TN: 98 Nenin [Pomerol]

AKR

TN: 98 Nenin [Pomerol]

Post by AKR »

a very good 1998 Pomerol
a very good 1998 Pomerol
98 Nenin [Pomerol] The label states 13.5% abv on this, which seems high for its era. I bought a six pack of this on release, along with a case of its little brother, the 98 Fugue de Nenin. For the first decade, I much preferred their deuxieme to the stern, firmer grand vin. This was after the deLeon's of LLC had taken over, and I didn't grasp the changes they had made as older Nenins (of another winemaking regime) circa the 80s and early 90's were chunkier, less long lived. After finishing up their second wine in the first decade, I moved on to the grand vin having a bottle every few years, and only now is it hitting its stride. The glass I'm enjoying now has been open 3 days and is still vibrant. The color remains dark, with years left to run; this 98 has a bouquet of mocha coffee and a long black fruited, plummy palate. The acids and tannins have blurred away, leaving a fine bloom of fruit here. Its amazing how much fruitier it is today than in its teens, when I considered it quite lean. This is a Pomerol which maintains a good slug of Cab Franc in the cepage, according to Jeff Leve's fine website. Despite their ownership, the estate doesn't get much attention, which I've assumed is a result of ambitious pricing. But this was a fine bottle, and gets an A- in my ledger. The cork is quite long, right up there with Sociando Mallet in its length, and suggestive of the DeLeon's aging aspirations.
Last edited by AKR on Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
jal

Re: TN: 98 Nenin [Pomerol]

Post by jal »

Thank you for the note, I'm so glad to hear it as I have one bottle of the stuff.
By the way, I too loved the 1998 Fugue de Nenin, I had a case of it and I also thought it was delicious, darn, it was so easy to buy and drink great Bordeaux 15-18 years ago.
Best

Jacques
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Thanks for the notes. I've only ever had the 16 and 09 at a LLC tasting. Its not a wine I'm familiar with but I liked the 09. Was surprisingly traditional, vegetal even. Only thing that has put me off is the price.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Good notes Arv. 13.5 does seem a tad high on first glance, although i've noticed a fair amount of right bank 98's seem to be in that wheelhouse or even up to 14 for some. Maybe someone can correct me on this.

Sounds like a serious wine. I've really enjoyed a few vintages of Nenin that I have sampled. I wonder if my 2005 is ready to go