So what have you bought lately?

JCNorthway

Re: So what have you bought lately?

Post by JCNorthway »

Over the past 2-3 months, I've been accumulating some wines for the cellar and for drinking soon:

4 x 2015 Bergstrom Pinot Noir Silice
4 x 2015 Bergstrom Pinot Noir Le Pre du Col
4 x 2015 Bergstrom Pinot Noir Gregory Ranch
12 x 2016 Domaine du Cayron Gigondas
6 x 2017 La Garrigue Cotes du Rhone Cuvee Romain
6 x 2016 Piaugier Cotes du Rhone Sablet
12 x 2017 Paul Pernot Bourgogne Blanc
6 x 2017 Paul Pernot Puligny Montrachet
6 x 2017 Paul Pernot Puligny Montrachet Folatieres
12 x 2016 Virginie Thunevin St. Emilion
12 x 2016 Labegorce Margaux
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I had a good day at the auction today though some nice fish got away.

I managed to snag:

Pavie Maquin 06 x 6 @£180
Pavilion Rouge 10 x 6 @£420
Faiveley Clos De Beze 89 x 1 @£130
Faiveley Mazis 97 x 2 @£150
Dominique Laurent Vosne-Romanee Suchots 00 x 5 @£260
Rockford Basket Press Shiraz 92 x 5 @180

The ones that good away:

Belair 06 x 12@ £300 - missed by a nanosecond
Ducru 09 x 6@ £800 - likewise
Ducru 14 x12@ £800 - likewise
Mouton 09 x 2@ £600 - likewise

At least missing these saved me quite a lot of dosh!
William P

Post by William P »

3 Ch. Meyney 2015@$27.00 per bottle.
2 Ch. Branaire Ducru 2015@59.00 per bottle.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Taking advantage of 20% off at Total Wine.
5x 2016 Ch Pierre de Montignac
2x 2015 Sarget de Gruaud Larose
1x 2006 Ch Langoa Barton
1x 2014 Ch Langoa Barton
1x 2012 Ch Brane Cantenac
1x 2016 Dr. Heidemanns-Bergweiler Riesling Spatlese
1x NV de Margerie Grand Cru Brut
amusermix

Post by amusermix »

Tenuta San Guido and Castello Di Volpaia.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Couldn't resist and bought some more 2016 Château Poujeaux (a great QPR IMO).

I also bought a bottle of the 2016 Château La Vieille Cure and tried it last night to see if I wanted to add any to the cellar. I have to say though (and having never tried this before) that this is not my style of wine at all. This was straight out of the Barossa(?) ….
Last edited by Ianjaig on Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
brodway

Post by brodway »

Poujeaux could be hit or miss....i remember i grabbed a few bottles of the 2000 and 2001 but thought both were somewhat thin and not particularly memorable. The 2009, however was in fact a very good wine. Perhaps the weather could have done magic there so need to revisit this estate. La Vieille Cure carries 15% alcohol so its not surprising that it could be a bit hot.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

brodway wrote:Poujeaux could be hit or miss....i remember i grabbed a few bottles of the 2000 and 2001 but thought both were somewhat thin and not particularly memorable. The 2009, however was in fact a very good wine. Perhaps the weather could have done magic there so need to revisit this estate. La Vieille Cure carries 15% alcohol so its not surprising that it could be a bit hot.
I had some 2005 Poujeaux recently and really enjoyed both of them. I found them to be actually quite tannic, and quite classic in style.

In sharp contrast, I found the Château La Vieille Cure to be very modern and not to my liking unfortunately...
Cheers,
Ian.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

2009 Poujeaux is excellent.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

1 Bollinger
1 2017 Billaud-Simon Chablis

Nic
jckba

Post by jckba »

Swung by Total Wine in Norwalk CT earlier this evening on the way to a friends and scooped up 24 2010 La Rioja Alta 904 for $48.49/per which is $0.49 cents more than Skurnik wholesale, followed by a 2017 Tempier Bandol and some Bdx splits which will likely make it into the rotation soon as well as a Blanton’s for $54.99 which was one per customer as I just don’t see it all that much anymore.
Frederico

Post by Frederico »

Bought 2 bottles of Cristal 2008 in April for CAD324/USD240 each at a well known wine shop in town. Thought I did okay until today I picked up one more bottle for only CAD250/USD185 at Costco. What a huge price difference. Wish I had more patience to wait for a right price and right store.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Wine prices appear to be dropping and that has led me into some indiscretions at auctions...

