Underwhelming 86 Margaux

dstgolf

Underwhelming 86 Margaux

Post by dstgolf »

Our 35th anniversary needed something special but this disappointed. Not sure if just a bad bottle but a little disjointed on opening with some funky Margaux berries to start. Tannins still present and decanted at home 1 1/2hrs prior to dinner then recorked. Certainly tannins softened and wine rounded out but for its pedigree this just did not meet its mark. I bought this at auction 25 +yrs ago so providence prior to this unknown. Drank well with the steak but just wasn't the best Margaux that we've had. It was still a special night with a great girl and wonderful meal. Off to Quebec City in the am to play in the Canadian Seniors Monday. Dinner at la Girolle tomorrow night with our club teaming looking forward to having a group wine dinner at the restaurant that we enjoyed a few years back with Nic/MC, Jim and Danielle. Look forward to a few days of competition and hopefully the game holds up under pressure. Haven't competed in a while so a new beast in front of me. Next weekend our son gets married so a busy time. We'll be back through QC bridging the BWE Washington event and depending on the border maybe Nic/JF could rendezvous if not in DC?
Danny
Musigny 151

Re: Underwhelming 86 Margaux

Post by Musigny 151 »

I have found both 1985 and 1986 Margaux underwhelming.

One tasting I have done blind a few times is pitching Margaux 1986 against Rauzan. The Rauzan has always won and it’s usually universal
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

I have never been a fan of Ch. Margaux 1985. Served at Ch Margaux during Vinexpo 2015, the inauguration of new cellars, it was pretty bland. Same impression while tasted on two occasions later in 2015.

I tasted 1986 Ch. Margaux last time in 1989, and it was fantastic stuff.

dstgolf - your bottle was suffering from heat damage or it had bad provenance?
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

GBF,

You may be right on heat damage as there was some stewed fruit notes on the nose on opening but blew off. Not terrible but I expected more from a Margaux. Similar feeling when we drank the 82 in Fort Lauderdale with the BWE group putting it up against the other 1st growths and even the 82 La Lagune was head and shoulders above the Margaux that night along with all of the other 1sts leaving this in the dust. You anticipate that special wow moment to match the occasion and to be disappointed is not fun.
Danny
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Danny
In my experience Ch. Margaux 1986 is highly variable. Probably more variable than any other wine in my experience. Good bottles literally wipe the floor with anything and that has happened three times in my experience.

1/ At a Margaux dinner in NYC circa 2007 it showed a clean pair of heels to the 1983 and 1982
2/ At a ‘best in cellar’ dinner in London around ten years ago organised by David Wainwright Neal !artin brough Ch. Margaux 1986 matched up against my La Mission 1989 and the Margaux left the Mission for dead, even though the Mission was not faulty
3/ At our 1986 dinner in Manhattan in 2008, Ch. Margaux was my top wine, though Mouton was the group fave.
Sadly there are a lot of bottles of this which are just not great. Sorry that yours was not a great bottle on your anniversary.
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

Sorry about your dud, Danny; I hope the rest of your ‘86s perform better, even if not as well as the marriage. But maybe a sub par wine is a good omen for a string of sub par rounds at the Seniors next week.

I find Margaux to be the most variable of the FGs. Kinda like Forest’s box of chocolates, you never know what you’re going to get. Maybe the younger ones are more consistent but 20th century icons like ‘59, ‘61, ‘82, ‘83, ‘86 and ‘90 are different beyond what I expect for age. But as Mark noted the best bottles are sublime.
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
jal

Post by jal »

Sorry about that Danny, happy anniversary to you and Danielle nevertheless
Best

Jacques
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Stu,

It was very similar to the 82 that we had in Lauderdale that was good but in my mind was totally outshone by the other FGs. C'est la vie. The night was a success regardless with a fabulous meal and the company has been great for over 35yrs so all in all a memorable night. Just arrived in Quebec City and have to recharge with a little snooze before heading over to La Girolle with a few wines in tow for my team. Tourney starts tomorrow so don't want to hit it too heavy tonight especially not to bury my team before we start. There are three components. Better ball tomorrow that I won the National title with 4 yrs back with different partner. Then it's two days of individual and team competition. We represent eastern Ontario/Western Quebec with 10 of us competing against 11 other teams from across the country who all qualified by regional virtual satellite events through the Summer. We'll see what the game brings. I had been playing exceptionally well then game went south 2 weeks ago. Last few rounds closer to where I want it. Fingers crossed and thanks for the good wishes Stu.
Danny
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

s*d*r wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:31 pm Sorry about your dud, Danny; I hope the rest of your ‘86s perform better, even if not as well as the marriage. But maybe a sub par wine is a good omen for a string of sub par rounds at the Seniors next week.

