The Aquitaine Papers: BWE 2021 Bordeaux Classification

AKR

Re: The Aquitaine Papers: BWE 2021 Bordeaux Classification

Post by AKR »

Claudius2 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:50 pm Ian
Rauzan Gassies is no more than a CB or even Cru Artisan.
I visited the Chateau in 2000 and the people were really friendly but the wines rapidly took the smile off my face.
I am very fond of the flavour characters of Margaux wines but this wine offers little more than disappointment and bewilderment.
C’est la vie.

I have an idea.
Maybe pool our resources and launch a buyout of RG?
Maybe crowdfund whatever else we need.
Cheers
Mark
I've only had a few vintages but both the 2000 and 2005 R-G were very good.

The last (I think) of a six pack of the 2000's

http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/ ... 230#p88230

In fact their reputation might - perversely - make them safe to buy if one sees them in the US.

An importer is likely to only take the risk to bring them over if they have tasted them and are actually sure they are ok.

Sometimes certain estates can only make good wines when all the stars line up.

One just has to keep that in mind, only buying in those situations.
rthomaspaull

Post by rthomaspaull »

In the rather unlikely event that someone is wondering why I use my 2002-14 (excl. 2013) rather than my study of 2002-16 (excl. 2013) to combine with Grundeken, the reason is that the one ending in 2016 has far more ratings that are not by Robert Parker. rthomaspaull
rthomaspaull

Post by rthomaspaull »

I hope nobody will be horrified, but fairly often I score left bank red Bordeaux fairly near Robert Parker's score (we both gave the 2010 Cantemerle, which has a style I really like, and which can be noticeably better on the 2nd night, a 94.5 .) I have had very few of the wines and years in Grundeken or in my 2002-2014 (excl. 2013) study, which was quite predominantly Robert Parker scores, but of the few we both tasted there were seldom big differences in the scores. I am glad I like several different (though not all) styles of left bank red Bordeaux. My wife and I (she likes some very good, if expensive, red wines) have a lot of red Bordeaux (mostly with scores from me of 92.5 to 96.5) without a single bottle bought at too high a price, by my reckoning. At my age it is time for drinking rather than purchasing such wines. All the best to everyone, rthomaspaull
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Richard
I’m in my 60’s and I definitely think it’s time to drink not buy and as I moved to Singapore 11 yrs ago, most Bordeaux is from 2008 onward with only a few cases of 2005’s and little before that.

In regard to Cantemerle the only vintage I really liked was 1989 - somehow I have found it hard to love it. Wasn’t that mad on the 2005 when last tried it but maybe I should be more persistent.

I’m more accepting of RP in relation to Bordeaux and Burgundy than Australian wines. Maybe his palate was jaded by the time he started drink Barossa and Mc Laren Vale wines.
Cheers
Mark
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I have a case of the 2010 Cantemerle, RT, I really loved it upon release.
I wonder when I should crack it open?
I'm guessing it could use another blanquito.