11 bottles of 1995 Grand Puy Lacoste at $100/bottle all in, really more than I need or intended to get
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Bets on when Marcs has to rent another storage locker, anyone?
marcs

Post by marcs »

You’re not supposed to make little snickering digs at my excessive purchases, Dave. That’s not why I come here, it’s not the BWE way. You’re supposed to fucking ENABLE me! You’re supposed to say, great wine, great price, fantastic purchase! You’re supposed to reassure me about the wisdom of owning lakes of aged Bordeaux. You’re supposed to say, good move, if you ever become allergic to water and have to bathe in fine Bordeaux instead you will now own enough to make that possible. You’re supposed to say, in your 90s everyone in the nursing home will like you much better if you still have wine to share!

Just saying.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Duly chastised. How about:

Go Marcs Go!

We need someone to keep up the BWE buying spirit when all around us we are seeing veteran BWEs, led by no less than the BD himself, pledging to limit their purchases for the entire coming year. Those of us limiting our purchases should donate our unused cellar space to Marcs so he can dedicate his funds to purchases rather than having to pay for more storage space.

Marcs, I’ve got room for a case waiting for you here in my cellar! Who's with me?!!!
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Perhaps if enough BWEers stop buying, it will create a glut and cause prices to decline so that Marcs, and I - and other still buying - can benefit!
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

I have been picking up 2005, 09 and 10 Burgundies and Bordeaux from auction.
The retail prices for current vintages of Burgundy in particular are rapidly increasing over here, so I am picking up top recent vintages of 1er Cru Burgs from Pommard, GC, Beaune, NSG, MSD, etc, and middle ranking classed growths from the left and right bank.
So I have bought BDX wines such as 05 Gruaud Larose, Langoa Barton, 2010 Larmande, Grand Corbin Despagne, Dársac (Margaux CB), and a few cases of Sauternes (bought on a bit of a whim).

I am not sure if it is an international trend, but the price of Burgundy in particular has rapidly increased over the last few years despite the Euro actually falling against the Singapore Dollar.
This means that retail prices are too high for me but I can buy wine from European auctions and ship it over here for half to one third the price of recent vintages available retail. Maybe the auction prices will catch up.
The middle ranked 2005 Burgs are drinking very well now - no wonder they were BWE WOTY despite various protests.

JCNorthway
Over here in Asia, most are label drinkers and are only recently learning about areas other than Bordeaux.
Demand for Burgundy is increasing whilst the main export markets for Bordeaux (China, HK, Singapore, etc) are slowing.
There are numerous reasons why the Chinese and HK market is down - slower economic growth, financial market instabilty, the HK issues, trade spats, crackdowns on gift giving, greater surveillance etc.
And also that Bordeaux isn't the new kid on the block. Selling into Asia is hard as the markets seem to always want the latest toys, but there are structural reasons for lower BDX sales that are going to affect the long term position.
marcs

Post by marcs »

I really lost control at the auction where I bought the 1995 Grand Puy Lacoste. Total damage turned out to be:

11 * 1995 GPL
7 * 2012 Hudelot Noellat Clos Vougeot
7 * 2011 Jamet Cote Rotie
5 * 2009 Jamet Cote Rotie
6 * 2014 Pierre-Yves Colin Morey Chassagne Montrachet Caillerets

Well under retail but wines like that are not cheap...going to have to go cold turkey on auctions for a while. A long while.
jal

Post by jal »

Well done on the Jamet, Marcs!!
Best

Jacques
marcs

Post by marcs »

jal wrote:Well done on the Jamet, Marcs!!
Thanks! Never had it before but I really like Cote Rotie and have wanted to try it for a while. It actually wasn't outrageously priced compared to good Bordeaux and Burgundy. A lot of bidding pressure though, I tried to get it for 50% off retail but got bid up to like 80 to 85% of retail -- higher than I normally go for big auction lots, but I got auction fever.

I did have the satisfaction of costing other bottom-feeders, most likely retailers or flippers by the number of cases being bid on, many thousands of dollars in additional costs by bidding them up though.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Château La Lagune 2011
Tardieu-Laurent St. Joseph Vieilles Vignes Les Roches 2016
Domaine des Bosquets Gigondas 2017
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

FTW
and In case they aren't all identifiable in the picture:
1978 Ch. La Lagune
1978 Ch. Palmer
1982 Ch. Margaux
1983 Ch. Margaux
1985 Ch. Margaux
1986 Ch. Margaux
1988 Ch. Margaux
1983 Pichon Comtesse, Magnum
1986 Ch. Meyney
1986 Ch. Gruaud Larose
2x 1988 Mouton, 375ml

Traded for work done by me, bottles valued for the deal at 1/3 current Cellartracker value.
Last edited by Racer Chris on Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stefan

Post by stefan »

That is a very nice mixed case, Chris.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

stefan wrote:That is a very nice mixed case, Chris.
Yeah, it definitely checks some boxes on my wine bucket list. :)
My friend says the La Lagune will either be fantastic or it will be corked.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

