TN: live blogging the 1999 Leoville Barton

Houndsong

TN: live blogging the 1999 Leoville Barton

Post by Houndsong »

Somebody (claret?) said this was good to go, so go it does. I had one about three years ago and without referring to any notes I think my conclusion that was due to the perceived and received austerity of this wine I would like to try one from a bigger/riper vintage. Well my first impression now is that this wine has filled out a good bit. I haven't great experience with 1999 but what I've read of it would not lead me to announce this was a 99. Anyway to start the color does look apprpopriately advanced, more reddish than purpleish and some lightening. A curranty/raisiny bouquet with some old wood. Nice depth/sweetness, nice acidity, and certainly a fair batch of unresolved tannin too. What's not to like?
Houndsong

Re: TN: live blogging the 1999 Leoville Barton

Post by Houndsong »

Interesting. I just got a whiff of Play-Doh. I haven't smelled that in - well, we won't go there right now.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Coming to the end of the bottle and I have enjoyed this very much. My wife thought it was just OK, more meh than anything. I'm throwing out her opinions in general as "moody." I thought this would be in her kitchen. This has good depth and cut, which is not always accomplished. This is like a ripe but firm black plum. Some people like their stone fruits very soft, but I like mine firm, crisp even, but they must have sweetness.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Are you trying to tell me that anything other Palmer was a wine of quality in 1999? I'm skeptical.
Michael Malinoski

Post by Michael Malinoski »

I've enjoyed reading your impressions, Hound. I especially like your commentary about the firm black plums, currants and old wood. I can sort of taste the kind of wine it is from your impressions.

Jim, I had a bottle of this on the counter in your hotel room just last weekend! All you needed to do to test your 1999 Palmer-only bias was to pull out the corkscrew and give it a whirl. Oh well, I'll save it for our next get-together, which I hope is soon!

-Michael
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Damn, you're right, Mike! Well, we'll test it soon in to confirm Hound's impressions.
johnz

Post by johnz »

I've found some good 1999 Bordeaux that are just now in their "window." I had the '99 Margaux last month and it was young, young. I think perhaps that there are few if any great '99 bordeaux wines, but give the first growths some time . . . Lafite, Margaux, might surprise in 10 years. Try the '99 D'Issan -- really delicious now.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I was very impressed with this wine when I opened it about a month ago. I posted a TN here at the time; I need to figure out how to embed links in these postings. With all that has been written about the 1999 vintage (Palmer excepted), I did not expect a lot. So I was very pleasantly surprised. And happy to have 5 more bottles to enjoy.

Jon
stefan

Post by stefan »

Jon, I did crack open my case after the discussion in your thread and intend to drink a bottle soon.

stefan
stefan

Post by stefan »

Last night with some friends and strip steaks we drank our first '99 Leoville Barton along with our 6th or 7th Poujeaux. The Poujeaux is showing nicely, having shed its unyielding tannins. The Leoville Barton impressed both Lucie and me with its soft tannins, leather, balance, and class. We will enjoy this wine over the next 5-10 years.

stefan
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

We drank a 99 Lynch Bages tonight. Solid B and I don't see it getting much better.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Stefan,

Glad you enjoyed that first 1999 LB. Based on my recent bottle, I'm not surprised at your experience, and I hope you enjoy the rest of the case as much.

Jon
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Has anyone had the 99 Lascases? I think this is the only 99 in the cellar and only have a few bottles. Didn't plan on sampling for another 3-5 years. Is that too long to wait in the vintage?

Danny
Danny
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Danny - had this in April with some other forumites and no there is need to wait, unlike with some other 99s - Mission, Palmer, Latour for example. Pop and pour it now. Unusually for LLC this wine is totally up for it, ready to go and delicious aged ten.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

I'm starting to think I may have spent unwisely, recently buying some 99 LLCs and 99 VCCs. I did get some 99 Palmer before it became super expensive. But the only 99 I've had, a few times, is the Lynch. And I agree, its a B wine. And without a long life. And these notes suggest I need to drink up or sell......
mariajhones81

Post by mariajhones81 »

Hola, you guys are making me skeptical. Challenging reputation. I already invested too munch in it......
RDD

Post by RDD »

JimHow wrote:Are you trying to tell me that anything other Palmer was a wine of quality in 1999? I'm skeptical.
1999 Pavie MacQuin