Meyney 1990

CJD

Meyney 1990

Post by CJD »

Always have a soft spot for 1990. Something distinctive about the richness of the fruit that’s almost always recognizable. A previous bottle of this, perhaps a little excessively consumed,gave rise to a bleary morning after so this one approached with trepidation. Very dark color showing little of its age. Mature but vigorous. Savory nose with some dark fruits on the black cherry spectrum. Big full bodied mouthfeel with still some fruit & lots of st estephe character. Good middle long aftertaste of mature secondary flavors with a slightly drying finish. Pinch of heat there too. All in all still going strong, a good 5 years + ahead of it. One can forget that Meyney is a lowly cru bourgeoise but from 85 to 90 was on a roll. 91
AKR

Re: Meyney 1990

Post by AKR »

A nice blast from the past.

Of that era, 1986 was always my favorite, but so many were terrific.

We did a Meyney vertical once, I think 66-03 or so there was a real drop off after the 1990 vintage.

Neil Martin has suggested that the 03 improved a bit with age, but in my only experience with it, perhaps at age 3 or 4, it wasn't like its AOC vintage peers, being a bit wan.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Moving along to more recent years, Meyney rocks once again.

I've had the wine on many occasions but only visited for the first time this spring.

Alex R.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

I visited Meyney with Alex in April this year during primeur as a follow up to my visit last year, also during primeur.

During visit in April 2018 I had a little vertical, 2014-2017, excellent wines. 2018 this year is a blast with whole 18% Petit Verdot in the blend!

Please read this https://www.farrvintners.com/blog.php?blog=264 and other reports from Southwold tasting in January this year.

Meyney is situated on the same hill towards Gironde as Montrose and its neighbor to it.

Some posters here complain about influence of Hubert de Bouard on Meyney style since 2013. I believe his contribution as consultant is only advice on harvest time and related things, not particulary vinification. I absolutely don't consider Meyney as modern, overextracted and overripe St.Estephe wine.

For the money Meyney is probably the best qpr in Bordeaux. :D

https://www.greatbordeauxwines.com/chat ... phe/meyney
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Meyney was a favorite QPR through the 80s, then to my palate dropped off quality-wise in the 90s (1990 excepted). Like Arv said, wan, thin, under-fruited, lacking excitement, pick your adjective. I had the 2009 a couple of months ago and they appear back on form.
marcs

Post by marcs »

So how good is this? A friend asked me for a list of affordably priced aged wines that he could bring to dinners with his wealthier friends who drink second and even first growths without being too embarassed, would this one qualify?
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

I have been one of the critical voices - granted, my voice is like a cricket chirping on a deserted island - on Meyney in the modern era. I think the 1982-1990 run is perhaps the best QPR run we have ever seen in Bordeaux, with 86 in particular being a standout even to this day.

I have not liked Meyney from 2005 forward, but have not tried any new releases. I am generally loathe to patronize anything Bouard touches (or Rolland, Derenoncort, Cambie, et al). I inadvertently bought some Cambon la Pelouse 2014 and 2016, without knowing he has come on board. The 2014 was a serious disappointment, the 2016 admittedly was decent, but nothing like the quality of 2010. Given the buzz above, I’m willing to give Meyney another try. I do like they increase of PV in the cut.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Funny, I was a big fan of the 1990 Meyney for the first 10 years but thought it peaked around 2000 and went down hill. Sounds like I gave up on it too soon.

I am still a big fan of the 86 and the 89. The 88 was also sensational for years but seemed to go off a cliff in the last 5 years.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

FWIW, I really found the 2005 Meyney a big letdown. I haven't dared try any since then.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I liked very much the 2014, a great wine for the price. The Meyney from the 80´s i had were all satisfying.

The question for those who tried a few recent vintages of the wine: you prefer modern Meyney or Phelan Segur?

Nic
Claret

Post by Claret »

I went thru a case of 89 and had a good share of 82, 85, 86, 88 and a 90. The 82,86 and 89 are my favorites. 85 drank so well young.
Glenn
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

In April this year together with my friends from Denmark and Alex, we did Haut Marbuzet, Meyney and Sociando Mallet in one afternoon. One week later, it was Phelan Segur.

All four made imho the best wine for the respective property. Especially Sociando Mallet and Meyney did a fabulous job, but sexy Haut Marbuzet (I still remember the fantastic 1990 from this estate) and more powerful Phelan Segur were a little bit behind.

2015 and 2016 Meyney, 2016 Sociando Mallet, 2015 and 2016 Haut Marbuzet are a thrill too!

marcs,

British wine writers and wine merchants tasted 2015 vintage at Southwold in January this year and couldn't believe their eyes, that Meyney came first in St.Estephe leaving Cos, Calon Segur and Montrose behind! So your friend can easily take Meyney with him to "confuse" his high-flying friends.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Loooved the 2014 Meyney.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I think their 2016 is the only future left undelivered still, for me.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

OrlandoRobert wrote:I have been one of the critical voices - granted, my voice is like a cricket chirping on a deserted island - on Meyney in the modern era. I think the 1982-1990 run is perhaps the best QPR run we have ever seen in Bordeaux, with 86 in particular being a standout even to this day.

I have not liked Meyney from 2005 forward, but have not tried any new releases. I am generally loathe to patronize anything Bouard touches (or Rolland, Derenoncort, Cambie, et al). I inadvertently bought some Cambon la Pelouse 2014 and 2016, without knowing he has come on board. The 2014 was a serious disappointment, the 2016 admittedly was decent, but nothing like the quality of 2010. Given the buzz above, I’m willing to give Meyney another try. I do like they increase of PV in the cut.
You are the canary in the coal mine for modernity in Bordeaux, thus the crickets . I’ll agree that Meyney is more modern than it was in the 80s, and while it may not be reaching those heights this decade, it’s still a lot better than during its down period. It’s not too modern for my palate.