So the barter system is not dead. That is a nice collection of bottles to be enjoyed in the coming years.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Baby doll!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Wow, nice haul!
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Chris
Wow that Margaux looks temping.
Arguably my favorite Bordeaux and some great vintages.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Excellent job on the bartering front!
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I really shouldn't be bartering for high value wines, considering my income level and current obligations, but deals such as this are few and far between.
The provenance is indisputable, as they are being passed to me by the person who bought them on release. The importers were among the best, such as Chateau & Estates. My friend talked about how Robert Chadderdon made sure he was receiving the best juice from each vintage.
All in cost around $1200.
I think I'll open one of the '78s and one of the Moutons by year's end.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

You scored, Chris. Have no regrets.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

OrlandoRobert wrote:You scored, Chris. Have no regrets.
No regrets here. This just changed the entire complexion of my cellar.

The real payment begins when my wife finds out I have this wine. At least I get to spread that out over time.
I just came up from the cellar after putting it all away. She won't see it until I open it. :D
I really need to build a metal rack that properly holds all the OWCs I have, each in their own bin. More than half my wine is in wooden boxes, although mostly not in the original boxes.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Costco in NH recently got another shipment of 2008 Dom Perignon @$130 btl. I already had quite a few bottles from the first load but I can't resist picking up a couple of more whenever I go there. I've picked up another 4 btles so far.
jckba

Post by jckba »

A no brainer purchase price for the 2008 Dom. Picked up cases of the 2015 Mascarello Monprivato and Laherte Freres Blancs des Blanc Nature NV.
Attachments
3AAFDACC-4E5C-4903-8B4E-255EFEB10343.jpeg
3AAFDACC-4E5C-4903-8B4E-255EFEB10343.jpeg (83.83 KiB) Viewed 2864 times
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Somehow stumbled upon a lone bottle of 2016 Lynch Bages at our local costco. Almost at about release price, and unable to resist, got that @134...
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Stocking up a little in anticipation of the YEAR LONG buying freeze...

2012 Aubry Ivoire et Ebene — 3 bottles
1971 Toro Albala Gran Reserva PX — 2 half bottles
1978 Mont Redon CDP — 6 bottles
1978 La Lagune (with a beautiful fill) — 1 bottle
2013 Robert Chevillon NSG Les Perrieres — 1 bottle
2012 Wind Gap "Armagh Vineyard" Sonoma Coast Syrah — 2 bottles
2013 Wind Gap "Armagh Vineyard" Sonoma Coast Syrah — 3 bottles
brodway

Post by brodway »

78 Mont Redon is risky. I used to drink a bit of Mont Redon CDP as it was an affordable CDP. Was really never impressed with any of them but but they were good value.
The Wind Gap is good juice. I've been a fan for a couple years now and probably have a mixed case in the cellar. The style is not that of a California high octane juice but rather a more restrained mid weight French Rhone. I really enjoy most of what they make
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

brodway wrote:78 Mont Redon is risky. I used to drink a bit of Mont Redon CDP as it was an affordable CDP. Was really never impressed with any of them but but they were good value.
No doubt.

But the bottles look utterly pristine (https://cdn.klwines.com/Auction/Uploade ... 43939x.jpg)
and Gilman went 95-points ga-ga for this vintage of Mont Redon, saying it would drink well through 2030.

I don’t think the quality of more recent vintages of Mont Redon — which I agree are underwhelming — have much bearing on the ‘78, which is near-legendary old school vintage.

Not incidentally, Leve panned this wine a few years back, so we’ll see who’s ‘right’ between the critics. This seems like a wine to bring to a Anything-but-Bordeaux Friday night at a Convention.

Here’s Gilman’s note, which I enjoyed reading (enough to impulsively buy the wine!):
"Château Mont-Redon- A Very Rare, Classic Châteauneuf du Pape That Harkens Back to the Good Old Days" I have had the good fortune to drink the beautiful 1978 Mont-Redon on four occasions in the last few years and each time I am completely smitten with the style of this superb wine. At age thirty-two the wine is at its absolute summit of peak drinkability, as it soars from the glass in a deep and complex mélange of dark berries, coffee bean, singed heather, gamebirds, lavender, smoke and cigar ash. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied, pure and absolutely à point, with great complexity, melting tannins and simply stunning length and grip. This is a classically black fruity, mature vintage of Mont-Redon that will have no difficulties continuing to cruise along at its peak for at least another decade or two and is clearly one of the top 1978 Châteauneufs. A great and utterly classic, drink through 2030. 95 points.”
brodway

Post by brodway »

started drinking Mont Redon since the mid 90's.....78 seems to be a very different animal....please report back when you pop one