Moose hunting wines

Nicklasss

Moose hunting wines

Post by Nicklasss »

Unfortunately no killing, but lot of wining...

2017 Principiano Fernando Serralunga Barolo: a killer. It is the first time that I drink a young Barolo that is so good. Acidic red cherries and red berries, flowers, incense. Mouth is typical nebbiolo, kind of foggy fruit with violet flowers, spices and tar, all in a medium but long aftertaste way. Delicious. Tn: 92.

2017 La Massa Toscana: very fruity, good richness, mix of red and black berries, rasberries and light cinnamon. Very good. Tn: 89.

2018 Tenuta Perano Chianti Classico Frescobaldi: serious blackfruit character, thyme and leather. Grainy, austere, remind me more mourvedre than sangiovese, but good. Tn: 88.

2019 Chianti Puro Fattoria Lavacchio: lighter style, red fruits, cherries, cinnamon, quaffable. Good acidity, light structure, not very long. Tn: 84.

2020 Filippe Soave Castelcerino: exotic pears, pinneaple, with some sweet dry weed. Lot of residual SO2 in that bottle, not everyone appreciate. Tn: 85.

2014 Chateau La Papeterie Montagne Saint Émilion: classic 2014 mold, very good fruit, backup by nice terroir minerals and very light oak. Medium body, sligthly austere but decent long dark fruited merlot finish. Very good. Tn: 88.

2016 Chateau la Justice Fronsac: same owners than Chateau la Rivière. Good 100 % merlot from the right bank. That sweet merlot berries, with light black currants, creamy flowers and light touch of brown sugar. Convenient and good. Tn: 88.

2018 Coudoulet de Beaucastel: a baby Beaucastel, with all the garrigues, dark fruit, leather, anise, dark red fruit tones. Mouth is medium concentration and evolve at each new glass. Textbook Côte du Rhône, with class. Tn: 90.
Last edited by Nicklasss on Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Re: Moose hunting wines

Post by JimHow »

Too bad you probably can't bring any moose meat across the border, I'll bet that would be awfully tasty with some fine northern Medoc and Maine lobster.
That venison dish we had in Quebec when Danny/Danielle were in town was amazing.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I wonder if there is some connection between "lot of wining" and "no [moose] killing"?

Is northern Medoc the wine of choice for a dinner of moose? My experience is this regard is zero.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jim,

They had another version of venison on the menu a couple of weeks back that was absolutely 5*. Sweetbread(Ris de Veau) starter was incredible. Only things missing were our Quebecois companions and American terrorist. Another time for sure. The restaurant La Girolles is still firing on all cylinders and so reasonably priced for the quality along with free corkage. Can't beat it for those that find themselves in Quebec City. Lots of more acclaimed restaurants at more than twice the price but this still came in again as the best restaurant meal of our trip.
Danny
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

PS.

I had a flashback and forgot to mention the foie gras creme brulé app that Howard $$ would die for!! That man can eat foie for breakfast/lunch and supper along with midnight snack....unless things have maybe changed??
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Mmm that was mouthwatering Danny, we’ll see you again soon, I need to get up to Canada for some R&R. Should have a clearer picture of the Alaska situation after Nov 2nd, when we have our final Pretrial hearing.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

La Girolle is a great restaurant, but a bit off the regular touristic attractions of Québec city. Sorry we missed it Danny, but my understanding is that you were in very good company anyway. End of summer has been hard with me changing job, and more money out for all kind of reasons.

But i hope we can see you soon.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Moose hunting screams Syrah and Northern Rhône’s to me but then again, I’ve never been moose hunting.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Like for almost all animal we eat, all depend of what it has been eating.

If the moose has eaten mainly fir, sprice and little berries, the meat is more tasty and would go well with Northern Rhône, especially if with a light black pepper sauce.

If it was leave trees and little fruits the dish of the animal, the meat is way more refined so can go with a nice refined Bordeaux of Bourgogne.

The wild moose don't have fat, so not too much tannins needed.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

What kind of wines do moose hunt?

Looks like you had a good time, Nic, which is what really counts.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

You're right David. Being a few days with my brother and two of my cousins, without women, kids, internet, news, music, ... imagine how you disconnect from normal life!