2018 Il Poggione Rosso di Montalcino

Nicklasss

2018 Il Poggione Rosso di Montalcino

Post by Nicklasss »

Had that wine last night, and really feeled i had to do an individual complete report on that wine.

The 2018 Il Poggione Rosso di Montalcino is a wine for people who like traditionnally made wines. The color is medium light red but clearly with that light brownish shine. Nose was restrained at first, mostly on red cherries, but opened nicely on more cherries, blackberries, flowers, strong bay leaves, light cocoa, and something like musk or game. Of medium power that nose but quite complex with nothing modern, too concentrated or sweet. In mouth, good density for that sangiovese wine, infused by terroir and oak in a traditionnal way. Dense dark cherries and flowers attack, with that nice integrated complex wood spicy layers. Lot of tannins, grainy fruit finish, with lighr balsamic touch. Decent length. Austere but giving so much and complex at the same time. Excellent with the farfalle alla putanesca last night. Tn: 91-92.

I bought some of their 2015 Brunello and I'm now really in a hurry to taste them in 5-10 years.

Nic