My take on my wines from Friday and Saturday

Harry C.

My take on my wines from Friday and Saturday

Post by Harry C. »

First, I remind you of the “Arthur Johnson” rule (Arthur is a fellow Philly area Enophile) who says “you always like the wine your brought”.
1995 Figeac en Magnum. Surprise of the tasting for me. RMP initially rated it in the upper 80s. Gradually improved to 92 points. Garnet. Nose was typical Bordeaux with a green edge. This mellowed over time. Rich, mouth filling. I rate it 96.
1997 Phelps Insignia en Magnum. Deep garnet. Rich nose of plums, tobacco, clove. Taste was mouth filling and long lasting. A major yum for a Cal cab. I rate 97, RMP gives it 100.
2014 Morlet Proportion d’Oree. Pale yellow. Nose a candle wax, citrus, pear, vanilla. Taste was smooth, oily- in a good way. Citrus. I rated 98, RMP 100. I mentally voted most painfully overlooked wine of the tasting.
2000 Haut Bergey very deep garnet. Nose somewhat “spoofilated” big fruits, hard to place, taste more Bordeaux like-but short in the mouth. Brought blinded as this got some negative press on this site and it shows both signs of the coin. I rated 88. Good with pizza wine at the release price of 20$. Nose was young for 21 year old.
JimHow

Re: My take on my wines from Friday and Saturday

Post by JimHow »

Loved the 97 Phelps Insignia, Harry, likewise the 95 Figeac.
Great to see you this weekend, thanks for bringing those beauties.
My 2006 Pichon Lakande that I brought to the anything but Bordeaux dinner was boring as a 93 Batailly.