NWR: Mac or PC?

JimHow

NWR: Mac or PC?

Post by JimHow »

We're buying a new computer this week, most likely a Mac so I can have Garage Band to record the demos for the CD my band is recording.

Does anyone have any advice, thoughts, preferences, recommendations as to which system you prefer?
Rick

Re: NWR: Mac or PC?

Post by Rick »

I have no clue about PC but waiting to hear CD
good luck
rick
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Never used the Garage Band feature, but I've been a satisfied Mac convert for 6+ years now. Although, it doesn't hurt to have a cheap low-end PC as a 2nd laptop at home.

Looking forward to hearing your band's recordings.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I have used Macs for 20 years but have never tried Garage Band. Mac hardware fails less than other brands and the system is more stable, particularly now that it is Unix based.

stefan
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks for the input. I've never had a Mac but I'll tell you I really like my iPhone.

We've worked about five different versions of "Driving into Nashville," Rick, including a slide guitar version that I think I'm partial to. I've recruited an off-broadway actress/opera singing law student to sing some of the vocals, as well as a couple other lawyer musicians....
jal

Post by jal »

I've been using Macs since before the 1984 commercial, I just bought a 20" Imac and it is gorgeous. The only experience I have with Garage Band is creating ringtones for my Iphone and that went very smoothly.
Best

Jacques
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Mac or PC?

Isnt' that a bit like:

- Bordeaux or Burgundy?

- Blonde or bruntette?

- Democrat or Republican?

Alex R. :-)
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I use laptops exclusively at home. Long-time PC user, just bought a Macbook Pro for my daughter, who is fed up with the constant crashes on her PC laptop. Not willing to give Windows 7 a try - I thin that smarmy/geeky PC guy on the Apple commercials got to me. I think my next laptop is going to be a Mac. I am told that 2 gigs RAM is enough, as the Mac OS is less memory hungry than Windows, unless you've got some memory-intensive software that you want to run. Don't know anything about Garage Band.
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
the Mac OS is less memory hungry than Windows>>
>>

Very true, David, because so much is hard wired. That is proprietary and Windows must accomplish similar looks and operator only with software.

stefan
johnz

Post by johnz »

Jim -- In my experience (and my wife Lucy's) Macs are far superior to PCs -- probably why they cost more. They're more stable, more reliable, and you don't have to worry much about viruses. Good luck.

--Gary Rust
jal

Post by jal »

I think the die is cast: Buy a Mac. I bought the basic IMac 21.5 inch for about $1200 last week. My only small problem is that the wireless keyboard doesn't have a numeric keypad, but that's easily fixed with any USB keyboard.
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks again for the advice.
I'm especially interested in the Mac's immunity from viruses. I have this big fancy expensive super-powerful Dell PC laptop and it suffers way too much from viruses, spyware, etc.
stefan

Post by stefan »

"Immunity" is too strong a word, Jim. Clean living and innoculations are advisable on the Mac, too, even if there are fewer diseases that attack Macs.

stefan
RDD

Post by RDD »

JimHow wrote:We're buying a new computer this week, most likely a Mac so I can have Garage Band to record the demos for the CD my band is recording.

Does anyone have any advice, thoughts, preferences, recommendations as to which system you prefer?
If you are really interested in recording, let me know and I'll hook you up with a friend at work.
Been doing it all his life. He can guide you thru the differences of a PC/MAC based system or a dedicated multi-tracker (BOSS/Yamaha etc).
I'd save some money for good microphones as that makes a huge difference. Good condenser microphones for vocals are not cheap. Some decent one can be had for 500.00 or so.

I'm only good at running live sound.