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

These new release prices are nuts. Moreover, Bordeaux need 25-40 years to be any good. Most of all, modern Bordeaux suck.

Two words all that all Bordeaux Enthusiasts should hear: BACK FILL.