My new favorite all around wine glass

RPCV

My new favorite all around wine glass

Post by RPCV »

I am a long-time Riedel fan and recently took a chance on something new. I am hooked on the Gabriel-Las StandArt edition as it is simply a best in class wine vessel. It is exceptional in balance and perfect for an all-around choice for red or white wine. At $31 per it isn't cheap and it is machine made. However, I really like it.....stay safe all.
JimHow

Re: My new favorite all around wine glass

Post by JimHow »

You too, RC.
I'll check it out.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

The Standart has been my daily choice ever since I bought 6 of them on Berserkerday a few years ago - and now I'm down to one. :cry:
I've decided to make my new Grassl tasting glasses the house daily wine glass as soon as the last GG is broken.
But next time I see GG Standarts at a great sale price I plan to buy another 6 pack.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I keep hearing the GG Gold is the bee's knees of wine glasses. How does it differ from or compare to the StandArt?

Not that I need or even have room for any more wine glasses (I’ve been told "No more f-ing glasses.")
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

Hand blown versus machine-made, I believe.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Interesting choice, the shape looks good. What types of wines are you drinking in them? Looks like they would be good for whites, champagne, and older reds. Might have to pick up a couple to try
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I use mine for almost all wine that I drink, which is 95%+ Bordeaux.
I did buy a couple Grassl 1855s for when I open a really special bottle.
Jürgen Steinke

Post by Jürgen Steinke »

The Gold edition is very nice but my 6 glasses were broken within a few month. The standard collection is heavier but way less fragil. Good glasses.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I love Reidel Bordeaux glasses. One of my best friends gifted me and use them occasionally...

However, for daily drinking, I got six packs each of Bordeaux and Burgundy glasses from world market store. If I am not mistaken, these are made by Spiegelau for world market store. And Spiegelau glasses are up there with Riedel in quality and price. Both of these Bordeaux and Burgundy glasses are terrific and cost around 25 bucks for a six pack of Bordeaux and Burgundy glasses. Usually there is a sale during Christmas at world market and I paid 20 bucks for a six pack....And it won’t bring wringing pain when one breaks, vis a vis Reidel...If anyone is considering buying wine glasses, especially for daily drinking, I urge to look into those.... I have been very happy with them...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I've been going with the Riedel Bordeaux vinums for decades.
I hardly ever break them.
Attachments
IMG_3684.jpg
IMG_3684.jpg (115.2 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I am not disparaging if someone uses Costco glasses (kirkland brand)....

IMO, wine glasses should be of right proportion and size. Reidel and other notables have the same proportions and sizes, and I like that. For daily drinking, I was looking at Costco glasses and their Bordeaux glasses are bigger than those from Reidel, etc. I don’t like those Costco’s big glasses, but otherwise they seem good... Why does everything has to be big in Costco?? :cry:
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

Consumed the 2016 Potensac last night with these stems and found them to be superior for my taste.....I'm now convinced these are the best wine glasses for what I am looking for in quality, value, performance and durability. I have a good friend that turned my of to the Gold version and I loved them but like others have noted, they are more fragile. These are sturdy.

And, BTW....the 2016 Potensac was lovely....a clear case buy at ~$23.50 from Costco with the 10% discount.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I have a lot of Riedel Vinum Bordeaux, just like those Jim posted, a lot of Riedel Champagne (I've forgotten which version), and a lot of Riedel Zin/Chianti glasses. Plus a fair number of Riedel Vinum Burgundy, Riedel Vinum Syrah/N Rhone, Zalto Universal, Zalto Bordeaux, and Zalto Champagne. Then a few each of a bunch of different glasses that are all in the basement somewhere. I'm sure it's not as much as some have but it's way too many f'in glasses for our needs.

The Riedel Bordeaux, Champagne, and Zin/Chianti are go-to for larger gatherings.

Zaltos for just us. I like the Bordeaux glass for Burgs and Pinots and the Universal for most everything else. The Zalto Burg is too big for me.

That said, I'm tempted by all the positive feedback on the Gabriel Glass. At least ITNOS.
jal

Post by jal »

I now use Grassl Liberté glasses for Champagne and white wine. I have 8 of those, purchased last year, and have not broken any yet. THeyare awesome. We drank from Gabriel glasses in restaurants in France last year and I liked them but I thought the Grassl Liberté were comparable.
For reds, if it's just the two of us, then Zalto Universal.
When we are a crowd (not happening any time soon unfortunately) then it's Riedel Vinum, either Bordeaux or Burgundy.
Best

Jacques
sdr

Post by sdr »

I am one of the few who usually bring their own stemware to restaurants. Most restaurant glassware, regardless how nice it looks from a distance, is contaminated by soap residue. I go only one of two ways - cheap big clunkers for a large number of people and modest wines or Zalto Universals/white/champagne for better wines and more table space.

Stu
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Like many we have stuck to Riedl Vinum Bordeaux, Chardonnay, Chianti and a few Shiraz glasses. For tastings and larger dinners we picked up from one of our local restaurant suppliers 3 cases of Riedl glass glasses that are a clone of the Vinum but manufatured glass. Anything with a rolled rim is a no no and the thickness of the glass just makes it feel clunky for a lot of commercial glasses. Restaurants tend to be variable and there are some with nice glasses but often not clean. Many restaurants use these glass dryers and polishers that drive me crazy because if they aren't cleaned multiple times a day they make the lasses smell like a dirty mop and dishwashers often leave soap residue.

There are a lot of beautiful glasses out there but I've restrained from extending from the Vinums as they more than meet our needs even though we have tried many others. The Bordeuax Grand Cru are expensive, huge and the do elevate fine aged Bordeaux over and above the vinums we've found.
Danny
jckba

Post by jckba »

Much like Danny, I still use Riedel Vinum glasses pretty much exclusively as I love the shape and the feel of them and doubt I will switch to anything other as my girlfriend may shoot me if I buy anymore glassware. Granted several years back Bed Bath & Beyond was clearing out special anniversary sets of Vinum glasses (Cabernet/Merlot (or Bdx) and Riesling/Chianti for $42 per 6pack after 20% coupon) and I bought what I would consider to be a lifetime supply. And much like Stu, I have no problem bringing my own stems to a restaurant or a friends when the need arises.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

I will grab a few to try then. I use mostly riedel vinum extreme bordeaux/cab glasses for my regular reds (and also white burgs/chards). Also have a zalto bordeaux that I tend to prefer for any older reds as it seems to show the florality better. Not currently a fan of my zalto burgundy glass for some reason and cannot figure out why.. I prefer my riedel grand cru burg.

Still looking for the perfect glass for rieslings, champagnes and general whites and always looking for something that seems to consistently enhance the experience.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Joel, a lot of people like the Gabriel glass for Champagne, Riesling, and most whites. I use the Riedel Vinum Zin/Chianti glass for those. I’d try the Gabriel if I weren’t on double secret wine glass buying probation.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Already ordered a couple.. although amazon is taking a month for some reason.. i think i'll survive

Eric and Janet like to use the Zalto sweet wine glasses for their champagnes which i thought was an interesting choice. I did not like the regular Zalto champagne glasses
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

The Zalto Champagne glasses are elegant/exotically light, etc. but I prefer larger non-fluted glasses for Champagne.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Got the GG from amazon today, they are nice and i definitely like the shape of the glass, may use these for older wines as well as whites.. the only thing i would prefer about them is a slightly lighter stem as these are just a tad too heavy and sturdy for me