TN 05 Numanthia and 99 Pavie and 95 Pavie MacQuin and 96 SHL

Rick

TN 05 Numanthia and 99 Pavie and 95 Pavie MacQuin and 96 SHL

Post by Rick »

We openned a couple of big wines and finished with a few others .....a fun night sitting outside at the capital grill with the heaters fired up as the sun went down

• 1999 Château Pavie - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (9/27/2009)
    opened decanted and drank over the next hour...wonderful wine, garnet color, some smoke, tannins integrating with the fruit, smooth easy to drink, secondary flavors emerging (94 pts.)
  • 2005 Bodega Numanthia Termes Toro Numanthia - Spain, Castilla y León, Toro (9/27/2009)
    big dense wine, nose more muted than I recall, needs a lots of airand just keeps developing over the evening, tannis but not too much, lots of fruit blueberry and chocolate on the long finish (94 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
1995 Château Pavie Macquin - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (9/27/2009)
nice red with bricking along edges, opens up nicely with reasonable tannins, dark fruit and plum, coffee,even better day two........this wine will last a number of years and continue to develop complexity (91 pts.)
1996 Château Smith Haut Lafitte - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (9/27/2009)
surprising and enjoyable wine...it was decanted and poured , tannins, dark fruit, moderate finish of decent lenght (91 pts.)
Rick

Re: TN 05 Numanthia and 99 Pavie and 95 Pavie MacQuin and 96 SHL

Post by Rick »

Jim - let me know if you want that mag of 05 I "picked up for you" knowing I could always drink it
rick
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Both wines sound great. Haven't had the Pavie but your description doesn't come close to the controversy earlier this year. I think I'll pull one for tonights wine dinner and I'll comment later in the week.

The 05 Numanthia I think is stunning.I've got two six packs in Florida that I picked up this year and I hope it has some legs to hold for a few years. Any idea how these age? They have the palate of a more New World wine for immediate to intermediate term drinking and I don't know if these will improve/evolve or just stay in a holding pattern. Any experience with this one Rick?

Danny
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'll be happy to take the Numanthia off your hands, Rick, thanks.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The '04 Numanthia that Rick brought to DC last spring was one of my wines of the year.