TN: 1995 Haut Bailly

JCNorthway

TN: 1995 Haut Bailly

Post by JCNorthway »

I think this is the 4th of six bottles that I bought at auction about 10 years ago. My notes on every previous bottle seem to indicate that it was just OK, but that it might have some future potential. As of tonight, I'm not sure this wine will really improve. I've always felt that it was a bit "off" in its general flavor profile, though I have never been able to identify an obvious flaw with it. The closest I can come is to say it seems like there was a bit of rot in the fruit that has caused the wine to have a bit of "stewed prunes" flavor. It is not obviously flawed, but it just seems to come up way short of a 90 point RMP wine. A few years ago I thought perhaps the wine was just closed. But after several similar experiences, I'm inclined to believe there is no upside to this wine. I'd give it 87 points at most.

Any other folks who have experience with this wine?

Jon
stefan

Re: TN: 1995 Haut Bailly

Post by stefan »

Sounds like it could be bad provenance, Jon.

BTW: The 1999 Haut Bailly is very good and the 1998 is excellent. The former drinks wonderfully now and the latter will improve for years.

stefan
chris kissack

Post by chris kissack »

Agree with Stefan. Just opened the first of my Haut-Bailly 1995 in the last few weeks, and it was delicious. Stewed prunes it definitely wasn't!
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Well, that's two votes for questionable provenance. And based on the official reviews I've read about this wine, you both could be right. It would be interesting to have the opportunity to taste one of my bottles alongside one from a different source just to see what the difference is.

Jon