I find Margaux to be the most variable of the FGs. Kinda like Forest’s box of chocolates, you never know what you’re going to get. Maybe the younger ones are more consistent but 20th century icons like ‘59, ‘61, ‘82, ‘83, ‘86 and ‘90 are different beyond what I expect for age. But as Mark noted the best bottles are sublime.
Ian not Mark. ;) Ch Margaux when on form is comfortably the best 1986 from the Margaux appellation. Ch Palmer is also, frustratingly, variable, but good bottles are magnificent. Rauzan-Segla punches several notches above its weight in 1986 and is more consistent than both Margaux and Palmer.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Congratulations, Danny and Danielle.

Best wishes for a successful golf tournament, Danny.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Happy Anniversary Danny and Danielle. Glad you had a memorable evening despite the meh bottle, and that the two of you are aging better than it did. Good luck in the tournament.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Congratulations on the long prosperous union. May the next 35 years be even better!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Thanks for all of the good wishes everyone. Quebec City has come and gone with another great meal at La Girolle with our team from Camelot G & CC along with a few wives in tow. An interesting experience putting this together with mostly non wine people and one who says he loves good with who brought an undrinkable Chateau Timberlay and other couple who asked what they could bring and when I suggested a Champagne to start as a toast to the group they ended up bringing at $13 Albarino Paco Lola that my wife drinks occasionally around the pool. Not a good start. I brought half a dozen wines but nobody wanted to share etc. At least the food was and company were good. You can lead that horse to water...BUT! The food and service were great! Howard they had this foie gras mousse creme brulé that was to die for to start and the lamb loin with Espagnole sauce along with this potato/cheese crocket ...amazing. At least everyone enjoyed the fabulous food and NO charge for corkage. This is still a gem in the rough.

Golf was OK anf realize that in my element (Radiology) there were never any nerves but in competition with the best best in the country the nerves got to me and my putter went wonky finishing 67 in a small field of 150. At least my buddy from our club won the Canadian Seniors this year overall and my two other teammates finished 1/2 in the 75-79 bracket and all three will play for Team Canada next year against team USA next Fall.

Quebec City always a beautiful place to visit but a new discovery finally visiting ile d"Orleans after driving by for 30yrs and bypassing this gem. 4 wineries on the island of which I went in for a tasting at the newest but with the best view ever. The St Lawrence River past the vineyard with the bridge crossing to the island from the mainland along with the spectacular Montmorancy Falls smack in the middle was one of the most beautiful settings anywhere. The wines completely unmemorable but the ambience incredible.

The rest of the island is mainly agricultural with all of their bounty at peak. Strawberries, blueberries and raspberries along with apples, plums and pears all ripe and in the stands along roadside. The cider and vinegar producers, Leak fields,carotts,beets lettuce etc. What a bread basket and the people are super friendly even to us Anglos despite covid!. Hilight of the trip touring the island and stopping to sample, chat and take in the scenery. Wonderful three days away and now getting ready for our sons wedding Saturday. Full house tonight through Monday night and Danielle wound up tighter than a drum but we're looking forward to this special event.
Danny
stefan

Post by stefan »

A family wedding! Congratulations to you and Danielle and the lucky kids.

Too bad about the golf. Putting is funny even at my low level. Sometimes that hole is a foot in diameter and then all of a sudden it shrinks to two inches.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

The island sounds very interesting as does the restaurant where you had dinner. We occasionally find ourselves in similar circumstances with non-wine-geek friends, but we manage to enjoy ourselves in spite of that.

Enjoy your son's wedding!
jal

Post by jal »

Congratulations on your son's wedding Danny and Danielle, have a great time and enjoy the celebrations.
Best

Jacques
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Well, more exciting news! Congratulations on the impending nuptials, hope you both can relax and enjoy once things get underway.