Thanksgiving Wines

William P

Thanksgiving Wines

Post by William P »

Being thankful that I am drinking wine this Thanksgiving, I opened two bottles last night. I decided to retest the Potel tree of wines after my slight confusion over my last Potel. This time I opened the 2005 Charmes-Chambertin. No official notes from last night but this is my impression. A lovely wine with scents of ripe cherry, earth, and cranberry. This is exceptionally well balanced. Bright acid is offset by a medium light weight on the palate. Concentration is medium. Both on the nose and palate there is the beginning of tertiary properties - very pleasant. Unlike the 2002 Les Gaudichots this wine did not suffer from an abundance of wood. Medium length. This wine is at its plateau but it will hold thanks to the beautiful structure. A fine example of Burgundy.

Prior to the C-C I drank a Linqua Franca 2018 Avni Chardonnay. This is an Willamette wine and I happen to be a fan of Oregon Chardonnays. This wine is LF's bargain model at $27.00 but it was worth every penny. It has apple crisp like acid, Medium body, and medium light fruit concentration. There is a balance of fruit and mineral on the palate but unlike many Chards made in California the fruit is slightly introverted, thus the emphasis is on structure and balance rather than fruit concentration. A most enjoyable Chardonnay.

bill
stefan

Re: Thanksgiving Wines

Post by stefan »

I am surprised the the Potel C-C is so good already. That encourages me to open a Potel from this century.

We drank 1996 Dom Perignon and 2008 St Innocent Shea. This was a good time to drink the Dom. It has developed some old Dom complexity and still has reasonable effervescence. The 2008 Shea is amazing; Grand Cru Burgundy quality. This was our last bottle, but stefanJr has a bunch because his daughter Shea was born in 2008.
AKR

Post by AKR »

William P wrote:Being thankful that I am drinking wine this Thanksgiving, I opened two bottles last night. I decided to retest the Potel tree of wines after my slight confusion over my last Potel. This time I opened the 2005 Charmes-Chambertin. No official notes from last night but this is my impression. A lovely wine with scents of ripe cherry, earth, and cranberry. This is exceptionally well balanced. Bright acid is offset by a medium light weight on the palate. Concentration is medium. Both on the nose and palate there is the beginning of tertiary properties - very pleasant. Unlike the 2002 Les Gaudichots this wine did not suffer from an abundance of wood. Medium length. This wine is at its plateau but it will hold thanks to the beautiful structure. A fine example of Burgundy.

Prior to the C-C I drank a Linqua Franca 2018 Avni Chardonnay. This is an Willamette wine and I happen to be a fan of Oregon Chardonnays. This wine is LF's bargain model at $27.00 but it was worth every penny. It has apple crisp like acid, Medium body, and medium light fruit concentration. There is a balance of fruit and mineral on the palate but unlike many Chards made in California the fruit is slightly introverted, thus the emphasis is on structure and balance rather than fruit concentration. A most enjoyable Chardonnay.

bill
that is great you are getting back into the swing of things....I will drop you a note
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Sounds like you're feeling better, Bill, good to hear.
Happy Thanksgiving!