The buzz seems to be all about 2007 Vieux Telegraphe....

JimHow

The buzz seems to be all about 2007 Vieux Telegraphe....

Post by JimHow »

Ranked #3 on the WS Top 100.
96 points from RMP.
High praise from Harry (and others, like Rick).
Sold out quickly at $65 at PJs.
NH had half bottles listed as "on order" at a half dozen or so stores, but now they have disappeared after I inquired about them.
It seems to be a traditionally popular wine that has been especially excellent in recent years.
Chateauneuf du Pape was the "greatest wines from any viticultural region ever" in 2007....
It's going to be pricey at $60-80, but not ridiculously so, like other highly rated RMP or WS new releases....

Don't worry, don't worry, I'm not calling for it to be the BWE Wine of the Year, we'll pick a Bordeaux, I don't want to cause a ruckus again, but: It sure does seem like 2007 Vieux Telegraphe is the wine to buy this year!
Houndsong

Re: The buzz seems to be all about 2007 Vieux Telegraphe....

Post by Houndsong »

So in other words the 2007 CdPs are the best wines ever? This certainly is throwing down the gauntlet to the ad men of the future.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

According to He Who Shall Remain Nameless, the 2007 Chateauneuf du Papes are the greatest wines ever produced in any vintage from any region....
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I have gone long for me in 2007 southern Rhone. I got some real deals, if I end up agreeing with Parker's scores:
Clos du Mont Olivet Cuvee Papet, 98+ RMP points: $47
Santa Duc Les Hautes Garrigues Cuvee Prestige, 97+ RMP points: $45
Raymond Usseglio Cuvee Imperiale, 96 RMP points: $46

Jim, try the regular Usseglio (93 RMP points) and Clos St Jean (94 RMP points) 2007 bottlings, both of which I got for $25. While I haven't tried their 2007s yet, I've really enjoyed these two QPRs in other vintages as did Parker.

That all said, I've had lots of CDR 2007s, but only one CDP 2007. And I was not fond of the style of this 2007 CDP, a domaine whose style I usually love: Vieux Donjon.

It's all sweet, formless fruit right now (though it did improve some on day two). I was surprized that this domaine, with it's well-known ability to seem rustic, was so Aussie. Worse, it offered little in the way of CDP flavors. Made me wonder about the "modern" school in this ripe vintage.

Still, I am confident that the 2007 VD will be worthy of RP's praise some day. Why? Two reasons: if even the 2003 Lascombes is coming around as I hear, what more proof do we need that wines integrate in the bottle? And because I trust RP's soothsaying ability. Funny though, I think RP under-rated the 2005 VD, which I also tasted on release and I loved it.
Last edited by Blanquito on Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Also went long (1 1/2 cases on Rhone is going "long" for me) on 2007, but no Vieux Donjon nor Vieux Telegraphe.

Blanquito: I went long on the 2005 VD. Loved it when tasted on release.
Last edited by Ramon_NYC on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Last month my wine group tasted six 2007 CdP wines and Vieux Telegraphe was one of them. While I would not suggest that our members' palates are "professional, we have a few folks that are pretty knowledgeable and whose tastes I trust. In our tasting the Vieux Telegraphe finished sixth (last)! Two people out of eight had it as their lowest scoring wine, and one person (me) had it in a tie for highest rating. Grant you the point differences were in a pretty narrow range, so being last was only 2 points lower than first.

I do think it is a very nice wine, but I also think that you can get close to that experience in other 07 CdPs for about 50-65% of the cost. Maybe it will be different in 10-15 years, but I won't know unless someone else provides the Vieux Telegraphe.

Jon
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

So after throwing a bouquet at 2008 Bdx (which of course is going to be blown away by the 2009s, right?) HMPWBNLS now is showering gifts on CdP. So those are his two favorite wine regions. Is HMPWBNLS going to exit stage left now or does he have a third favorite region which he must bid farewell to before departing?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Lol ok I'll bite, Hound... Give me a few minutes to guess what HMPWBNLS means....
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Interesting observations on the '07 VT, Jon, but isn't this wine supposed to be generally unforgiving and monolithic upon release? I loved the 2006 VT, I'm inclined to buy some bottles from that vintage, which are still on the shelves in NH, if the 2007s get too crazy in price.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

When we tasted these wines, they had been decanted for 3 hours and them put back in the bottle. Based on my experience, I would not call it unforgiving and monolithic. It was admittedly still a bit tight, but not at all what I would have expected given the reviews I had seen.

