TNs 2002 Branaire 2006 Monsanto CCR

Houndsong

TNs 2002 Branaire 2006 Monsanto CCR

Post by Houndsong »

Briefly, I was expecting the Monsanto to be pretty stern but even with a three hour decant this was the most closed wine I've ever had. Oddly, my wife thought it was great. To start it had a sweet, slightly sweaty bouquet and this became ever so slightly floral over the course of time. This and the absence of overt TCA characteristics were the only hopes I had for this. There is an undoubted substantial palate presence, perhaps owing to the 14% abv (although this did not show at all) and I thought it markedly acidic (due to the lack of anything else) and although firm the tannins are not harsh or drying. The next day it showed a lot more sweetness, confirming that it was not a flawed bottle. If you want to tackle one of these, think twice or decant overnight. An $18 wine in need of cellaring.

The Branaire though young was a comparative walk in the park. A cedary, ashy, acrid bouquet with ripe but not overripe cabernet notes. Nice fruit, black plum like and snappy,expanding and softening on extended palate contact. A saline quality. Excellent length. Firm tannins. This should be very good in several years.
Chasse-Spleen

Re: TNs 2002 Branaire 2006 Monsanto CCR

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Thanks for your notes, Hound. It's good to see that Monsanto has returned to their more classic style. Some of their more recent vintages were decidedly new world and easy drinking.
Happy New Year!
-Chasse
William P

Post by William P »

Thanks for the note Hound.I went through a 1/2 case of the Branaire all too fast It was a great bargain at the time.
Claret

Post by Claret »

I picked up a few bottles based on the BWE recommendation from a good Zachy's sale a few years ago. I have been letting them sleep and it is good to hear that they are progressing well.

Glenn
Glenn
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I too have both of these wines in the cellar, so it's nice to get a peek into their evolution.

I had the 2004 Monsanto CCR recently, and it was pretty darn good. Young but already delish. I've bought 7 of the '06 for the future.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Thanks for the notes.
It's good to see that another 2002 from the Medoc progressing nicely.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Hound,
I'm drinking the '06 Monsanto CCR right now and I must say, my impressions are totally different from yours. Probably you arrived in the same place on day two, maybe, but I decanted for no more than one hour plus and there was plenty going on and not nearly so stern as your bottle. Going by your notes, I was wondering what I would find or if there was any point at all, but one of my friends (the wine director) really liked this wine so I figured it was more open or at least workable than you found, although the salesman at Garnet wasn't so positive. Anyway, I will post tomorrow. Great wine! Reminds me of the '05 Produttori del Barbaresco in terms of the oak and cherry/vanilla flavors and some other aspects but of course much less ferociously tannic. But similar in the QPR category, meaning really good.
-Chris
stefan

Post by stefan »

The evidence mounts that on the left bank '02 is a very good vintage for those who love classic Bordeaux.

stefan
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Chris, there's no telling about my bottle of Monsanto. If I hadn't seen improvement on day two I would have said it was corked even in the absence of any overt characterisitics. Kathy is also a good TCA detector too and she thought the wine was great (although to be sure she likes them very austere). Maybe my palate was off or maybe the wine was just that closed. Glad you enjoyed yours. I'll wait a while before opening another. I've got the 06 Nippozzano from Frescobaldi to investigate in the meantime and from what I've read it is supposed to be more forward than the Monsanto.

I also wouldn't rush to have another Branaire although this seems to have everything needed to make a nice mature claret. I think the Clerc Milon is more user-friendly at this point.