VCC Zoom

Musigny 151

VCC Zoom

Post by Musigny 151 »

So young Joel needs a push to open a bottle of 1998 VCC. I don’t need a push; i have another bottle of the 2014 standing awaiting execution. Looks like we have a start; we need more volunteers to enable Joel.
Blanquito

Re: VCC Zoom

Post by Blanquito »

I own ZERO bottles of VCC. I could open a different 98 Rightie though.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Musigny 151 wrote:So young Joel needs a push to open a bottle of 1998 VCC. I don’t need a push; i have another bottle of the 2014 standing awaiting execution. Looks like we have a start; we need more volunteers to enable Joel.
This got an out loud chuckle from me, but I'm in. Provided that it is sometime after Feb 5th which is the last day of my 30 day wine fast.

Maybe we could broaden it to Pomerol in general. Would be fun if people pop in with the same vintage of a different Pomerol as well.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

We'll open a (BWE legend) 1988 if we can attend whatever time is chosen.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I’m in too.

I have the same request as Joel re fasting.

I think I should opt for a 2001.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Interested in joining as well and can do either the 98 or the 14.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

I am happy to widen to Pomerol, but I think it would be even easier to just focus on wines of the Right Bank.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Depending on date and time, we would love to join. We need some advance notice to access the cellar.
We had a VCC 90 on a BWE zoom call a few months ago and it was very complex. I think I rated it a bit lower than it deserved because it grew in complexity and long finish after the call.
Michael-P
marcs

Post by marcs »

I have plenty of VCC, don't want to touch 2005 yet but I could try 1998, 2001, 2004, or 2011. Probably 98/01/04 is best now.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

marcs wrote:I have plenty of VCC, don't want to touch 2005 yet but I could try 1998, 2001, 2004, or 2011. Probably 98/01/04 is best now.
I have had two bottles of the 2004 this past year, delish and open!
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

How about Saturday Feb 6th?
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Fine with me
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Looks as if it won’t happen now; perhaps later
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

There hasn't been a lot of posting on here in general. Everyone is probably too busy buying Gamestop and Doge Coin, maybe it will settle down by thursday or friday and people will want in. If not, then I'll just have to open a Leoville Barton 2002 instead :)
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Feb 6 is a bit soon for me and do not have any VCC currently on the premises which means driving across London to access my storage - for those who know London that means driving from Islington to Fulham. But I hope we can do it with more participation in a few weeks. I woukd be keen to give the 01 another run out. Last time I don’ think I gave it enough time to warm up.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

No worries Ian. Let's revisit.

Hope the last couple days of your fast go well. I am on day 26 of 30 now. Filling the void by going through in the evenings and picking out all the bottles I want to open in February.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I think I start back on the same day as you Joel. I am on day 28 out of 33. I start over on Thursday evening Feb 4th.

It has been much easier this time - a welcome reset rather than pure self-inflicted misery. But I am already obsessing over what I am going to open next Thursday, Friday Saturday with Burgundy, Northern Rhone and Piedmont vying to be front of the queue.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Almost the same for me, standing up some older bottles. Will probably open either a 1952 Borgogno Riserva Speciale or a 1961 Enrico Serafino Riserva Speciale for the La Festa zoom on Friday. Let me know if you plan to tune in.

Can't decide which Bordeaux and Burg's to open yet though. The 1998 VCC will be opened soon for sure. Maybe 1989 Pichon Baron or 1986 Lynch Bages.

Burgundy will probably be a 2005 Lucien Le Moine Corton Bressandes and 2002 Henri Boillot Clos De La Mouchere.

I'll be making up for a month of no consumption, in $ if not in volume.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

VCC is not a wine you can find at every corner street. And if you find one, you can't pay it with the pennies left in your pocket. I think it is a very special Bordeaux. Having a VCC on my own in a Zoom tasting is like giving myself an engagement ring, it just don't make sense to me. But it is just me, and i understand that some might like to do a Zoom tasting with VCC (i guess you'll be a group between 6 and 9 doing that Zoom tasting, perfect size to discuss). I will have VCC when I'm "in person" with others that can appreciate it.

Nic
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Nicklasss wrote:VCC is not a wine you can find at every corner street. And if you find one, you can't pay it with the pennies left in your pocket. I think it is a very special Bordeaux. Having a VCC on my own in a Zoom tasting is like giving myself an engagement ring, it just don't make sense to me. But it is just me, and i understand that some might like to do a Zoom tasting with VCC (i guess you'll be a group between 6 and 9 doing that Zoom tasting, perfect size to discuss). I will have VCC when I'm "in person" with others that can appreciate it.

Nic
Thats a very good point, and I agree Nic. I will likely have one or two of my good wine friends in the area join me when we do the zoom. So it kills two birds. Who knows when real in person tastings will be a thing again. Looking bleak for the foreseeable future.

But I do have two bottles of this, and want to see how much I enjoy the style and if I want to acquire more as well.

Also for some bottles like this, I would much prefer to just share with 1-2 people at most and be able to track the wine over many hours.
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
Filling the void by going through in the evenings and picking out all the bottles I want to open in February.
>>

That is impressive, Joel. I feel that I am doing well when I remember to ask Lucie at 4PM what we are having for dinner so that I can select and open a wine.
marcs

Post by marcs »

I would be down for doing it Super Bowl Sunday, the 7th, that would be fun
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

marcs wrote:I would be down for doing it Super Bowl Sunday, the 7th, that would be fun
I think I'll personally be more focused on the game and other things. Also Ian said he would need a couple more weeks to access his wine.

However if you wanted to consider an in person VCC later in February along with the zoom Marcus, please let me know. Mark may be joining me.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Would certainly be down for something in person, Joel. I really enjoyed meeting Mark

Re super bowl Sunday next week, seems unlikely to happen, but I had meant doing it before the game so we would go into the game nicely tipsy
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

JoelD wrote:
Nicklasss wrote:VCC is not a wine you can find at every corner street. And if you find one, you can't pay it with the pennies left in your pocket. I think it is a very special Bordeaux. Having a VCC on my own in a Zoom tasting is like giving myself an engagement ring, it just don't make sense to me. But it is just me, and i understand that some might like to do a Zoom tasting with VCC (i guess you'll be a group between 6 and 9 doing that Zoom tasting, perfect size to discuss). I will have VCC when I'm "in person" with others that can appreciate it.

Nic
Thats a very good point, and I agree Nic. I will likely have one or two of my good wine friends in the area join me when we do the zoom. So it kills two birds. Who knows when real in person tastings will be a thing again. Looking bleak for the foreseeable future.

But I do have two bottles of this, and want to see how much I enjoy the style and if I want to acquire more as well.

Also for some bottles like this, I would much prefer to just share with 1-2 people at most and be able to track the wine over many hours.
Impossible to see anybody yet here. But when allowed, if I can get JeanFred, that would surely help to ease my mind and open a VCC.

I'll be very interested in your report JoelD, and all others that will join.

Nic
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

I think limiting it to VCC is problematic. So if you have a bottle, that would be great, otherwise anything Right zBank Bordeaux.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Yes, limiting it to VCC would be problematic. But it would also be kind of awesome. Some of us would be drinking the exact same bottles

maybe...Pomerol in general?
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

How about narrowing it a bit. VCC, or a Right bank from one of the vintages of VCC that will be present to compare. We know at least 1998, 2001, and 2014 will be there. That should give a fairly wide range. Especially since 1998 was such a great vintage. But of course anyone is welcome to join if they don't have one of those. Just thought it might be fun to focus the tasting a little.