2016 Chateau Bourgneuf

Nicklasss

2016 Chateau Bourgneuf

Post by Nicklasss »

After reading good comments about that wine, and some bottles appeared yesterday at my local wine store, i went to pick up a trio.

Bizzarely, everything's closed here, except essential/emergency services (grocery, pharmacy, police, fireman, hospital, ambulance) and wine stores and marijuana stores.

I can't remember which vintages of that Pomerol I had in the past, but it left me a good impression in the past. I decided to open a bottle of the 2016 last night, as wevwere cooking beef filet mignon aux olives.

The wine is dark red. The nose is still very young, but already with medium to powerful perfumes of sweet cheeries, cocoa, light vanilla oak, ginger bread and more cherries. In mouth, the density is noticeable with flavors of red cherries and berries, slightly candied. Sweet spicy oak, it is integrated to the fruit but in a way i did not encountered often, with also some cinnamon. Fresh and with good tannins, the wine is already with good length. Even if dry wine, it is like the oak give a sweet spicy twist to the wine. I guess the two other bottle will sleep a few years. Excellent in it's way, but very cabernet franc with oak style. Tn: 90. I think the blackberry merlot character is buried in the wine at the moment, but will blast in 5-8 years.

Nic
greatbxfreak

Re: 2016 Chateau Bourgneuf

Post by greatbxfreak »

I know this property very well and this wine is made by Frederique Vayron. Vayrons has owned Bourgneuf (before Bourgneuf Vayron) since 1840.

90% Merlot + 10% Cabernet Franc, situated less then one kilometre from famous Trotanoy.

Before Frederique Vayron took over vinification duties in 2008, the wine was very traditional, strong and powerful Pomerol. She added however some feminine touch, elegance, more precision and focus to it. 2010 vintage is a wolf in sheep's clothes (only 22 hl/ha), 2016 and 2018 are stunning. I believe 2016 is worth more than NIclasss 90p rating. It's a great example of excellent Pomerol wine!

https://www.greatbordeauxwines.com/chat ... /bourgneuf
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Thanks for the tasting note.

Bourgneuf will always be a special wine for me, as in many ways, it was a 1990 Bourgneuf I had in the early 2000s that sparked my infatuation with Bordeaux wines. I bought it from a Supermarket in Normandy and when I had it in the early 2000s, it was the single greatest wine I had ever had up until that point. As a result, I bought their wine as much as possible over the years, hoping to once again scale the height of that 1990.

Unfortunately, I have found their wines much more recently to be disappointing (thin, bland, vegetal and austere) and somewhat reluctantly, I stopped seeking their wines out.

Maybe it’s time for a rethink however, and the 2016 seems readily available still.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

greatbxfreak wrote: Before Frederique Vayron took over vinification duties in 2008, the wine was very traditional, strong and powerful Pomerol.
Thanks for the above. Come to think of it, their wines pre-2008 we the ones I typically loved!
AKR

Post by AKR »

One of our dear (departed) friends served us a 90 Bourgneuf many years ago, and it too was stunning, and a bottle that one didn't hear much about.

From examples I've had I think they do well with cellaring, so suggest some patience. 2016 seems like it would be too young today, but no experience with it. We had a 2005 a year or two ago that was quite nice -- although not well regarded by critics -- and I enjoyed it.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks for the memories and info.

Leftover tonight was way better, more integrated and the Pomerol merlot black fruit was there. Some truffle too, and less oaky tones. I would agree with some feminine touch, and rewarding.

One or two more points tonight.

Nic
AKR

Post by AKR »

I'm finishing the last of a chunky Rouget tonight. It's my favorite AOC
brodway

Post by brodway »

Arv

I've been drinking up a case of the 1998 Rouget...excellent value and keeps getting better every cork pull...Next time we meet i'll bring a bottle
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Nic:

Sounds like you are trying to fit a square, chunky peg into a round hole here, making yourself "want" to like this wine.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

I haven't yet tried Bourgneuf yet but will seek some out, hopefully both pre-2008 and post-2008 to see which i find better.

But speaking of Rouget, just finished off some 2012(which i can still get at a steal of $30) and it is a very solid pomerol, in a good spot with a short decant or generous time in the glass. I have a bottle of the 2000 that i need to try soon as well. But i also have a 100 other bottles i need to try "soon". Saving(hoarding) wine is fun. But on that note, auctions have been going crazy with everyone stuck at home!
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

The 2003, of all vintages, was excellent.
brodway

Post by brodway »

Arv

90 Bourgneuf and Gazin....if its whom i think you are referring to. It was one of the reasons i purchased the 2016 Gazin last year.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

I’ve always enjoyed this classic estate but have not tried a new release in quite some time. Popped a 1982 last month that was beautiful. Will seeking out some 2016. Wally’s has it for fifty bucks.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

You're right: i want to love that wine, as it is a red Bordeaux, but i want not at the same time, as it is a Right Bank.

Nic
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Decided to give this producer another go and picked up a couple of 2016s on sale for NZ $60 ($35 US?) which seemed too good a deal to ignore. Look forward to seeing how this has evolved since my earlier experiences with this estate.