TN: Two French bottles with some age

JCNorthway

TN: Two French bottles with some age

Post by JCNorthway »

Last week we went with another couple to one of our favorite restaurants here in Chicago, Les Nomades. It is, in my opinion, one of the finest (if not the finest) restaurants in the city. The atmosphere is anything but modern, and reminds me of a quiet chateau setting in the countryside of France - including a real wood-burning fireplace in the waiting area. We were there because Thursdays are BYO with no corkage - one bottle per couple, which was perfect. We brought a red Burgundy and our friends brought a red Bordeaux. And we started with an Alsacien pinot gris from the restaurant's list.

1983 Faiveley Chambertin Clos de Beze. This was part of a mixed case of 1980's Burgundies I bought from a friend so I could have a few older Burgundies to drink once in a while. Since this was the oldest of my bottles from that case, I was a little uncertain about condition. I should not have worried. This wine was fabulous. This had a wonderful nose you just wanted to keep sniffing. On the palate, the fruit was still very fresh; tannins were not noticeable, but the wine still had adequate structure. I have drunk very few red Burgundies this old, and this may have been the best bottle I've enjoyed of that age.

1970 Gruaud Larose. Another absolute winner. My friend has been buying Bordeaux wines for over 40 years, and has amassed quite a few gems in his cellar. Knowing his collection, I actually guessed this to be a 1970, but I did not guess the producer. Given that little bit of funk on the nose, I probably should have known it was a Gruaud. Anyway, I cannot imagine this wine can drink any better than it was this evening. Underneath that little funk I got wonderful dark fruit aromas. And the palate was very rich and fruity - very "mouthfilling," as they say. It was a perfect wine for the venison and lamb dishes we enjoyed. I have no idea how this wine has been rated by critics over the years. But on this evening it was a 94-95 pt experience.

All in all, quite a wonderful evening of special food and wine in a wonderful setting with top notch service.

Jon
stefan

Re: TN: Two French bottles with some age

Post by stefan »

Nice wines, Jon. Faiveley Burgs, especially the Grand Crus, take a long time to come around.

Will one of the satellite activities at BWE 2010 be at Les Nomades?

stefan
Rick

Post by Rick »

Jon
nice wines!!

I have not been to Les Nomades - sounds like a place to go during BWE10

rick
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

I think they've got a private room that will seat around 45 people. This might be a thought for the main event or a Thus/Fri venue. Foods great and right downtown.Maybe a field trip is in order Rick. I know you just hate being forced to go out and eat good food pushed down with some red stuff.

Danny
Danny
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Jon,

Your experience is a great advertisment for French wines...

Not many wine producing countries can produce natural wines that are in such great form after three and four decades.

All the best,
Alex R.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

stefan wrote:Nice wines, Jon. Faiveley Burgs, especially the Grand Crus, take a long time to come around.

stefan
I can vouch for that. Had a couple of 91 Grand Cru Latricieres earlier this year and they were excruciatingly backward...the 1980 Faiveley Grand Crus are marvellous (as our many 1980 red burgundies in general), but unfortunately I have finished mine and have little hope of finding any more.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

This restaurant is deserving of some BWE attention during our convention activities. Although they do have a private dining area that could probably accommodate our group, I'm a little concerned that the noise level of our big dinners could be a bit disruptive to the setting. The private dining is upstairs, but is not closed off from the main dining area downstairs.

However, we could certainly look into it as an option. My wine group has done dinners there before, so I think we could work with them on a menu and corkage arrangement. And if the Saturday dinner is elsewhere, this place should certainly be considered for a smaller gathering before Saturday.

Jon