2005 Beychevelle,2005 Clos de L'Oratoire, 2010 Clos Re Vouge

spikegrhm

2005 Beychevelle,2005 Clos de L'Oratoire, 2010 Clos Re Vouge

Post by spikegrhm »

Enjoyed a tasting this weekend on an Alabama creekbank sitting in camp chairs with a group of ten chums, proper distance maintained. Late afternoon temp was a tad warm ( mid 80's ) for reds, yet, we soldiered on doing our duty for the tasting gods. Had a couple of whites of no particular note before moving to the reds. (1) I have had the 2005 Beychevelle several times in the last half decade. The last bottle approximately two years suggested that this wine was hitting its full stride. This bottle with less than an hour decant was still a bit bashfull. Nose was quite shy. Palate of blueberries with little in the way of complexity was still somewhat shrouded in tannins. Better as time went by suggesting a longer decant would have been proper. (2) 2005 Clos De L'Oratoire (GCC St. Emillion) was at a perfect peak with a similar decant. The nose on this modern girl could have been a huge bowl of dark blue fruit, simply sexy to the fullest. Tannins are a thing of yesterday with the big blue fruit offering just a touch of cedar. This wine fit the day perfectly. (3) Burgundy producer Piere Andre is unknown to me as it was to my friend who brought the bottle ( birthday gift from his sister). This 2010 Clos De Vougeot was far more ready for consumption then I might have guessed. Very bright strawberry nose was followed by a medium body at best which reminded me of picking fresh raspberries along Hwy 1 on the Oregon Coast. Blind, I certainly would have guessed Burgundy, however, I think I would have been pegged this bottle as an exceptional Village bottle of Volnay instead of a GC . In my defense, GC Burgundy wines and I do not often consort with one another. Altogether, a worthy way to waste a Saturday during the pandemic.
JimHow

Re: 2005 Beychevelle,2005 Clos de L'Oratoire, 2010 Clos Re Vouge

Post by JimHow »

Well done, Spike, very well done indeed.
I've been enjoying these recent vintages of Clos de l'Oratoire from 14/15/16, it is a serious wine.
Comte Flaneur

Re: 2005 Beychevelle,2005 Clos de L'Oratoire, 2010 Clos Re Vouge

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks for the notes Spike. I love the 2005 Beychevelle which I regard as the most open for business of the top flight St-Js in 2005.