Bacchanalian Brotherhood

AKR

Bacchanalian Brotherhood

Post by AKR »

https://shop.kermitlynch.com/pages/news ... rhood.html

I've had a few Gombaude Guillot's in the past.

They are far on the AFWE spectrum, at least the older ones.

I've put away a 2010 but don't have high hopes.

Hopefully that is something to pour with the cadres here.

I am literally reading that article on my printed flyer -- they have been mailing them to me for 15-20 years -- despite minimal direct purchases while sipping an herbal 2001 Fleur de Jauge.

But I thought folks here would get a kick out of it, so wanted to share the link.
Nicklasss

Re: Bacchanalian Brotherhood

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice link Arv.

With time, I appreciate more and more Pomerol. Count me as a fan of Gombaude-Guillot. The 2008 I had in January was very good, fruity, complex and with some character, but also light on it's feet. In the past, I enjoyed also the 1996 and 2000 a lot. Not a flashy or contest beast wine, always more aligned with claret.

Of the less expensive Pomerol, I also like the 2010 Chateau Caillou. Chocolate powder, light prune fruit, sandy tannins. Very good.

I did not tried any of the "new style" Pomerol like the Pom'n'Roll. There are a few others but basically, when I want a basic Pomerol, I go with the basic Moueix Pomerol blend, and it never deceive for the price.

Nic
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

I am a member of 2 confréries : the Commanderie du Médoc and Les Baillis de Lalande de Pomerol.

The ceremonies go on forever, but you socialize and the time passes.

Pomerol is a treasure trove, and the fun is in ferreting out good, little-known estates. Feytit-Clinet was once such an estate. Belle Brise is another.

Alex R.
AKR

Post by AKR »

MichaelP poured us an 82 Feytit Clinet maybe a year ago. I don't think I'd had/seen one before. We're starting to get recent vintages out on the west coast now though.

Kermit Lynch represented wines are usually priced aspirationally over here, often because they are clever enough to trademark the labels, so grey market importing of their portfolio is hard. So in Bordeaux I think they are priced far above their fair value. G-G may be an ok Pomerol, but its not a $60-$80 list price one.
AKR

Post by AKR »

AKR wrote:
I am literally reading that article on my printed flyer -- they have been mailing them to me for 15-20 years -- despite minimal direct purchases while sipping an herbal 2001 Fleur de Jauge.
I'm finishing what I think is the last bottle of my 98 Fleur de Jauge [St Emilion] whose fruit has faded a lot in the last 5 years. 13% abv (stated) in an era where that was on the fulsome side. It is ok over 3 days, but best on the first, after an hour of air. Some nuts, cranberry fruits, and more sediment that you'd think. Parker chatted it up during this era and this was something that Zachy's brought in for a few years; I've never seen another comment on this estate on BWE (unusually!). I think I bought 98, 99, 00, 01, and 05 (untasted but on the rack to be consumed soon) but have not seen recent vintages. Good fruity St Em...but I held it longer than ideal...probably peaked at age 10-12.
Claret

Post by Claret »

I had the 98 a long while ago. Not too impressed, fruit heavy is my recollection.
Glenn