TN: 2004 Bodegas y Viñedos Alión Ribera del Duero

JimHow

TN: 2004 Bodegas y Viñedos Alión Ribera del Duero

Post by JimHow »

• 2004 Bodegas y Viñedos Alión Ribera del Duero - Spain, Castilla y León, Ribera del Duero (12/16/2009)
    Deeply extracted. This one of two bottles recently shipped from California reminds me initially of a young Cap de Faugeres. Roasted, Amarone-like on the nose. Man, Spain can gain levels of concentration as extracted as anything in new world Bordeaux, if not more. Not saying that's good or bad, just an observation. I wonder how well this will age? If this were Bordeaux, people would be complaining that it is some Parkerized, Magrez sell-out. Great finish, as expected. Is the '04 Pintia more inky purple-colored? I say yes. I wonder what the oak situation is here, it is well done but might need a little more time to integrate. Unlike some Parkerized new-world right banker that ends up "thin in the 'mid-palate'" <rolls eyes>, though, this wine keeps building in complexity and depth. Is there a fine line between Cap de Faugeres and Bodegas y Vinedos Alion Ribera del Duero? Probably not. Nutty. Blueberries. If I felt this were going to age like a fine Bordeaux, I'd buy a case or two at the $55 "on sale" price at Premier Cru as I write this. By the end it is less Amarone-like, less volatile, less racy, more classy and substantial. This is a wild horse that needs to be lassoed. I'll buy (cautiously) a couple more bottles at the $55 "on sale" price at Premier Cru, but not the case or two. This seems to be a wine of eminence, but i'm not sure the case is yet closed. I'll give it 94 impressive points for the experience tonight, but I reserve the right to change that score up or down after I have those three extra bottles in the fifteen or so years ahead.... Rating: 94 points. (94 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
Attachments
ftud7.jpg
ftud7.jpg (27.17 KiB) Viewed 858 times
Houndsong

Re: TN: 2004 Bodegas y Viñedos Alión Ribera del Duero

Post by Houndsong »

Jim, resist, or give in. You'll feel much better for having decided.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You are right, Hound. I'm going to order six more. That's giving in, wouldn't you say?
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jim,

You've openned Pandora's box entering the Spanish world. Alion is a baby sister from the producers of the Vega Sicilia lineage and just like many other great producers of the world these guys know how to make great wine. Never had a bad Alion to date. These guys age beautifully and you won't be disappointed with a case purchase.This had been a regular buy annually but it has like many others is creeping up in price. I had no problem when it was in the $29-35 range and then it jumped to $45 in around 2000. I still didn't have problems paying this for the quality. Now the 2004 vintage is $80.95 and even though I love this wine with some age I have a hard time justifying the purchase. It's now been discovered locally and has lost it's QPR.$55 is still worth the price when comparing wine values.

Danny
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks for the enablement, Danny, I've been in court all day and my mind has been wandering to that wine from last night. I definitely think it is worth $55, it is a beauty!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Awww, they've increased the price back up to $75.... :cry:
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

You snooze you looze. They must be monitoring the How Net keeping an eye on what you really want then bump the prices!

Danny
Danny
Rick

Post by Rick »

Spain has some good wines......i seem to have an attraction to the Tinto de Toro region however that may be because it sems to be available in Chicago

I just bought (9) 06 Numanathia Termes - 19.99 and (3) of the big brother 06 Numanthia 44.99

the 06 Numanthia is just not in the league with the 05 which I had last weekend - a two orgasim wine
I do think the 06 will get better with time......it is dark, oak, tannins, spicy, chocolate, fruit and good layers but it seems to come in and out as I drink it.............not all those things from start to finish in a smooth integrated fashion 91pts

The 06 Termes is again not as good as the WS #2 2009 wine the 05 Termes but for the deal I got this was a fun and interesting wine...I actually think more enjoyable today than the Numanthia but I have the sense the Numanthia will be a much better wine in a couple of years it is just bigger and more dense......older grapes...92 pts

rick
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

So Rick, I'm curious. Where are you finding the Termes for $19.99 around Chicago? That's a pretty good price.

Jon
Rick

Post by Rick »

Jeff bought all the distributor had and blew it all out in a couple of hours during a Saturday tasting
I was fighting for the last couple of bottles..........this was one of those lucky really good deals that do not happen often enough
rick