Review: North Square in NYC

stefan

Review: North Square in NYC

Post by stefan »

On Sunday we cancelled our reservations at Beacon, which has no corkage on Sunday, because after a day at the Guggenheim we did not want to travel uptown again. Instead we ate at North Square in the Washington Square Hotel, which is a short walk from our apartment.

We both decided to have the $35 menu. Lucie started with a proper potato and leeks soup while I opted for a delicious roasted cod over beens and salad with a morel based sauce. The 1996 Confuron-Cotetidot Chambolle-Musigny I brought was wonderful with my cod. The nose is full of mushrooms and underbrush and the taste matches the smell. I regret drinking too many of these too early. For the main course Lucie had perfectly cooked chicken breast with turnip mashed potatoes and I had braised short ribs over collard greens that would make any Southerner's mouth water. With these we drank a BWE favorite, 1996 Sociando-Mallet. While still young, the flavors of cassis are pronounced and the nose, with proper airing, is strong. After giving the sommelier generous pours of the wines, he compted us a nice cheese course with which to finish the S-M. We concluded with a wonderful butterscotch flan of which I ate all despite knowing that I would be sick after eating so much.

This meal was decidedly better than the one we had at Mas, and, with corkage waved and the cheese compted, the price, exclusive of gratuity, was only $75. Even with a 35+% tip this dinner was a super bargain.

stefan
dstgolf

Re: Review: North Square in NYC

Post by dstgolf »

Sounds like a great bargain anywhere.The SM was drinking fine last year but alas the last bottle is gone.

Do you go anywhere without carting a supply of wine in tow with you. Must make travel interesting.

Danny
Danny
stefan

Post by stefan »

Danny, we almost always carry at least one case. Alas, that is not enough for a ten day trip the way Lucie slogs it down.

stefan
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Thanks for the North Square review. I like the somewhat ole New York feel in this restaurant. It's been a while, but this post will certainly enable us to return soon.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Sounds great, I'll have to check out North Square. Thanks for posting all these restaurant reviews - very helpful.

Chris Bublitz