Happy 2020 Thanksgiving

Nicklasss

Happy 2020 Thanksgiving

Post by Nicklasss »

To my friends in the USA. Enjoy your holiday, and don't forget to open a good wine, with your turkey meal (and report here on BWE of course)!

Nic
Comte Flaneur

Re: Happy 2020 Thanksgiving

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Echoing Nic, Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends too.

Eat and drink well, and toast to a better year ahead and, fingers and toes crossed, a BWE reunion.

Comte Flaneur de Boulevardier
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

All the best to BWE, in country and abroad.

Having a 99 St Innocent Shea Pinot Noir with dinner.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Thanks to our favorite overseas wine friends. I'm not sure that I would frequent BWE if it weren't for your diverse and very knowledgable info and opinions. Hope to see you all in 2021!
And hope to see some of the DC and US BWE'ers sooner if possible! Happy thanksgiving to everyone.

Having some Gaston Chiquet Brut Tradition NV with roast chicken and vegetables dinner. Then 2009 Jadot Estournelles and the last glass of the 2000 D'issan from last night that turned out beautifully.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Little night, but a nice little surprise. The 2015 Casa Vella d'Espiells Cabernet Sauvignon Penedes. Nice medium red, with a very nice nose of red cherries, blackberries, very nice spicy oak, light balsamic tones. Medium power nose. In mouth, well balanced, complex, flavors of blackberries, leather, black prunes, with again nice integrated wood, good quatity of tannins that gives a very apparent structure. Add some concentrated flowers, licoriçe, and a long fresh tannic blackfruit finish. Excellent and very affordable. Tn: 90.

Nic
tim

Post by tim »

Thanks Nicolas! And Happy Thanksgiving to all!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

I hope everyone has had a great day with full bellies and maybe some limited company to keep safe. I've missed the daily annual Stefan reviews this year?? Hopefully some reviews will be up soon.
Danny
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Ditto
Happy thanksgiving folks.
Amazingly the locals in Singapore have discovered Thanksgiving this year - maybe a virus driven activity.
Cheers
Mark
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Thanks Nic. A 2008 Gaston Chiquet Special Club and a 2000 Lafon Rochet were uncorked. Neither one thrilled me.
marcs

Post by marcs »

I opened --

2001 VCC -- CORKED argh

2015 Drouhin CHambolle Musigny 1er Cru -- wonderful, a bit too young but still giving

2009 Vincent Girardin Chassagne Montrachet Clos du Cailleret -- really nice, rich and lively/acidic at the same time, caramel plus a twist of grapefruit, a bit of oak as it warmed up, excellent turkey match

2009 Suduiraut -- at its youthful peak of spicy fruitiness but couldn't handle much after all the other stuff we had
Last edited by marcs on Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKR

Post by AKR »

For a smaller Thanksgiving with just the nuclear family, we had a frozen Butterball breast (!) which actually turned out very well, and the kids ate most of it up. Kind of a manufactured product, pre brined / deboned / deskinned / tied etc. But easy to deal with, and it had been a long time since I'd used one of these.

We had a Brouilly to go with it - des Tours - where they apparently have been making wine for over 700 years.

Be well all.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Like most others, we had a more subdued Thanksgiving this year with just the immediate family. With the obligatory turkey and sides was a 2016 J. Moreau & Fils Chablis 1er Cru Montmains, 2016 Domaine Chataignier Durand Vieilles Vignes Juliénas Jean-Marc Monnet (gamay) and a 2016 Château Climens (375) with apple crisp and pecan pie.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Likewise, there were only five of us this year, rather than the usual dozen or more.
I uncorked another 2017 Felsina Berardegna Chianti, that is a lovely little wine, very nice fruit and balance, no sharp edges, and the $21 price is right.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Jay Winton wrote:Thanks Nic. A 2008 Gaston Chiquet Special Club and a 2000 Lafon Rochet were uncorked. Neither one thrilled me.
I had the Gaston recently and found it to be fairly tasty. I am a fan of the producer in general though. If you can get your hands on the 2008 BDB, that is an amazing wine. I'll bring one sometime if/when we see each other again Jay.
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

I was thinking a German Riesling would go well with turkey, especially the white meat. The 2001 Dönnhoff Niederhauser Hermansshöle Riesling Spätlese, rare as turkey teeth, was very good. But not thrilling. I think I may have lost my taste for sweet German wine.

Happy holidays to all.

Stu
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

We opened a 2016 Penner Ash Zena Crown Pinot Noir - nice fresh fruit flavors with some structure. Also opened a 2001 Selbach Oster Riesling Auslese Zeltinger Sonnenuhr. The Riesling was great with the turkey and traditional bread stuffing. It still seemed youthful. I have one more, which may get saved until next Thanksgiving.