Review: Tartine in NYC

stefan

Review: Tartine in NYC

Post by stefan »

On Saturday after seeing Jude Law play Hamlet, Lucie and I dined at Tartine in the West Village. It is a tiny, modest BYOB French bistro that does not take reservations. Lucie started with a French onion soup that was just right while I took one of the specials, Yellowfin tuna tartare, which was good but had too much lime. We drank a tasty Chardonnay, 2006 Fevre Fourchaume. Fevre's recent Chablis are better than previously, IMO, but it was hard to tell that this youngster was a Chablis. For her main course Lucie ordered beef migonnette with a green peppercorn sauce and I ordered bouchee a la reine, which was a pastry stuffed with chicken and mushrooms with a cream sauce. Mine was quite good but too rich for me to eat more than a third of the dish, but Lucie helped and I also ate some of her beef. Her meat was cooked properly and the sauce was exactly as it should be. Unfortunately, the pommes frites were MacDonald's minus. With the main courses we drank 2001 Beausejour. It was certainly good, although the Merlot had a roasted quality. Most of the '01 right bankers we have tried are closer to maturity than this Beausejour, which is a bit hard in the mid palate.

Tartine is a good value and a reasonable venue for a modest dinner despite the too close tables and Houston loudness. Our tab was $83 for two, including tip, and corkage is free.

stefan
Ramon_NYC

Re: Review: Tartine in NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Good to see you making the rounds of some eclectic local BYOB establishments. Tartine also serves good breakfast and is our "go to" whenever we want some spur-of-the-moment, quick and reasonably priced French bistro fare where we can BYOB.

Try out our current favorite in Soho, about 10 minutes cab ride south from the West Village: La Sirene. The Southwestern/Mediterranean French food is rustic and well prepared. The cassoulet here is terrific, imho. This is a very casual, almost no-frills BYOB place that takes care of their diners. Advanced reservation is a must and, as a warning, this is a small 25-seater bistro that is just slightly more comfortable than Tartine ... but with much better food, imho

http://www.lasirenenyc.com
stefan

Post by stefan »

Thanks for tip, Ramon. I have one for you, too, when I post on North Square.

stefan
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Stefan,

Which Beauséjour?

Alex
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I'm loving these dining reports, Stefan. This place, and La Sirene and North Square are all going on my list of NY restaurants. And Mas is coming off...
stefan

Post by stefan »

Duffau, Alex.

Thanks, David.

stefan