Thanksgiving 2009, Day -1?

stefan

Thanksgiving 2009, Day -1?

Post by stefan »

Lucie flew to Oregon Saturday to be with stefanJr, Irena, and of course toddler Shea. T & J will arrive there before dinner on Tuesday. I'll join them late Tuesday night, but maybe early enough to taste what they have tomorrow at dinner if my wineHog family does not finish every drop. Thinking about their imbibing made me thirsty, so tonight I opened a 1998 Jadot Clos Vougeot to go with leftover steak & mushrooms over mashed potatoes and green beans.

Jadot hit a home run in 1997. All the domaine wines from that year I have drunk have been very good. They were approachable early and still are very nice. I was less impressed with the 1998 Jadot wines and so bought only a few. They seemed coarse and clunky in their youth. However, this Clos Vougeot has aged very nicely. It has pure flavors of red raspberries and cranberries and thyme in the nose to go with the fruit smells. Still less refined and elegant than the 1997, it has come a long way and likely will outlive the 1997 as its tannic structure is firmer. The only cautionary note is that it has heat at the high back. For drinking now this wine rates 91 in my book. I wish that I had bought more when it was cheap, not that its current price of $70-$85 is unreasonable.

On an unrelated matter, WineBid told me that they would no longer ship to Texas. Texas has a law against out of state retailers shipping into the state that is being enforced, and WineBid, unlike most resellers, are now not shipping to Texas. Likely the law will be declared unconstitutional, but in the meantime WB is not an option for me.

stefan
JCNorthway

Re: Thanksgiving 2009, Day -1?

Post by JCNorthway »

"Thanksgiving 2009, Day 1". Here we go again!

I love following the saga, Stefan. Looking forward to the next 5-6 days of reports!.

Jon