Jon
Rick

Post by Rick »

Jim
My friend who was visiting NYC went to Sherry Lehman, as you suggested, and bought the 07 VT as her wine gift.

The 07 VT is just not big like many other VTs I have had in the past.........I just keep thinking Elegant as I have drank 07 VT 3 times

I think I was suggesting a 93pt vs 96 but it was very good and I am glad I have bought it 3 times for about 12 left

I actually have liked the Vieux DonJon and the Janasse Chaupin better the regular Janasse a bit more than the VT
However, they are all tasty

Should be interesting to see how all these 07 CdRs and CdPs evolve...........I hope they do not shut down as so many vintages of S Rhone do

I have recently had an 06 Raymond Usseglio and it was very good for the the prices.......so Jim you may be on to something look for the 06s

rick
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

looking forward to trying the 07 Telegramme which has arrived
Rick

Post by Rick »

uum had not thought about the Telegramme.......anyone tried it?

rick
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I have just scored nine bottles of 2007 Vieux Telegraphe!
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Congratulations, Jim. No small feat to score that wine given the high accolades it has received. As Rick can probably attest, it's pretty hard to find in Chicago right now, though I would not be a buyer anyway at its current asking price.

Jon
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Rick,

I have not tasted the 2007 Telegramme. But I have tasted a couple of earlier vintages. My take is that the Telegramme is less than half the wine for at least half the price of its big brother. For the money, I think you can find other CdPs that are higher quality for comparable price. I think it's a lot like the "second wines" in Bordeaux - you know the first wine got all the best juice.

It will be interesting to hear Jay's view after he tastes his.

Jon
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Agent How reporting in from parking lot of Hampton southbound New Hampshire Liquor Store, nine bottles of 2007 Vieux Telegraphe have been safely secured, am now returning to home base. Over.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Well done, agent How.

VT has been a favorite since I first got into wine in the early '80s. I bought a few 750s on prearrival. Looks like it is still pretty widely available on Wine Searcher for $60-70. Of course here in MD it's now >$80, but you can still find it.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I paid $69 in NH this afternoon.
Attachments
vt.jpg
vt.jpg (25.83 KiB) Viewed 2742 times
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Just looking at those bottles makes me want to go pop one (maybe a '95, not an '07) and sip it in front of the fireplace.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

David,

I'll bet the '95 VT would be lovely about now, especially in front of the fireplace. Why don't you find out!

Jon
Rick

Post by Rick »

Well done agent How

The 95 VT was the only VT to beat out Beaucastel in a vertical i ran a few years ago as Jon N remembers
The 95 VT is a winner too
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Actually, it was my understanding that the 07 Telegramme received more of the Telegraphe juice due to the vintage. Maybe I'll open one tonight.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'll be interested in your report,Jay. The Vieux Telegraphe was great but I guess I had higher expectations. Dare I say it, I recall liking the '06 better. I'll try another sometime in the next couple months to reassess it.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Thanks to your encouragemet, Jim, I pulled myself away from homework and opened a bottle of the '95 VT yesterday. Just finished it tonight with dinner. It was a great wine, perfect for sipping in front of a crackling fire while watching a DVD of LOST season 5 (getting primed for season 6).

1995 Vieux Telegraphe: Dark red core, a little orange at rim. Nice expressive nose of cherry, meat, leather, set funk and savory/umami notes that I can't quite place. Medium body, ripe fruit, nice complexity on palate follows through from nose with savory notes and a nice streak of acid to balance the sweet aged notes, medium finish with fruit holding up nicely. On the next day the fruit has receded a bit and the tannins have come forward some on the finish. This is mature and drinking really well now, might develop additional complexity over the next year or two, and should last another 10 years. Excellent-outstanding.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Mmmm I wonder how the '07 will compare at age fourteen.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Jay Winton wrote:Actually, it was my understanding that the 07 Telegramme received more of the Telegraphe juice due to the vintage. Maybe I'll open one tonight.
Well, I opened the box I thought was 07 Telegramme and found it to be 07 Delas CNDP. I'll have to get Garagiste to ship the VT. However, the magnums of the 07 St. Cosme "Les Deux Albions" CDR are here ; IIRC, DavidG gave this wine a good review. Is it too early to open of these given the format?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I think the St Cosme Deux Albions is drinking well, and wouldn't hesitate to open one now, even in magnum.