2002 Ch. Bellegrave, Pauillac

AlexR

2002 Ch. Bellegrave, Pauillac

Post by AlexR »

I have passed in front of this estate I don't know how many times without ever visiting or tasting their wine.

The château building is kind of cool, set back among trees on the right as you enter Pauillac coming from Bordeaux, not far from Lynch Bages.
http://www.chateau-bellegrave.com/defau ... te&at=Home

It was owned by the Dutch-American Van Der Voort family for years, and bought by Gabriel Meffre of Ch. du Glana over 12 years ago.

Anyway, I thought to myself: the end of a long week, wife's coming back from shopping with a roast chicken, need something not too fancy, but interesting and ready to go: chose 2002 Bellegrave.

For a start, the color was much deeper than expected.
The nose seemed pretty insignificant at first, then blossomed to reveal pure, fresh, ethereal red and black fruit in a minor chord. Very understated oak.
Good weight on the palate (more than expected from the bouquet) with a sleek, smooth texture and a taste profile more reminiscent to me of a Margaux than anything else. Great Cabernet characteristics. Not a powerhouse by any means, and far more lively than foursquare (in that respect, unlike many Pauillacs). A very successful 2002. A "food wine" if I dare say: a wine that would be easily overwhelmed in a competitive tasting, but whose class and balance are a delight at table.
Subtle blackcurrant flavors, good acidity, and a slightly granular finish.
In a nice place now: further softening of the tannins will most likely be accompanied by a loss of the seductive fruitiness.
A very satisfying discovery.

If Bellegrave can do this in a vintage like 2002, it makes me wonder what it's like in a more highly-reputed vintage.

Does anyone have recent experience with this wine?

Best regards,
Alex R.
Ramon_NYC

Re: 2002 Ch. Bellegrave, Pauillac

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Sorry, no experience here with the Bellegrave. But, your note was very reminiscent of my experience with the 2002 Pontet Canet when I tasted it upon release here and which subsequently got me to buy and stash away a 6-pack.

Thanks for the note, Alex, as I’m quite anxious to read data points on the 2002s.
Rudi Finkler

Re: 2002 Ch. Bellegrave, Pauillac

Post by Rudi Finkler »

Thanks for the interesting note, Alex! I had a 2003 Bellegrave a few months ago, and I must say it was delicious. I rated it 88+ points. Certainly a wine worth seeking out...